Can't boot, even in Safe Mode w/Networking

dyando28115@yahoo.com

Thread author
Dec 14, 2012
all the removal guides I have read thru assume I can run things and I do not know how to has I continually get the blue error screen. not sure what to do first to get to a place where I can run the programs outlined in a lot of the malware removal guides. regarding the OTL and aswMBR scan item above; since I can't get past the error screen I cannot run any scanning program to produce a log (not sure how to proceed). sorry.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hello, welcome to MalwareTips.

I'm Fiery and I will be assisting you with your computer issues. I notice you said there were messages that said "system shut down on them 12.11 or 12.12." Were these error messages that suddenly occurred and did you download or install any software prior to getting these messages?

If you can't boot, we are going to be using a Windows Recovery Environment to help disinfect the system so it may boot again. You will need access to another computer and a CD to perform the following. If you rather use an USB for this, please follow the instructions here

If you choose to use a CD,

Download the OTLPE Standard REATOGO Windows Recovery Environment.
  • Place a blank CD-R disc in to your CD burning drive.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe and double-click on it to burn to a CD using ISO Burner.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to Non-Microsoft
    • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
    • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\_OTL\MovedFiles
    • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
    • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

dyando28115@yahoo.com

Thread author
Dec 14, 2012
tried to go the USB route and got the following (for some reason I cannot copy in a printscreen to show you the error message...

cannot open output file

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Are you using 7-zip to extract the files?

I just tried it with WinRAR and it worked fine on a XP machine. Try using WinRAR and see if that works.

http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.html

EDIT: And I just want to be sure, you can't access the desktop screen in normal mode right?

EDIT2: If the USB option doesn't work, then try the CD option.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.