Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Removed: HitmanPro.Alert 3.0.25 Rc (from Windows 8.1 only)

Loss of keyboard functionality placed me in a conundrum.:confused: The actual keyboard could not be used for password pop up windows. Unable to allow an exception for HitmanPro.Alert in Avast! hardened mode (touch screen keyboard did not work in Avast!'s pop up hardened password window). After using screen keyboard all day (it's actually quite good!) I was eventually able to devise <copying> the password from notepad in order to <paste> thus allowing access. Alert trial period was listed as expired, although I'd applied update to free version.:oops: After removal with CCleaner, hardware keyboard works again!:) :cool:

PS @nissimezra, you did try to warn me.;)
If you have a clean computer and you are one of the forum member and watching some of britec09 video you dont need more than 1 AV. you can have MBAM install for emergency but not running it as on demand on weekly basis.
you can use MSERT.EXE for second opinion scanner, it might not have a high detection but for sure won't damage your OS. remembe if you have auto update on MS scan your pc once a month.

Reactions: Logethica

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Removed: HitmanPro.Alert 3.0.25 Rc (from Windows 8.1 only)

Loss of keyboard functionality placed me in a conundrum.:confused: The actual keyboard could not be used for password pop up windows. Unable to allow an exception for HitmanPro.Alert in Avast! hardened mode (touch screen keyboard did not work in Avast!'s pop up hardened password window). After using screen keyboard all day (it's actually quite good!) I was eventually able to devise <copying> the password from notepad in order to <paste> thus allowing access. Alert trial period was listed as expired, although I'd applied update to free version.:oops: After removal with CCleaner, hardware keyboard works again!:) :cool:

PS @nissimezra, you did try to warn me.;)
there are so many ways through windows itself to protect the files.
create a partition
save all impotent data in it.
enable admin account.
prevent access to the partition to all users but the administrator.
so even if ransomeware encrypt your window partition it won't have permission to make changes to that partition, only the built in admin account has. you may lose window partition but not your files
http://www.maketecheasier.com/block-users-ntfs-partition-windows/

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Added to Windows 8.1:

Installed - Sandboxie beta 4.15.12 which remedied post Tuesday Microsoft update incompatibilities. *This rectified non-functionality (spelled :eek:c-r-a-s-h-e-s) in all browsers, even IE, including all portable mozilla sourced browsers.

Re-Installed - Mozilla Firefox 35.0.1 which corrected "Browser cannot open XP.COM"

Removed from Windows 7 SP 1:

Following a prompt by Emsisoft, removal of Oracle Virtual Box Driver was performed for reasons of incompatibility. This was quite smooth, to which I commend Emsisoft for their easily accessed step by step instructions (posted on their knowledge database).:cool:

Added to Windows 7 SP 1:

Installed - Emsisoft Internet Security 9
I like it! Let's hope my wifeo_O echos my feelings!!:D
*To be continued.;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
If avira free worked with comodo firewall I would use it
@Billcomputerman123, I imagine I shall try Comodo Firewall someday.;) If Avira Free is incompatible,:confused: do you know of a worthy compatible AV (besides Comodo's) you'd consider pairing with their famous firewall?o_O

Added: "Adblock Latitude" extension, a fork of Adblock plus developed by Palemoon which is compatible with their browser.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Avast or avg

Thank you, they also happen to be the (2) very first free AVs I'd ever tried!:D Too bad Avira Free doesn't get along with comodo,:( & I'd nearly chosen comodo but went with Privatefirewall for our XP system (last year) instead. It's sleeps now all the time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
S

starchild76

hey catman , how is emsisoft internet security playing out for you? I have been running this program for a few days now , and I like it a lot. She stole my heart , just like AVG did many , many moons ago.....yes....finally a new life partner ( besides my living and breathing one that is ;) ) did some tweaks to the firewall , because pc flank showed some open ports , but im sailing the digital higways smooth , system purs nicely.....just like your cats at feeding time :p some people do not like it , because of the frequent bsod's , have not encountered one yet ( running emet at max , unchecky and zemana anti malware along with it ) , no hiccups.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Just when I thought it was safe to read someone else's config... *shakes fist at portable browsers*... I want IE11 to be the only browser running on this PC.

I was shaking my fist earlier this week:mad: because after Windows updates I couldn't get IE or any other browser, with the sole exception of Opera, to work without eventually crashing. Happily, Windows & Sandboxie are friends:):) once more, and IE's up and running again!:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
hey catman , how is emsisoft internet security playing out for you? I have been running this program for a few days now , and I like it a lot. She stole my heart , just like AVG did many , many moons ago.....yes....finally a new life partner ( besides my living and breathing one that is ;) ) did some tweaks to the firewall , because pc flank showed some open ports , but im sailing the digital higways smooth , system purs nicely.....just like your cats at feeding time :p some people do not like it , because of the frequent bsod's , have not encountered one yet ( running emet at max , unchecky and zemana anti malware along with it ) , no hiccups.

@starchild76, ..loved your description of such a positively 'positive' experience with Emsisoft IS!!:):)

So far, I've really liked it's promise of what's to come, even with a few hiccups following a failure to launch.:confused: No BSOD yet, but after installing it on Windows 7, the initial scan was paused, and later inadvertently shut down. Afterwards, there was no Internet connection, even with a strong signal available. I've tried using Revo un-installer to fully remove the incompatible Virtual Box. I've downloaded the hot-fix, but most likely won't need it. Tomorrow we'll try re-installing.:)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Update:
Today happily marked the successful & satisfying re-installation of Emsisoft Internet Security 9 onto Windows 7 SP 1!!:):) @illumination, a Big Thank You goes to You for such words, both instructive and encouraging, that prevented me from packing it in and switching our Avast! (or something else easy) for Emsisoft which would have been done simply to make things copacetic,:oops: even if it meant actually, in truth, giving up. Revo Uninstaller is one tool worthy of praise!!:):) Thanks @exterminator20 whose posted comments epitomize (for many of us) the essence of that second word which makes the name of this site complete, "...Tips"!!:cool:
@starchild76, thank you for asking after what you have come to know from you own discovery, that 'smooth purring' like feeding time for the cats; and how not all people like it, while Emsisoft's IS/Firewall can be paralleled as a new life partner (besides your 'living breathing one')!:p I will say that I am very impressed, and it was worth the extra effort to find compatibility. It's far simpler than lots of other things in life..o_O:rolleyes: (1) detection was made during the initial scan, "detection: application.installAd" which was quarantined although it risk level indicated "no risk". We're beginning with their 30 day trial, after which our key shall be entered so as to get the most out of this excellent suite.;)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Hi there. On the Linux machine, I assume you are running Lubuntu in the old rig. If so, have you considered using LXLE? 12.04 for 32 bits and 14.04 has 64bits. Have a look and play around with it.
The 14.04 version has some fixes which in official Lubuntu 14.04 you have to manually do it despite not affecting everyone.

Lubuntu 14.10 is considered a "test bed" for the upcoming final iteration of LX and QT desktop. On a side note, I have tested LXQT on a different distro. looks promising.

PS: With LXLE you actually get the Ubuntu LTS release cycle (5 years), as opposed to official Lubuntu LTS cycle for the 14.04 which I believe is 3 years.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi there. On the Linux machine, I assume you are running Lubuntu in the old rig. If so, have you considered using LXLE? 12.04 for 32 bits and 14.04 has 64bits. Have a look and play around with it.
The 14.04 version has some fixes which in official Lubuntu 14.04 you have to manually do it despite not affecting everyone.

Lubuntu 14.10 is considered a "test bed" for the upcoming final iteration of LX and QT desktop. On a side note, I have tested LXQT on a different distro. looks promising.

PS: With LXLE you actually get the Ubuntu LTS release cycle (5 years), as opposed to official Lubuntu LTS cycle for the 14.04 which I believe is 3 years.

Hi Inkurax. I was just thinking about something I'd written about lubuntu being the perfect distro. That was a long time ago, lol. Thank you for mentioning LXLE. It is actually an image I'd downloaded, liked, but set aside. Apart from maintaining it's updates on Virtual Box, I'd all but forgotten my goal (you've reminded me here!) of replacing lubuntu with LXLE! Now, it's all coming back as I'm also remembering @illumination's tip that I add additional RAM to the 1 GB (yes) of the old rig's hardware. I've also been impressed by Ubuntu which I've enjoyed escaping from the care of Windows while on the (1) other VM. It's been a while, though I also liked Manjaro Open Box quite a lot. Back to LXLE, I'm excited about it once more.:) So, thank you for waking up that part of my brain that forgets to have the fun it needs, and the adventure it craves!:D

Update:

Removed from Windows 7 SP 1: Emsisoft Internet Security 9 - Following startups with no network connection (again). Attempts were made to correct this without success. It's disappointing because I truly like the feel of this suite!:oops: *Sigh

A request for assistance has been filed via email with Emsisoft,*crosses fingers* so (in the meantime) Windows Firewall & MSE have been reactivated, hopefully for a very short duration.;)

Last edited:
S

starchild76

Hi Inkurax. I was just thinking about something I'd written about lubuntu being the perfect distro. That was a long time ago, lol. Thank you for mentioning LXLE. It is actually an image I'd downloaded, liked, but set aside. Apart from maintaining it's updates on Virtual Box, I'd all but forgotten my goal (you've reminded me here!) of replacing lubuntu with LXLE! Now, it's all coming back as I'm also remembering @illumination's tip that I add additional RAM to the 1 GB (yes) of the old rig's hardware. I've also been impressed by Ubuntu which I've enjoyed escaping from the care of Windows while on the (1) other VM. It's been a while, though I also liked Manjaro Open Box quite a lot. Back to LXLE, I'm excited about it once more.:) So, thank you for waking up that part of my brain that forgets to have the fun it needs, and the adventure it craves!:D

Update:

Removed from Windows 7 SP 1: Emsisoft Internet Security 9 - Following startups with no network connection (again). Attempts were made to correct this without success. It's disappointing because I truly like the feel of this suite!:oops: *Sigh

A request for assistance has been filed via email with Emsisoft,*crosses fingers* so (in the meantime) Windows Firewall & MSE have been reactivated, hopefully for a very short duration.;)

emsisoft has an unbelievably good customer support , they really care about them! so I would not worry too much about that. I am pretty sure they will do their upmost best , to solve this for you....whatever it takes. have a nice weekend catman ( in my head I hear that early / mid 60's batman tune right now :p )

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If you like open box give crunchbang a try. Runs openbox as window manager and tint2 as panels. Based on Debian stable and it's rock solid and even lighter than lubuntu. Takes a bit of time to customize tint2 but then again there are tools for it. If you intend to install grub customizer use the old version from ppa and then just install the Deb file. Version 4 works only with Debian Testing branch and newer. Crunchbang is also very lightweight and their community very helpful. Still uses 3.2 kernel but you can always enable backports repos by editing the sources list file.

Here is the sources list generator: http://debgen.simplylinux.ch

Edit here is a review despite its time still fully applicable since only thing changed in crunchbang is the versions of some apps

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/crunchbang-waldorf.html

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
emsisoft has an unbelievably good customer support , they really care about them! so I would not worry too much about that. I am pretty sure they will do their utmost best , to solve this for you....whatever it takes. have a nice weekend catman ( in my head I hear that early / mid 60's batman tune right now :p )

Now, I can hear the theme music to "Batman" too! "Dada-dada-dada-dada...Da, BATMAN!", lol!!:D
starchild76, thank you for your understanding and uplifting experience with Emsisoft ...and for making me smile by turning on the invisible radio in my head!!:):)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
If you like open box give crunchbang a try. Runs openbox as window manager and tint2 as panels. Based on Debian stable and it's rock solid and even lighter than lubuntu. Takes a bit of time to customize tint2 but then again there are tools for it. If you intend to install grub customizer use the old version from ppa and then just install the Deb file. Version 4 works only with Debian Testing branch and newer. Crunchbang is also very lightweight and their community very helpful. Still uses 3.2 kernel but you can always enable backports repos by editing the sources list file.

Here is the sources list generator: http://debgen.simplylinux.ch

Edit here is a review despite its time still fully applicable since only thing changed in crunchbang is the versions of some apps

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/crunchbang-waldorf.html

Thank you Inkurax,:) I shall enjoy your recommended reading with an eye on test driving the crunchbang distro within the near & foreseeable days to come!:D
I love hearing about good communities and how they reflect a quality shared which flows from the distro to the level of kernel and everything in between!;)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
On a side note, check crunchbang forums screenshot posts of the month. some are not crunchbang but other debian distros for more advanced users but the eye candy, yet simple. Who said you need KDE for eye candy.

It includes eye candy on terminal level as well, i.e urxvt with custom colours etc.

Here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=38849 for February, and you can find on the main section other months.

Enjoy

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Update:

Hey Cats ... !!

A "heads-up" - you're likely to receive a faster initial response if you post your issue on the Emsisoft Internet Security support forum:

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/70-emsisoft-internet-security/

Include the following in your support request:

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum-7...ormation-to-include-in-your-support-requests/

NOTE: There is limited support on weekends (essentially limited to malware removal).

From my experience it is highly likely that Emsi staff will get it all sorted out... it just requires some patience as it is a very small team.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.