Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I must have OCD when it comes to security, I now have 3 portable HDD's so if I do get struck by the deadly Crypto Ransomware, I am fully covered and prepared! :)

So, Cats, will you be upgrading to Windows 10, or like me sticking with 8.1?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I must have OCD when it comes to security, I now have 3 portable HDD's so if I do get struck by the deadly Crypto Ransomware, I am fully covered and prepared! :)

So, Cats, will you be upgrading to Windows 10, or like me sticking with 8.1?
I'm smiling as I recall the IT staff's reaction when you'd asked whether your medical software would work with Windows 8.1!:):)
Like you, Tony, I shall continue on with 8.1 (holding my breath with a hopeful & open heart) whilst waiting & watching from the wings for any signs of smoke:cool: or rather swarms of :eek:bugs which may rise before eventually dissipating!:rolleyes:
A greater step shall be when I let go of Windows XP in favor of either an upgrade to 7 SP 1 or 8.1 to follow a freeing addition of more RAM to our Dell Tower's 1 GB.;)

I'm hoping Santa will remember to bring me my first portable HDD!o_O :D
Perhaps (for us) 'OCD' might also stand for Overly Cautious Decision making, and can thusly be equated with the performance we'd prefer our automobiles to possess while at the same time trying to squeeze out the most kilometers per liter, or as we Yanks say: "Miles per gallon"!:D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Very true cats, it will probably crash a few systems, at least I know 8.1 works fine. I love your posts, I think you are truly amazing and great fun!
Before I allow any more time to pass further, I simply wanted to say:
Thank you, Tony!!:):):)
Your own effective practice of administering words filled with fun added to love, & placed upon humor, as your signature accurately states: 'creativity', 'passion', & 'hope', means we are allowed to receive your own generous flair for healing without having to be bed ridden (yet), ..that is, except for times we give in to our MT addiction by taking our laptops or tablets with us when the lights are out, & we should really be sleeping!!:p:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
lubuntu 14.04

Added:
  1. f.lux lighting app for those lateo_O( & not so late) nights.:cool:
  2. Slimjet Browser x86 (installed) I've liked it's Windows incarnation, & it is proving more quick & responsive than it's big Google brother, Chrome.:p Does anyone know whether Google safe browsing is essentially their phishing protection service which I am no longer seeing? Regardless, I'm enjoying it. Cheers @frogboy!:):) You'd reminded me I, in fact, do have a choice ..even on linux!:D

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
lubuntu 14.04

Added:
  1. f.lux lighting app for those lateo_O( & not so late) nights.:cool:
  2. Slimjet Browser x86 (installed) I've liked it's Windows incarnation, & it is proving more quick & responsive than it's big Google brother, Chrome.:p Does anyone know whether Google safe browsing is essentially their phishing protection service which I am no longer seeing? Regardless, I'm enjoying it. Cheers @frogboy!:):) You'd reminded me I, in fact, do have a choice ..even on linux!:D
An excellent update ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
An excellent update ;)
@Jo Man, I find your positive reinforcement to be quite excellent too!!:):)
Hello friends state using Emisoft Antimalware and the truth is that in protection very good, but very high consumption of resources, analysis processor to 90 per cent and use I7 4790 K, ram memory used 500 MB more than ESET, slower navigation and the windows startup.
Thank you, @vindiesel.:) Among the reasons I shall trial EAM is it's reputation in protection, as you've stated, being 'very good'. I shall consider the resource demands you have observed, & hope they'll balance well on our Windows 8.1!

Update:
Windows XP SP 3
Added - f.lux (to soften the glare after dark):cool:

Windows 8.1 shared as an anecdote
Added (after numerous attempts) to Virtual Box -
ubuntu Mate 15.04 i386
*Installation Tip: Unchecking install with file encryption = success.;)
The moment of truth is nowo_O as I <click> restart.:p
Edit udate: Well, what 'looked' like a successful ubuntu install restarted only to testing the distro from ISO dic image.:confused: There may be a problem with the installer.
CCleaner happened to clear 9 gigabytes,:confused: so we know where the installation all went:eek: after all, lol!:D :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
@Jo Man, I find your positive reinforcement to be quite excellent too!!:):)

Thank you, @vindiesel.:) Among the reasons I shall trial EAM is it's reputation in protection, as you've stated, being 'very good'. I shall consider the resource demands you have observed, & hope they'll balance well on our Windows 8.1!

Update:
Windows XP SP 3
Added - f.lux (to soften the glare after dark):cool:

Windows 8.1 shared as an anecdote
Added (after numerous attempts) to Virtual Box -
ubuntu Mate 15.04 i386
*InstallationTip: Unchecking install with file encryption = success.;)
The moment of truth is nowo_O as I <click> restart.:p
Thanks bro :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1:
Removed - Firefox browser. Lack of reasonable responsiveness (freezing) became unbearable for so many whom (including myself) have grown to love the orange logo browser.:( The good news is I am...

.. now using Pale Moon x64 portable.:cool:

Extensions include Adblock Latitude *fork for Adblock plus, Encrypted Web *fork for HTTPS Everywhere, BluHell Firewall, NoScript, Self-Destructing Cookies, LastPass, Theme Font & Size Changer, & .CMO URL Fixer.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Removed from Windows 8.1:
  • Avast! Premier with (1) week remaining, the pop up warnings were not so bad, and I've come to realize how attached I'd become :confused:(silly me) to this fine Security Suite which warned me of malicious sites whilst working in a very unobtrusive way. I never loaded it's firewall, opting for Windows Firewall.

Reactivated (in the interim):
  • Windows Defender
..which updated it's many definitions whilst I'd uninstalled Avast!, though maybe multi-tasking in this way is not the model of wisdom!o_O :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Cats-4_Owners-2 ... why not supplement Windows Defender with NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro ? It's freeware !
Thank you @hjlbx. NVT Exe Radar Pro has been one of those items far closer than the 'gold' (free gold) in the pot at the end of the rainbow. I have heard positive testimony, ...just like here, and would certainly like to come to know it up close and more personally!:D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1 update:

Installed - Norton Security 2015
..which was really a snap once I finally got started.:rolleyes: It only took a while because one of our cats is sick :(, important appointments, and crucial distractions ...like having to eat!:p

I am truly impressed with Norton's smooth operation, & I like it's user interface.:cool: Thank you @frogboy for steering me toward a safe harbor with the familiar name that is also wonderful & new!:):)

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
First and most important i hope your cat feels better soon. :(

Secondly what a great addition Norton Security will be to your setup. :D

I do hope you continue to enjoy it, i am sure you will. :p:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, frogboy.;) We have an appointment tomorrow morning for our eldest whom is scheduled for an effective :eek:injection to beat the infection! As I look over my right shoulder, he is wide awake but resting in the center of the couch. Ah, he's fading now as I shall be soon enough.;)

..and as for Norton, I am so impressed that I shall recommend it to WinXPMan for his new (refurbished) desktop!:D

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Windows 8.1 update:

Installed - Norton Security 2015
..which was really a snap once I finally got started.:rolleyes: It only took a while because one of our cats is sick :(, important appointments, and crucial distractions ...like having to eat!:p

I am truly impressed with Norton's smooth operation, & I like it's user interface.:cool: Thank you @frogboy for steering me toward a safe harbor with the familiar name that is also wonderful & new!:):)
Great bro, Norton is very reliable and efficient.
Malware hasn't chances with Norton! :) :p
I hope your beautiful cat feels better :)
Thanks for sharing your updates ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.