Cavehomme's Config

Cavehomme

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 16, 2014
As a newbie here is my main config.

By the way just noticed that I want to change something on it, how do I edit the security config, or even delete it and start again? I can see a way of doing that.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do the two Bitdefender products work nicely together?

Reports that MBAM v2 will freeze 32-bit Windows, so it's better to use v1.75 until they fix the issue.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Nice Config!
I believe you can't edit your security config yet. Only mods can edit it. Ask them if you want an edit. :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Moved from posting on "Bitdefender. Is it good enough?"
I guess I got a bit carried away, I finally found something that worked very effectively and was zero hassle. I had just spent a weekend trying to get the supposedly easy-to-use MSE working, but the scheduling and updating just kept on failing. It could be an issue with my registry perhaps, or remnants of another AV but I've tried to remove them to the best of my ability. Tried loads of other AVs over the years. Finally installing BD free and getting zero hassle, I was in a happy place and I placed a couple of reviews on software sites. I guess my review-style was not an appropriate style to introduce myself on this forum, so I apologise if I wound-up some people the wrong way, it was not intended, I can see your point of view.
I'd wanted to address your registry problem here as I thought someone more knowledgeable might be able to help.

As on your system, Firefox was my own default browser, to which I'd added a battery of security extensions most of which were introduced to me through members here!:) They include HTTPS Everywhere, Adblock Plus, NoScript, Ghostery, Disconnect, WOT, & LastPass. Lately, I've been sailing on the H.M.S. Chrome browser after crossing over from the banks of XP & into the land of lumbuntu. I find it passes through the waters of the internet a bit more keenly (Chrome does, rendering images, when compared to Firefox in lubuntu). I too need to update my configuration.:rolleyes: One method I've thought over, & think I've seen others use, is to copy the config, & paste it changing details along with your updates & comments while continuing the string you created, but as XhenEd suggested, it is always good to ask!o_O:p
Thanks for sharing your configuration! Oh, one more thing. I recommend you try Sandboxie Free www.sandboxie.com You won't regret it.:cool:

Last edited:

Cavehomme

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 16, 2014
.... HTTPS Everywhere, Adblock Plus, NoScript, Ghostery, Disconnect, WOT, & LastPass. Lately, I've been sailing on the H.M.S. Chrome browser ....I recommend you try Sandboxie Free www.sandboxie.com

I do use ADP, the web would be unusable without it, all those ads are crazy :eek:. NoScript also drove me crazy, it basically is too effective in removing everything and takes too much effort for me to manage so that I have a usable web experience, and I think I prefer to outsource my web malware detection to an AV company, hopefully BD can do the job well enough so as not to need NoScript. It's another reason that I don't use Sandboxie, tried it two years ago and I had all sorts of conflicts. I did try to use Avast virtualbox or whatever it is called on Firefox but it kept crashing because it could not deal with the container plugin exe. I reckoned that the AV web filters should hopefully do their job. Thanks for the suggestions though, I might try Sandboxie once again to see if it has improved in the past two years.

Last edited:

Cavehomme

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 16, 2014
Do the two Bitdefender products work nicely together?

Reports that MBAM v2 will freeze 32-bit Windows, so it's better to use v1.75 until they fix the issue.

Yes, the 2 BD products work together without problems so far. Safepay includes an AV scanner and runs a quick AV scan as you launch it which seems to check memory and common areas for malware.

This scanning is an option which can be disabled, and I have done so, since I am running the BD product already, but if someone has another AV then I guess this is a good option to leave switched on in order to have a second on-demand scanner run before you start internet banking.

With the exception of when I used Webroot Secure Anywhere, the current config is the lightest impact upon my laptop than any other single AV, suite or combo that I have used. No stability issues, and with BD coming out in the top 1-3 AV products in independent tests on a consistent basis I figure I am well protected, but I am not complacent, that's why I used Malwarebytes Pro but on demand. I had no issues with the current or previous versions of MWB other than BOTH of them affecting MSE scheduling, really weird why that occurs, but last year I did read that I was not the only person, but it is quite rare so it must be a specific condition or setup causing it to happen. It may be a problem with my task scheduler though since it does come up with an error when I open it, so perhaps my reg cleaner got too aggressive at some point and I did not notice it in sufficient time to be able to rollback to the backup of the registry.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.