Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Everyone:

I found the following statement on Kaspersky's official blog:

Another reason why the leftovers remain in the system is the usage of tweakers like CCleaner. Of course, sometimes you can make your system load a couple seconds faster by using them, but it often happens that tweakers delete links between our registry keys, so our removal algorithm cannot use them properly. As a result, application removal completes with errors and a new installation cannot be performed because of it.

No matter how tempting it is to “optimize” Windows using third-party applications, please be aware you might end up reinstalling the system after a critical failure. This will be a consequence of making unauthorized changes to the system, so whenever you decide to test such a utility, enjoy it responsibly.

In light of this is it a wise decision to use CCleaner?

Hope you all have an amazing Christmas & Happy New Year 2015!

Tony.

Reactions: tonibalas and Ali80

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Well, i tested various cleaners in combination with Kaspersky. Registry cleaners should not be used at all, especially with Kaspersky, as Kaspersky self-protection will defend it's registry keys and some important system registry keys. As for temp files cleaners...some of them are really aggresive, but with CCleaner you will not have any problem (just avoid it's registry cleaner). Of course advanced users can use registry cleaner module...but they really need to know what they are doing. I use it without any problem, but for novice users it's not recommended at all.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
They probably meant on using CCleaner's registry cleaner. Just as above said, I don't think Kaspersky actually allows any other program to remove the registry keys created by Kaspersky, except if it deletes them after a boot sequence when Kaspersky isn't loaded yet.
If you in any case encounter this problem, and Kaspersky won't uninstall successfully, there's always a Kaspersky Uninstall Tool prepared for those situations.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Normally registry cleaners are literally dangerous so its just a right thing to warn for consumers, remember it not really easy to detect those kind of invalid/leftovers done on uninstallation in such simple algorithm.

For CCleaner they maintain the not so aggressive type which been proven but yet still implemented backup feature in case of problem arises.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
The problem that can arise after cleaning the registry is not entirely or only on the side of cleaning software, there are ton of reasons for it. In this particular case one can blame install routine of Kaspersky, other cleaning one on CCleaner side, third can blame the system state (degraded by use - habits) or even conflicts between the two mentioned programs etc. Problem is rarely one sided in real life :).

Reactions: BoraMurdar

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
CCleaner will always ask you to do a backup and save it to your PC.If a problem arises it very easy to restore to the previous state from the backup.I have only had to use this one time in all my years of using CCleaner and I have used it alongside Kaspersky for many of those years.Best advice is to always use caution when using any registry cleaner.

The link to where this is posted is in response to apparent problems experienced on installation and uninstallation. This does not mean that this is the case for everyone and also does not take into account problems with Kaspersky installation & uninstallation from Kaspersky's end either.I have always used a third party uninstaller on Kaspersky.As for CCleaners registry cleaner it is easy enough to see what entries are found before you remove them and anything kaspersky can be unticked manually before backing up and cleaning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.