Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Well I just tried updating CC cleaner to the latest version and I receive this from Eset:

hg-hacniwzcrimxxgkirymb.jpg

This was from "file hippo",but the same alert is received when I try the "piriform server"!
Never had issues like this before when updating the program,and never had a similar alert from Eset in the past!

I tried updating from here:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/update?v=4.09.4471&l=1033&o=6.3W6

which leads to:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?upgrade

Please advise.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Yes it's quite strange,the alert happens when I actually finish the download and Eset then gives this alert.
The page is safe but it seems there's a bundled toolbar in there somewhere.

Unless of course it's a false positive,but I give Eset the benefit of the doubt!
Like I said Eset never alerte me in the past!

Thanks

Reactions: PVA_BR

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Reactions: Prorootect

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
I've downloaded the installer for 4.10 earlier today from Piriform servers, scanned the installer with webroot and NIS 21 (Norton File Insight too). No problems here.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I've downloaded the upgrade for 4.10 earlier today from Piriform servers, scanned the installer with webroot and NIS 21 (Norton File Insight too). No problems here.

Thanks!

Well maybe a false positive then?

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks Prorootect,I dont get an alert from Eset from that link that you gave me.

Still curious why Eset would warn of a potential threat in the softwarefrom the other downlod links:confused:?

- I confirm .. my IE close the page, if I click on the download link from your post.
(It says that it's to defend me ..)

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
- I confirm .. my IE close the page, if I click on the download link from your post.

Well that's a bit bothersome,as I was thinking it was a false positive:confused:

The links from my post are from when I try updating from the cc cleaner gui,and it takes me to those links!

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Here we go! VirusTotal report of the ccleaner installer downloaded from the 1st link. Eset is the only AV maker that detect it as malware.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm going to send this files/urls to symantec for further analysis ;)

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Here we go! VirusTotal report of the ccleaner installer downloaded from the 1st link. Eset is the only AV maker that detect it as malware.
Thanks I was about to do that!

Can we therefore deduce that it is indeed a false alert?

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I had the same issue downloading Driveridentifier file was clean but Eset kept alerting, Virustotal was the same Eset was the only one to detect anything, so false alert :) better safe then sorry though!

Reactions: Venustus and PVA_BR

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
As I'm always paranoid about new downloads, I wouldn't deduce nothing yet:p. Jokes aside, as there isn't even a sign of new toolbars here, It must be a False Positive. Please report it to Eset ;)

Last edited:
Y

yigido

EDIT: Anyway, I'm going to send this files/urls to symantec for further analysis ;)
ESET said the truth :) CCleaner wants to install Google sucks.. GO ESET GO :D

Reactions: BoraMurdar
I

illumination

Maybe, but Eset has never let me down in the past.

I ran Eset for a couple months, was really quiet actually, only pop up i received was from a website placing a cookie, it deemed dangerous and blocked, it was Noscripts website, after installing noscript, the site opens another tab to introduce you, and it places the cookie, only security i have ever ran that detected it, def was a false positive.. So i would say it happens ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.