Guide | How To ChangeIcon MFC Application has stopped working error message

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
There is a reason behind me having automatic windows updates disabled. I check them manually and add it one by one. Sure it is time consuming but a plus side is when you know something aint right, you can easily track back.

Today I did the remaining 20 updates on my Windows 8.1 machine (I do a few a day depending on my mood and time) and noticed that after applying a specific update, I got an error message (for starters I had to remove Homegroup icon from the desktop by: Right click on Desktop-->Personalisation-->Change Desktop icons-->Tick Network-->Click Apply-->Click Network again-->Click Apply); I kept getting a dialog box with an error:

ChangeIcon MFC Application has stopped working

I knew for a fact it was due to an update, so I tracked back easily (within 1 minute):
Procedure:
1. Access Control Panel (I use Small Icons view)
2. Click on Windows Update
3. Click on Installed Windows Updates
4. Look for Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2984006) and double click to uninstall it.
5. Reboot when prompted and issue is fixed.

A little about the Update:
Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2984006)

Download size: 47.5 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2984006

Fixes that this update provides (to note I have not experienced any of the described issues) according to kb above:
For Home users:
2990963 Touchpad disabled on the logon screen
2990833 Downloading stops at 99 percent in Xbox Video
2990442 Promotional items display incorrectly in Windows Store
2989974 September 2014 OneDrive reliability update
2989713 Window jumps two times when you tap on the scroll bar arrow one time on the touchpad
2989711 Precision touchpad setting is not consistent among users
2989677 It takes a long time to open an attachment in Microsoft Outlook
2989343 Improvement for Bing Smart Search
2977285 Custom page size is ignored when a printer use a V4 printer PostScript driver
2989289 Wi-Fi connection is not established or Wi-Fi direct proximity test fails
2989709 0x3B Stop error occurs randomly when you log on a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
2995004 The taskbar works incorrectly or is duplicated in Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1

If you need the update and it hasn't given you any error message, then install it. If not, then your choice: either have the error message or don't have the update.

Hope this helps anyone who might come across this issue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.