Chapel Hill's Configuration

C

Chapel Hill

Thread author
My primary concerns are data theft and financial exploits.

I'm a new poster on the forum, which I have read extensively over the past month. This forum has been very helpful, and I thank you all for that. Comments and recommendations on my configuration welcome.

Can anyone recommend a simple-to-set-up-and-maintain home UTM?

Or, alternatively, can anyone recommend a consumer analog to Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect service, which is a VPN service backed by a Layer 7 NGFW? Instead of a UTM, if there is a cloud based VPN/NGFW service that seemingly would serve the same function.

I have a couple other computer configurations that i will also post.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for such a clearly laid out and impressive configuration, Chapel Hill.
Truth be told, I know very little of UTM. So, I did a search and found a site for Sophos, a name I've heard mentioned by staff, and knowlegeable members whom could well be worthy of sitting at table high upon Mount Olympus!:D
All kidding aside, it is a name that has stayed with me.

Disabling the drivers for vulnerable programs as well as autorun is very intuitive.:)

I like your configuration for lots of reasons, among them is that it helps me (thanks to you) feel a bit smarter!!;):D

Edit: Can you tell us your impressions of Invincea Free Space?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and scot
C

Chapel Hill

Thread author

Edit: Can you tell us your impressions of Invincea Free Space?
----------------

I am a big fan of FreeSpace. In about 1 year of surfing, it has caught about 10 exploits...when it senses something amiss, it alerts for me to do a "Restore". I also use Sandboxie on another laptop, but I like the less-configurable FreeSpace more....it takes less time to learn and is more automated.

C

Chapel Hill

Thread author
Updated configuration. Major Changes:

* Now using Sophos Home UTM as a firewall instead of Asus RT-AC87U. Turned the RT-AC87U into an access point. The Sophos Home UTM is simply spectacular!
* Added OpenDNS Umbrella Prosumer Roaming Client
* Added Chrome with uBlock and HTTPS Everywhere
* Added Crowd Strike Crowd Inspect

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015

* Now using Sophos Home UTM as a firewall instead of Asus RT-AC87U. Turned the RT-AC87U into an access point. The Sophos Home UTM is simply spectacular!
Good update, thx for sharing ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

I like all of this, and shall catch up through reading (specifically more about your new firewall settings which will most likely result in my being impressed in a more knowingly way!:p

Reactions: JM Safe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.