Charlie Manson's Configuration

CharlieManson

Thread author
Apr 15, 2015
I know its not very great, I'm not very good with this sort of thing, and this is my first laptop.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello, very good config but
  • Are you using any program to backup your data? If not i recommend using any external drive or cloud.
  • Change AdBlock to uBlock. Is better
  • Install Web of Trust(WOT) to your browser
  • Install LastPass
  • If you using Avast you don't must have MBAM Premium. Switch it to Free version
Thanks for sharing config. For first time this is very good.
Sayonara :)

T

TheSuperGeek

Hello,
Hello, very good config but
  • Are you using any program to backup your data? If not i recommend using any external drive or cloud.
  • Change AdBlock to uBlock. Is better
  • Install Web of Trust(WOT) to your browser
  • Install LastPass
  • If you using Avast you don't must have MBAM Premium. Switch it to Free version
I think your config is good but i agree with @FireShootSK for AdBlock, Data backup and Lastpass but I disagree with he because I think Wot isn't very secure : the users can add "false positive website" (like phishing site as good and good free softs as junk). I recommand TrafficLight (bitdefender) or Netcraft toolbar.
Goodbye

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello,

I think your config is good but i agree with @FireShootSK for AdBlock, Data backup and Lastpass but I disagree with he because I think Wot isn't very secure : the users can add "false positive website" (like phishing site as good and good free softs as junk). I recommand TrafficLight (bitdefender) or Netcraft toolbar.
Goodbye
Yes, WOT have FP because is based on users etc. but it's still good protect. TrafficLight is good too. :)

Reactions: CharlieManson

CharlieManson

Thread author
Apr 15, 2015
I've downloaded the suggested extension, and am currently looking for a decent online backup, but is there any harm in keeping Malwarebytes pro with avast?

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
Do you know how to use RogueKiller? If you don't, I recommend that you remove it as it is a manual malware removal tool and has the potential to break your machine if used incorrectly (RK is not at all like AdwCleaner, so don't get me wrong).

Nothing is wrong with using MBAM Premium alongside Avast free - I know plenty of people using that combo with no problems. (heck, I use EIS with MBAM Premium myself).

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
MBAM work good with another AV but if somebody using AV with RT is MBAM Premium unnecessary.
Not really - MBAM's real time protection stops the stuff that it detects from being dropped onto the machine in the first place, saving you the trouble of removing them.

PUPs nowadays are really stubborn once they got a foothold on your system (some even use rootkit tech). It's better to stop them before then, don't you think?

CharlieManson

Thread author
Apr 15, 2015
Do you know how to use RogueKiller? If you don't, I recommend that you remove it as it is a manual malware removal tool and has the potential to break your machine if used incorrectly (RK is not at all like AdwCleaner, so don't get me wrong).

Nothing is wrong with using MBAM Premium alongside Avast free - I know plenty of people using that combo with no problems. (heck, I use EIS with MBAM Premium myself).

I was on a different site, and someone suggested I download it. I've used it twice (probably incorrectly), I just let it scan then delete whatever shows up.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For online data sync and backup.

A Microsoft Account is required, but you can use OneDrive to keep files and documents in sync online, or keep them offline only. By default 15GB is offered for free, but if you install the OneDrive App on any mobile device (Android, iOS or Windows Phone) you can enable more free online storage - if you enable Camera Roll backup. For example, I currently have 30GB of OneDrive storage for no cost.

If you plan to use OneDrive or use a Microsoft Account, I strongly advise to enable Two Factor Authentication for your MS Account.

Other types of backup:
- Offline system imaging
- Offline data backup

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
I was on a different site, and someone suggested I download it. I've used it twice (probably incorrectly), I just let it scan then delete whatever shows up.
Then you should remove it.

Also, if you use CCleaner then do NOT touch the registry cleaner function!

For backups, you can use imaging software (Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image), cloud backup (i.e. CrashPlan). There are other types of backups, but I am not familiar with those.

If you use external media for backups, remember to disconnect them after the backup is done - to minimize the chance that a crypto ransomware shows up and encrypts your backup as well as your main drive.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Looks good!! I think the previous suggestions about covered everything thanks for sharing your config :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well Sandboxie is not a privacy software, its a virtualization program that you can isolate changes when dealing on browsing or testing program. :)

Just keep it up and when done just clear all the Sandbox data, just remember data stealing cannot be irreversible.

CharlieManson

Thread author
Apr 15, 2015
Ok, so I was reading around the forum, and saw people suggesting hitman pro, so i decided to try it. I scanned my PC and got this.
j8fwIHq.png
I deleted them, so should i be ok?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@CharlieManson: Download the tool as mentioned then attempt to remove SuperFish Adware, and try to scan with Hitman Pro/MBAM for remnants or leftovers. Its not an FP cause it violates the privacy concern.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.