Cheap gaming laptops with Intel i5/i7, 8GB RAM, FHD 15/17-inch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can anybody here suggest some cheap(er) laptops that have:
  1. At least 1920 x 1080 screen resolution (FHD) - Anything less, and I'm not interested
  2. At least 8GB DDR3 RAM in dual channel
  3. At least 3rd or 4th-gen Intel i5 or i7 CPU
  4. GPU for light gaming and A/V-editing - I'm not sure what's good or not
  5. As cheap as possible, lowest costs.
Should I provide any more information? (Budget: See #5)

Also would there be any issues, if I bought a laptop without an OS?

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Lets start with Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series laptop.
Starts @ $900-$1100

Specification
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)
  • Windows 8, 64-bit, English
  • 15.6 inch LED Backlit Touch Display with Truelife and FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)
  • 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
  • 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
  • Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (Optional NVIDIA® GeForce® GT750M 2GB GDDR5)
  • 1 Year Basic Hardware Service with 1 Year NBD Onsite Service after Remote Diagnosis
  • 5.7 lbs
Link- http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-15-7537/pd

If you get that option to buy a laptop without MS OS, go for it. You'd always be smiling at your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: McLovin

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Myna Will the graphics in the Dell, suffice for gaming and video-encoding?

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
If you're not a hardcore gamer than Intel HD Graphics will be just fine. So as for light/normal video editing. But if you want to get your job done a little bit faster than you can always opt for the optional GPU. Remember, you have the option to upgrade the GPU.
And as far as a laptop is concerned, 2GB DDR5 is more than awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
MSI_LAPTOP_GAMING.jpg

Reactions: Koroke San
I

illumination

@Myna Will the graphics in the Dell, suffice for gaming and video-encoding?
Intel HD 4000 is ok, but there are newer versions out now, HD4400 and HD 4600... This is FYI if you plan to stick with built in with the intel processor.. I have the intel i5 3230m with intel HD4000 and had a steam account with the game "arctic combat", i could crank the settings on the game to max, but only after i adjusted the power settings and graphic settings to high performance from the default "balanced" setting..

If it has OS, which do you prefer? Windows 7 or windows 8?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Would I need a dedicated graphics chip for live transcoding and outputting videos files with video-editing tools?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've looked at ASUS, Lenovo, MSI, Sony, HP, Gigabtye and sites like Scan and Overclockers, but I'm back to the drawing board.

It's very challenging to finding a laptop.

Currently not looking to build a custom desktop PC, as it won't fit my requirements.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was reading that an Intel Core i5 with a good graphic cards (Nvidia GTX...) can be good enough for normal gaming, but also read it's better to get an Intel Core i7 quad-core chip for video encoding and similar tasks. Is that correct and anything else you can add?

Thanks. :)

I

illumination

I was reading that an Intel Core i5 with a good graphic cards (Nvidia GTX...) can be good enough for normal gaming, but also read it's better to get an Intel Core i7 quad-core chip for video encoding and similar tasks. Is that correct and anything else you can add?

Thanks. :)
I can not answer for the video encoding on i7 as i do not do this, but can tell you the i5 i have now has handled ever game i have thrown at it, and then some. I have yet to bog this thing down in the year i have owned it.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi before You opt one i recommend to check the graphics card ranking in this site.
Fill your graphic card detail ,
example: Radeon HD 7640+7670 Dual, which is mine and check out yourself whether the graphics card has good score

Reactions: Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.