Check this before buying windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
If you want to buy windows 8 or trying to download windows 8 enterprise trial check this before buying/downloading.

Like windows 8 RC, pro and enterprise version cannot be installed on old hardware even if you are using windows 7 on that machine

Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX processor bit (NX), and Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) refer to features of the processor. PAE enables 32-bit processors to access more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows and is a prerequisite for NX. NX allows the processor to help guard the PC from attacks by malicious software. SSE2 (a standard on processors for a long time) is an instruction set that is increasingly used by third-party apps and drivers. For Windows 8, for your malware defense features to work reliably we require that your processor support NX. To enhance the reliability of third-party apps and drivers running in Windows 8, SSE2 is also required. If your PC doesn't support PAE, NX, and SSE2 you won’t be able to install Windows 8. Upgrade Assistant will provide you with an error message if your processor doesn't support PAE and SSE2. You'll also see a notice if the processor might not support NX or if NX is turned off in the PC BIOS. Windows 8 Setup will attempt to turn on NX during installation and, if it isn't able to, will return your PC to the current operating system.

You can check if your processor supports NX and can turn it on if it is turned off by going into your PC's BIOS. Accessing the BIOS can vary depending on your PC manufacturer. Usually, you must press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, or Esc) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your PC before Windows starts. For more information, check the information that came with your PC or go to the PC manufacturer's website. Once you are in the BIOS, look for the NX or XD settings under the Security tab to turn on the NX support. If the BIOS setting for the NX support option is not available on your PC, you might need to contact the PC manufacturer for info on updating the BIOS. If you need help accessing the BIOS on your PC or turning on NX,

How to check if your hardware that is processor is compaitable for windows 8

Go to:
Computer-->Properties-->Advance System Setting-->Performance setting-->Data Execution Prevention.

Here you find message "Your computer processor does/or does not support hardware-based DEP.

If it does support you can install windows 8 and if it does not you cannot install windows 8 on that machine

For more details see screenshots:

You can install 8 if you find this:

2i763ab.jpg

You cannot install windows 8 if you find this alert:

317b0ht.jpg

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well it's official I can install Windows 8. :)
85fad15e99af463497dc45e.png

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
That is good Mclovin ;)

Any one have trick to bypass it pleaseshare as few of my friends need it .

Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 8 runs better on modern hardware and not stuff from the XP-era.

Why would you be running Windows 8 Enterprise anyway?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:

Only reason I would be running it would be for TAFE.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:

I use Windows 8 Enterprise for 3 features, Hyper-V, Windows To Go and Windows Media Player.

After trying out Hyper-V, I have started to prefer it over VMWare. I will use VLC Player for any codecs Windows Media Player can't handle. Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hyper-V would be a seller for me too, unfortunately I've never had the correct hardware to use it.

WMP is available, except for Windows RT. WMP has worked for me with any codec problems, if not, then I use Chrome to play certain media files (ie. mkv).

WMC is available for Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise, but you can get the WMC Pack for Free on a limited time offer.

Microsoft Surface w/ Windows 8 Pro would be my idea of Windows To Go, don't like the idea of using a foreign PC.
Coming Soon : http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/home

Thanks for the info, MrThanks. lol

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Earth said:

I want to run windows 8 Enterprise Edition because:
1... The only legal iso for windows 8 final i found on web is windows 8 enterprise edition
2... It will allow me 90 days of trial in which i can decide whether to use it in future or stick with 7.
3...Enterprise edition have all + few extra features from pro version.

P.S. My computer is able to install windows 8 but few of my friends with old config but running 7 smoothly not able to install windows 8 on their computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.