Checking the likes on members replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I'm sure this will get some replies. It's very hard to earn a reputation point. I guess you really have to do some thing spectacular to get one. They are given by staff. Likes however are given by other members. It's nice to know someone read your reply or thread and I really appreciate everyone I get. So many likes and you get a trophy. I think after each 250 likes you get a trophy, but few members realize when another member gets a trophy. Likes are nice and appreciated, but what do they really mean. I guess when you get around 10,000 you get in the top ten or some thing. I try to give likes back to members that give me likes. I see a lot of likes given that I don't really see are deserving, but it seems to be a trend that a lot of members participate in. We have 12 staff with titles. We have a few members with special titles, but most of us that post every day and try to help members have the same old title. I have been on more help forums than I want to count. I have held tech titles,expert,super and a few others. It felt good to get a new title once in awhile.
Those are my thoughts. Thanks for any likes you check on this thread. I think I'll get another trophy after another 100 likes.;):):rolleyes:
PS Of all the forums I have joined; MT is my favorite. I really don't need a title. Just friends,:) and I have many here on MT;)

Hi! Was waiting for approval of this thread. Didn't want to reply if thread didn't meet approval standards
I forgot about the points you get. They seem to go with how many likes you get. Every 250 likes you receive, you get a trophy and more points.
I'm not complaining. I'm just saying I see members here on MT that deserve more than just a Well-Know Member for all they do here on MT.;):rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
I would also enjoy having new titles."Well known member" isn't bad but it gets old over time :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Likes are meant to be used, as name suggests, if you like some post on MT. Also, to avoid useless replies like "Thanks", "You're the man", " Awesome giveaway" etc.
Someone may think that something can get through, good or bad, unnoticed on MT is terribly wrong. (Of course, we are humans also, not robots...)
All posts/threads are meticulously watched and if something really good is shared to the community it will not be unnoticed. And it will be rewarded. Just because likes were abused, reputation points are introduced. That way Staff, and regular members, can discern who is who on the forums.
I'm just saying I see members here on MT that deserve more than just a Well-Know Member for all they do here on MT
With implementing Trusted Members Group, and adding a reputation points we are trying to create an environment that is much better than the time when there were no such group or no such reputation.
Are we there yet? No. But we are heading in that direction ;)

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hey @Paul Lee ! Thanks for your reply! I see you have 3 Reps. That's pretty good. Do you know how you got them.
What title would you like to have. I see your avatar is ESET. Is there a reason for that?? I use ESET on line scanner all the time here in my village.
I would also enjoy having new titles."Well known member" isn't bad but it gets old over time :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Likes should be used for helpful, interesting, useful... comments, including a method to replace the "Thanks" spam. However, this system is easily abused, hence the introduction of Reputation points.

Reputation Points hold more value than Likes, and are only given by Staff (Admins and Super Mods). Asking for Likes / Reputation is a no-go.

From time to time Likes are removed, if a member or group-of are found to be Like-boosting, Like-spamming, cheating.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Hey @Paul Lee ! Thanks for your reply! I see you have 3 Reps. That's pretty good. Do you know how you got them.
What title would you like to have. I see your avatar is ESET. Is there a reason for that?? I use ESET on line scanner all the time here in my village.
Here are some examples of what I did in order to get reputation. http://malwaretips.com/threads/rollback-rx-pro-for-free.39789/#post-323932 & http://malwaretips.com/threads/need...software-for-online-gamers.40816/#post-334737

It's mostly from helping people and clarifying a few things that people don't understand. I use the ESET avatar because my 2 favorite antivirus products are Emsisoft and ESET. Since there are quite a few new members who have taken the Emsisoft avatar, I thought I'd change it up a little & go for the ESET one :p.

P.S I'd possibly like to have the "Trusted member" title in the near future.(hopefully)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
As it has been said "Likes" are to thank a member for providing a thread,post and or reply that you personally found useful and or agree with.However we have some who "like" a post and then post a reply "Thanks" which then in turn gets a "like".
It is not hard to see why a reputation system was implemented where the reputation is given by staff members only.Choosing of "Trusted Members" is thoroughly discussed and voted upon by all staff members.These are members that have time an time again have shared their knowledge and helped other members.They are those members who we feel provide an example of what an exemplary member of this site should be.
I am sure we could come up with some more titles as you move up the ladder but if it is based upon likes and or posts that would not be fair to some.Maybe we could discuss adding another title based upon reputation which would be fair.
Bottom line is likes,trophies,post count do not matter.What matters is getting the attention of the staff by being a good member,helping your fellow members and following the rules and guidelines of the site.
Trust me when I say we as staff are well aware of who is who on the site and it does not go unnoticed!!!!!

Here is the trophy list for those who were wondering http://malwaretips.com/help/trophies

The trophy system is built in to the Xenforo platform

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
P.S I'd possibly like to have the "Trusted member" title in the near future.(hopefully)
I have had that title on other forums. It's a great title. I hope to see it on your avatar soon!!
I didn't start this thread to cause trouble or division in our forum. I just sensed that a lot of our members felt the way I do. As I said of all the forums I have ever joined, MT is now my favorite.
The friendliest people on the web log on here and I'm grateful to be a small part of a great and growing forum;)
PS there I edited my reply instead of creating a new one:):):):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Lee

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
This needs to stay and not be edited into the above reply. There are many members here on MT that have been a member on other forums.
I have been on more than probably anyone here on MT. I hope that I'm bringing only the good things that I have learned from other forums to MT.
I hope I'm not casting stones and causing ripples here on MT. I don't mean to be judging anyone here and especially not judging the staff.
Some times my replies don't turn out exactly the way I intended and for that I apologize.
I know I'm quite windy and I get away with a lot more on MT, than any of the other help forums would allow.
Great forum and great staff.
Thanks!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very simple comparison.

For anyone who reach this as likes > post then its a very good thing cause quality over quantity.

However it needs patience to obtain reputation points > likes > post.

Don't mind if your messages are very few as long you provide quality post then surely likes or reputation will come.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I just realized that I like the likes and the PM's from my friends here on MT a lot more, and they are more precious than any reputation points.
Almost to 1200 likes!!;);) The profile replies are also great and make my day!!
I'm just way to friendly and way to windy!!

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
The knowledge is more important then any title on this forum. Sharing and telling us the way you see an issue (or anything related to security) it has more value then a "rank".

For me ranks are useless (on forums), I see the value in content not in a title or some virtual points.

Reactions: donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I agree @OpenSecLabs ,but praises and likes are also nice to get. I don't have a lot to offer about security. I know what works for me and I won't be changing mine any time soon. It's interesting to watch the Virus exchange section and they are doing a good job. It's just not some thing I want to do at this time. I try to help in the computer related problems section as that's where my knowledge is and my hobby. There will never be a AV that is 100% but that shouldn't stop us from trying to stop as many of the scum bags as we can!! Use common sense and add as many security layers as you think you need. I have never been seriously infected. A few PUP's but MBAM takes care of those.
Here's a good read about MBAM and PUP's. PUP's are getting to be serious problems for PC users
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2014/07/pups-are-persistent/

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
That is a good share and it has value, see anyone can help in one way or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.