Guide | How To Choosing Antivirus Product Wisely (Part-I)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

TechBug

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 28, 2013
Hi Folks

Hope all of you are doing well. Today I want to share something about security products and it's genre.

As an end user we are often in dilemma which product we should use ? Will it be able to provide me a secure bio ? Too many questions, right ?

From the very initial days of AV products it's mainly Signature based and it did protected us from most of the known threats. But now a days the malware developers are much concerned about disguise and it's quite impossible to trace if it's nature is not malicious at all in a first look. Yes, I'm talking about 'Zero Day' threats. So, only signature or reputation based AV software is not really enough to protect you.

Here comes the role of Behavioral or Heuristic protection module. It protects you from the unknown malwares and exploits. You are safe, right ?

Not yet as it's the peak-time of Hybrid Malwares. These are the complete package of Trojan, Worm, Root kits and they are able to disguise as a valid program without any traces.

The cyber world looks really frightening, isn't it ? But we can be in a safe zone by employing some very useful tricks. I am not here to debate on which product is Best or The Savior, rather I will put some light on their nature, efficiency and compatibility with other softwares.

There will be much more in the Second Part of this chain article ! So, stay tuned. :)

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi TechBug

A great little read! Easy to understand and gives the details/information you need. Cannot wait for part 2.

May I ask what antivirus you are using? I'm currently using avast! premier 2015 I hope that it's a good one!

Tony :)

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hi TechBug

A great little read! Easy to understand and gives the details/information you need. Cannot wait for part 2.

May I ask what antivirus you are using? I'm currently using avast! premier 2015 I hope that it's a good one!

I am not here to debate on which product is Best or The Savior, rather I will put some light on their nature, efficiency and compatibility with other softwares.

TechBug

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 28, 2013
Hi TechBug

@Tony Cole , thanks for the feedback. To be frank all of the AV suits are good in detecting common widespread malwares. For better Zero Day protection you need to be a sensible surfer. Well, I'd suggest you to use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit along with your installed AV for superior protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.