Not open for further replies.

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hi ,

I have google chrome 64 bit installed on my windows 8.1. Most of the time it's not opening and running in background. Firefox is working properly though. Anybody else having similar problem?

It's opening after very long time.

Thanks and regards,
Anupam

Reactions: Kent

MalwareFire

Level 3
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
See in configurations. You active the box.
Defenitions>Show Advanced Defenitions>Sistem>Continue in background

I hope you understand and i help you.

Reactions: Anupam

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In the Settings > Show Advanced Settings. Scroll down to System and Enable 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed". - chrome.exe processes will continue to run in the background, even when you exit the browser.

Check that Google Chrome is you default browser, in the Settings it should display "The default browser is currently Google Chrome."

For the time I used Chrome 64-bit, it was buggy and didn't always run as expected. I reverted back to Chrome 32-bit and you can also easily switch back, without uninstalling. Simply visit the Chrome website and run the default (32-bit installer).

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
In the Settings > Show Advanced Settings. Scroll down to System and Enable 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed". - chrome.exe processes will continue to run in the background, even when you exit the browser.

Check that Google Chrome is you default browser, in the Settings it should display "The default browser is currently Google Chrome."

For the time I used Chrome 64-bit, it was buggy and didn't always run as expected. I reverted back to Chrome 32-bit and you can also easily switch back, without uninstalling. Simply visit the Chrome website and run the default (32-bit installer).

That's strange. Why should I run a process in background when I don't need it o_O. I never had same problem in windows 7.
Seems like both Windows 8.1 and Chrome 64 bit is buggy. Chrome opening as per it's own command. :eek: Sometimes after 3 minutes, sometimes after 10 minutes :confused::confused::confused:

Happy with Mozilla.:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you experience the same occurrence with Chrome 32-bit?

Some apps for Chrome work offline or can be run from Chrome without needing to install the locally to your PC, that is why you can choose to have the chrome.exe process running the background, to allow these apps or pages to function.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1184722?hl=en-GB
The background page is invisible to you, but it’s constantly working in the background, for example checking your mail so it can let you know when you have new messages.

Reactions: Exterminator

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This a bit problem where the chrome.exe is very busy on the resources and cannot terminate properly so once open again the browser, it cannot execute normally.

Factors might be numbers of extensions uses or try to reinstall the browser again.

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Do you experience the same occurrence with Chrome 32-bit?

Some apps for Chrome work offline or can be run from Chrome without needing to install the locally to your PC, that is why you can choose to have the chrome.exe process running the background, to allow these apps or pages to function.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1184722?hl=en-GB

I don't have 32 bit installed. Got irritated with Chrome. Moved to Mozilla now though haven't uninstalled Chrome yet ;)

This a bit problem where the chrome.exe is very busy on the resources and cannot terminate properly so once open again the browser, it cannot execute normally.

Factors might be numbers of extensions uses or try to reinstall the browser again.

I don't use any extension in Browser :) except for the default ones ( Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.