Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Article: click here

Specific quote for discussion:
It’s Schizophrenic

One of the things that really bugs me about Windows 10 is the duplication. There’s Settingsand Control Panel, both offering two ways to do similar, or identical things, but wrapped up in entirely different interfaces. How do you know which you need? Good question. Want to change your screen resolution? Windows will push you to use the new UI, but the old Change the appearance of your displays version still exists.

Microsoft should have chosen one method for changing settings and customizing the OS and stuck with it, wiping out all traces of the other.

One annoyance I’ve encountered is that certain legacy buttons don’t work. Clicking on Set Associations in Internet Explorer doesn’t let you set the file types that the browser opens by default -- as you might reasonably expect -- but instead displays a message stating "To change your default apps, go to Settings > System > Default apps". Clicking OK doesn’t take you there, just closes the message. Thanks for your help Microsoft, let me go grab a pen.

And having two browsers is stupid too. Just include one browser that works. Edge will be quite good when it’s finished, I suspect. But it is clearly more of a proof of concept than a fully formed browser at the moment, lacking support for extensions and so on.

Want to uninstall a program? Well, if it’s an app, you can do it through Settings > Apps & Features. If it’s a legacy app (program, dammit!), then you may be able to uninstall it that way, but I’ve found many applications don’t show up there. Go to the old Programs and Features interface, and every program you can uninstall is listed there. Except apps. They don’t appear in that list at all.

There are small, but fundamental design inconsistencies throughout, including (but not limited to) old icons cropping up next to new ones and at least four entirely different styles of context menu.

These aren’t problems unique to Windows 10 of course. Windows 8.x had the same issues. Microsoft just hasn’t bothered to fix them. But with Windows as a service, maybe it will get around to it. One day.

It’s Buggy

Since the upgrade I have a problem on my PC with graphics going missing in browsers, and Firefox seems to hate Windows 10. It just crashes without warning. My graphics drivers are fully up to date, as are my browsers. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall everything, or do a clean Windows 10 install.

But clearly I’m not the only person experiencing issues with the new OS. We’ve posted loads of guides and stories on BetaNews covering how to do things with Windows 10, but what do you think the most popular article on the site currently is? Overcoming sound problems. It’s such an in-demand article, we’ve covered the issue twice.

A brand new OS is always going to be buggy -- there are so many different types of hardware, so many configurations, that it’s to be expected -- but I feel Microsoft should have taken a little longer to iron out potential issues before declaring Windows 10 done.
[/quote]

So I will kick off with this discussion with:

Buggy - No it is not. But as any OS, just like in Linux distros, its best to do a clean install than just rely on Upgrade. Sure there are using with problems in Windows 10 after upgrading, but I am yet to find one and I have manually upgraded and then redid a clean install on over 20 laptops for friends who asked for assistance. What I noticed was some manufactors drivers needed to be updated that was it.

"I feel Microsoft should have taken a little longer to iron out potential issues before declaring Windows 10 done" = this user clearly never dived deep into Linux, that is all that I am saying.

As for the first section of the paragraph, its just depending on the user opinion, not really usability issues. Users should adapt, like any person would in real life. That is how it is since the Internet was born. And no, having both IE and Edge is a good approach. Gives the users who do not know much about computers a choice between 2 browsers and not just the stock IE like it has been since the ages of windows 95.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Yes that is a maybe, But Windows should not expect 100% of users to be an expert either should they. I mean they did roll it out for everyone so it should be a finished product.

True but i am still on a dirty upgrade installation and it hasn't caused me any serious issues.
Also have an image backup of a clean installation as well. Some of those claims of issues might be from dirty upgrades, who knows.
Everything works fine here..

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
For an OS many call buggy, I find it odd that on my two Win 10 systems that on the first Tuesday after the launch no Windows updates? My 2 systems are running fine, had a little problem with download speeds on one of them but it was temporary, probably my ISP. Of all the OS upgrades over the years starting from going from 3.1 to Win 95 and the rest up til now Windows 10 to me is much smoother right out of the box, I just hope it continues.;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its an article testimony and my views are quite different.

1) Settings and Control Panel may have same settings but totally its different.

Settings = are quick, straightforward configuration which are common to check and execute operation easily.

Meanwhile Control Panel as always, provides numerous options which are complex and advance by majority so likely better fit on that case.

You don't want a program to become messy that's why its organize as much as possible

In terms of browser duplication, IE is for some users who want to use for legacy purpose.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/internet-explorer-vs-edge-browser

Maybe its a temporary purpose and will see for the future updates that IE may probably remove, who knows?

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I feel windows 10 is very stable and not buggy like some people claim. For me it's been smooth and honestly quite and surprisingly fast on my laptop. I have installed it in two PC's and I've seen no trouble at all. People like to blame everything on Microsoft and I think every scenario is different due to our different use of software, OS and hardware. What if the bugs or trouble you/we-- are having are caused by your own configuration? Let's be realistic!

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I feel windows 10 is very stable and not buggy like some people claim. For me it's been smooth and honestly quite and surprisingly fast on my laptop. I have installed it in two PC's and I've seen no trouble at all. People like to blame everything on Microsoft and I think every scenario is different due to our different use of software, OS and hardware. What if the bugs or trouble you/we-- are having are caused by your own configuration? Let's be realistic!

It might be stable enough to be used for daily use — but there's still some small bugs that need to be fixed.

meant to vote 'Some, because...' but can't change vote.

Last edited:

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
It might be stable enough to be used for daily use — but there's still some small bugs that need to be fixed.

meant to vote 'Some, because...' cant change vote.
I agree with you I didn't say anything about no bugs at all but sometimes people exaggerate. Yes there's bugs I found one myself but buggy meaning impossible to deal with it.... That's my point and that's how people tend to show.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
The only real problem i have with win10 is that its too intrusive. It actually checks allot of things you install and if its deemed unwanted by MS now or in the future, they can actually block it and wont run. There might be a way around this but i haven't checked...

Reactions: nissimezra

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I agree with Razor & James,
Please keep in mind that Windows 10 was and is a new step forward for MS concerning the direction they took the OS in, I admire that.
The info collecting can be rained in and put under control quite easily as you explore the OS and get a feel for it.
I am one of those that avoided 8 like the plague, I am very happy I let my guard down and took part in this one.
Weather I like it or not Win10 is the direction MS has led us in and it's going to be a fun journey.

Reactions: jamescv7 and Oxygen
D

Deleted member 178

People always claiming every windows release the same things (buggy, unfinished, blablablablabla, etc.. ), i'm sure most of them never even tried a Linux Distro. Then they will be happy to use Windows.

Most of those complaining people are bloggers looking for attention ; they actually have no skills in computer except "install/remove software " and "open FF/chrome"...

Pathetic...

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
People always claiming every windows release the same things (buggy, unfinished, blablablablabla, etc.. ), i'm sure most of them never even tried a Linux Distro. Then they will be happy to use Windows.

Most of those complaining people are bloggers looking for attention ; they actually have no skills in computer except "install/remove software " and "open FF/chrome"...

Pathetic...

Yep you are exactly right, most of them have nothing better to do than to just keep whining. Although i don't claim to be a pro, i always do some research online if i ever encounter an issue and i always find a solution to fix it. Most of them just use what others recommend and they just keep deleting stuff like registries and so on.. without even knowing what they are removing. After issues start to occur and they wonder what has happened. )) I also like to check event viewer from time to time and i always keep everything up to date...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.