Guide | How To Cleaning an Infected Windows PC (Level: Beginner)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

the video is too long for me to watch ^^ btw im not sure i will learn something from him ^^

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
See his channel and all the videos and subscribers he has and still going strong.
And no 1 posts such detail videos and teaches like Eli sir so hats off to him.
These are all the basics he teaches us in this video and for me basics are the most important.
Atleast for me he deserves all the praises and respect.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Wow That is a long video so I didnt watch but I did check out his site.Eli looks like quite a friendly guy and seems to be pretty knowledgeable.I am sure he is very helpful to many people.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Very long but detailed video! (I only glanced at his video outline on his site). Not sure how many people will watch the full video but I'm sure many people will find his advices useful.

1. Generally is(if) a PC has a virus you should just do a Wipe and Reload

I just don't completely agree with that :beef:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I just don't completely agree with that Beef

Me either! Some people act like knowing for sure that their PC is not infected is a matter of national security, so they wipe it and start over.
Maybe he will learn about HIPS one day so he won't be so paranoid; actually HIPS might make him really flake out.
That is the biggest thing about HIPS I like--EVEN IF ALL THE TOOLS IN THE WORLD COULD NOT RID YOUR MACHINE OF AN INFECTION, HIPS WILL EXPOSE IT'S MALICIOUS ACTIVITY RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND, THEREFORE; YOU REALIZE YOU NEED TO REMOVE SOME MORE MALWARE, NOT WIPE THE DARN DRIVE!!!!

If it begins to take days to remove malware from your machine, and you are an experienced malware killer, maybe you would wipe it then.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Gnosis said:
Maybe he will learn about HIPS one day so he won't be so paranoid; actually HIPS might make him really flake out.
That is the biggest thing about HIPS I like--EVEN IF ALL THE TOOLS IN THE WORLD COULD NOT RID YOUR MACHINE OF AN INFECTION, HIPS WILL EXPOSE IT'S MALICIOUS ACTIVITY RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND, THEREFORE; YOU REALIZE YOU NEED TO REMOVE SOME MORE MALWARE, NOT WIPE THE DARN DRIVE!!!!

If it begins to take days to remove malware from your machine, and you are an experienced malware killer, maybe you would wipe it then.
As far as I know HIPS is mainly for prevention and when u try to remove the malwares i.e clean an infected PC Ur HIPS won't remove all of them and It wont play a major part so HIPS not so important in cleaning of an infected PC.
As according to me the best way to clean an infected PC is by scanning it with external USB flash drives containing many scanner tools (all updated) and using a external dvd disk with again lots of antivirus rescue system and scanners.
And I did watch the whole video and thought that Eli sir just missed this thing what I said above i.e external scanning and removal options.
And this video, as it states from the title was a level 1 - beginners guide so he showed us both the aspects of how a beginner should try and clean his malware infested PC i.e wipe n reload if he wants to save time and wants to be relaxed without having to face the tough malwares
or by rooting them and cleaning them out with the help of a neat prepared checklist.
I suggest to every1 to watch the full video as because if u say that i will not wipe n reload and instead try to clean my infected PC which would take a long time then y not think same for this video and give it the same long time.

D

Deleted member 178

Just use Shadow Defender/Sandboxie/Rollback RX; no need to wipe anything...oh i forgot, a backup image.

Wiping is the last resort of the true repair guys and the first things unskilled ones (aka the "IT Pros") do. (unless the real repair guys have dozen computers to fix in a day)

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
whizkidraj said:
See his channel and all the videos and subscribers he has and still going strong.
These are all the basics he teaches us in this video and for me basics are the most important.
Atleast for me he deserves all the praises and respect.

Sir,it is NOT true. I would rather go with Brian (I have not watched him from one year,so forgive me for forgetting his full username) posts videos about removing nasty things like Zero access. With full tutorial,only thing buggs me about him,is his accent...when he says 'also',I hear 'uso'...was he mentioned the WWE team?

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
whizkidraj said:
OK sorry Payback sir :p, I committed a mistake here by saying no 1 posts such detail videos, but yea there are many like u mentioned Brian so yes he also might be as good or even better than Eli sir. I also search on YouTube and see many peoples video but you cannot always like and follow all of them and their videos. I love Eli sir's videos like u love of Brain sir's :p. So np but yea thanks for reminding me that I made some mistake.
That is what makes me think and feel happy that I'm still learning so mistakes are bound to happen.

I

illumination

I watched some of this video, the guy seems alright, but i have to disagree about wiping the drive being faster and easier. When is the last time someone "timed" a complete reset to factory/or reformat as well as updating the system again, and placing all the programs back on and setting it all up? It is not something done in just a couple hours time, and with most machines you would work with, the owners "novices" are going to expect this if you "wipe" their systems. I personally would not wipe a system unless it is last option, normally done if the system is so corrupt that it is unstable. Otherwise, i use multiple tools, and eradicate the infections manually, and repair what damage has been done, and go about my day.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I also don't agree with Wiping the drive,however it is a valid way of eradicating the problem.I think most of us are looking at this from a more educated view.I think these videos are for the novice user who is not going to have the knowledge to remove the infection or where to get free online help and last but not least the time or patience to do it on their own.They then have 2 options,take it to someone who is going to charge them or spend hours trying to clean it themselves by searching the internet or joining sites like here.

Do I think it is faster and easier not for me because I have the knowledge and tools to remove it.To be honest most home users are only concerned about a couple things.Their photos and their music both of which they have mastered the art of backing up to a USB drive.I have had many say "can't you just wipe it clean and start over".When you advise them that all their programs will be gone they usually say "That's ok I don't have anything important".

In the end whether you agree or not I believe his videos are of value to the novice user.I don't agree with some things but thankfully I am not a novice user.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Just use Shadow Defender/Sandboxie/Rollback RX; no need to wipe anything...oh i forgot, a backup image.

Wiping is the last resort of the true repair guys and the first things unskilled ones (aka the "IT Pros") do. (unless the real repair guys have dozen computers to fix in a day)

Umbra actually gives useful advices...

Reactions: techienerd1

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.