Cold's configuration

Cold

Thread author
May 8, 2015
I've only posted apps that are pertaining to security.

My notebook is an Asus N550JK with the following specs (thought Id post it to filter some recommendations that might not be well-performing):

CPU: Intel core i7-4700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 850m
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB

Excited to hear your opinions :)!

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello @Cold
Your config is good but i can help you make it better
  • Have you enabled UAC? UAC can safe your PC!
  • Windows Defender? Maybe better choice is select another AV. Example: ESET,Panda,Emsisoft,Dr.Web
  • Install more on-demand scanner example Zemana,EKK, Eset online scanner
  • Install Https everywhere
  • Maybe better is remove WOT and install BitDefender TrafficLight because WOT have a lot of false positives
  • Install PrivaZer
Thanks for share your config.
Sayonara ;)

artifice22

Level 2
Verified
Apr 11, 2015
Hello
My name is artifice22 and I will be assisting you today,
your config is good but

Try installing:
1. Glary Utilities:
  • Boosts PC speed and fixes frustrating errors, crashes and freezes.
  • Features one-click functionality and easy, automated options.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance.
  • Online-support with any issues that may arouse.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance
  • The No. 1 Free, Powerful and All-in-one utility for cleaning your PC.

2. UAC:
  • Have you enable UAC yet? You better, it can save your PC big time.

To turn UAC on or off:
    1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button
      4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
      , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.

2. Do one of the following:
      • To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.
        18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
        If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

• To turn on UAC, move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click OK.
        If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Reactions: CrimbangHD and Cold

Cold

Thread author
May 8, 2015
Hello @Cold
Your config is good but i can help you make it better
  • Have you enabled UAC? UAC can safe your PC!
  • Windows Defender? Maybe better choice is select another AV. Example: ESET,Panda,Emsisoft,Dr.Web
  • Install more on-demand scanner example Zemana,EKK, Eset online scanner
  • Install Https everywhere
  • Maybe better is remove WOT and install BitDefender TrafficLight because WOT have a lot of false positives
  • Install PrivaZer
Thanks for share your config.
Sayonara ;)

-UAC is enabled.

-I have multiple images of my disk when they are NOT infected, so I could go restore my system back to the latest day (would like to hear your opinion on this approach).

-Which one of the bunch would you personally recommend? My connection is rather slow so Id rather have one that downloads signatures.

-Installed https everywhere, thanks!

-Isn't better to view people's opinions on websites (rather than an automated filters) as it might help me avoid scamming sites? I'll still test it and see how it goes. thank you!

-Will do, thanks!

Hello
My name is artifice22 and I will be assisting you today,
your config is good but

Try installing:
1. Glary Utilities:
  • Boosts PC speed and fixes frustrating errors, crashes and freezes.
  • Features one-click functionality and easy, automated options.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance.
  • Online-support with any issues that may arouse.
  • Over 20 tools to maximize your Computer's performance
  • The No. 1 Free, Powerful and All-in-one utility for cleaning your PC.

2. UAC:
  • Have you enable UAC yet? You better, it can save your PC big time.

To turn UAC on or off:
    1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button
      4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
      , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.

2. Do one of the following:
      • To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.
        If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

• To turn on UAC, move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click OK.
        If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I had bad experience with glary utilities doing the opposite of optimising my system on my old PC so I'd rather not install it,sorry but thanks for your suggestion! And yes UAC is definitely enabled.

Reactions: JM Safe

Frame of Mind

Level 1
Verified
May 7, 2015
Nice configuration you have, but there are some points you can improve like.

1 - Is your MBAM the 'premium' version?
2 - ESet as an Antivirus/Online scanner (as said before)
3 - Adwcleaner/JRT are good aswell.

Other than that, good job!

Thanks for reading,
John.

Frame of Mind

Level 1
Verified
May 7, 2015
Adwcleaner is little dangerous program because can make some issues on system. I remember how i with adwcleaner destroy my pc a few years ago. :)

Yes, if you don't know what are you doing, it may detects a "false positive" adw and you will be deleting something you need, so be careful!

Thanks for reading,
John.

Reactions: FireShootSK
H

hjlbx

WIth your system specs - you can use most any AV with room to spare - as long as it performs well on your hardware and doesn't conflict with any installed applications.

At the very least I would use Avira free over Windows Defender. On top of that I would add BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control as a bare minimum security config... but depending upon your computing habits, WD may be all you really need.

Any how, you will get lots of good recommendations from other members here at MT.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If UAC is not enabled then enable it.
Consider a second browser
One or two more on demand scanners
I like the windows 8.1 built in security(Defender,UAC,Smartscreen,Firewall) with SBIE and infection free;)
Thanks for sharing your config :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
We have almost the same specifications (except I'm not using Sandboxie), which I see its pretty good considering your knowledge. UAC should be enable at least minimal protection or use Voodoshield which also acts same powered by Virustotal engine based for AV reference detection. ;)

Again no problems as long you mentioned system image, everything goes on smoothly.

Reactions: Cold

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.