App Review Comodo Firewall 8.2 vs Malware Encryptors

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Another simple test verifying the efficacy of Comodo Firewall against a variety of malware encryptors.

In the setup portion of the Video, please note that as popups bore me, HIPS annoys me, and I have no use for AV detection, I've disabled them all.

D

Deleted member 2913

cruelsister,

On my laptop, I use Comodo FW with AV not installed.
I have set the config to Internet Security.
Firewall settings - "Dont show the popups" - Unchecked.

I am planning to install CFW the same way on the laptop of my family/relatives (average users).
The only difference Firewall settings -"Dont show the popups" - Checked & set to "Block".
What you say about the setup?
Any suggestions?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
YN- For your family I would suggest setting up CF the same way as in this Video, with the exception of enabling both the Cloud AV and VirusScope (I would suppress all alerts- is they are novices, why give them popups that they can't understand?). As to the configuration- there is no reason to use Internet Security as the config as this particular setting is optimized for the Local AV, and so is really specific for CIS. I would suggest either Proactive Security or the stock Firewall Security with the ANY switch like in this Video. But in either case, just verify that Sandboxing is actually occurring!

I do this by downloading, saving to ANYWHERE ELSE but the download folder, and running Superbcalc, found here: http://www.mariottini.net/roberto/superbcalc/download.php

Just make sure that the application has the green border around it and that it will be flushed on Sandbox reset. If it is, you are good to go.

Reactions: Moose
D

Deleted member 2913

But the FW config has HIPS enabled & Autosandbox disabled. So guess FW config is not good for average users.

And if in FW config, you disable HIPS & enable Autosandbox then its the same as Internet Security config. Thats why I use IS config.
Only change I see is FW global rules.
Am I missing anything here?

I thought of suppressing the alerts but then they would be clueless as to what happen to the programs they just installed.
I guess I will give them little info about the elevation alert & its options so that they know what each option does, what you say?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The IS config has rules for the local AV (CIS) which is obviously not needed in CF, but won't harm anything if used. What I do is essentially start with the base configuration (Firewall Config) and add the protection from there. The needed setting are those for the Sandbox and the suppressing of outbound connections for sandboxed apps in FW settings.

The suppressing of alerts are entirely an individual choice. If a person knows what they are doing computer-wise there isn't a need to stop the popups because they will be read, understood, and acted on correctly. The setup without alerts that I suggest is for both advanced and novice users (especially novice users)- no popups means no wrong choices made.

The only issue would be the sandboxing of legitimate applications. But even here there will be a visual alert (a green border) as well as an indication that a program is being isolated on the main GUI.

D

Deleted member 2913

Ok, I will install CFW & there on configure it.

If I use CIS installer to install CFW then AV related files will not be installed or I should use CFW installer?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.