• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I had CFW .4508 installed.
I updated through GUI to the latest.
During install it gave a popup to enable Yahoo for homepage & search with options "Agree & Install" & "Cancel".
I was little confused. I thought would clicking "Cancel" abort the install. I unticked Yahoo offer & was thinking now click "Agree & Install" or "Cancel" to continue the install. I clicked "Cancel" & install completed successfully. Guess if I had clicked "Agree & Install" then it would have asked me to tick Yahoo offer.
So I find the option purposely to confuse the users.

And why the heck Yahoo offer in upgrades too?
During install I already faced the offer & declined it. I accepted this behavior of additional stuffs & offers as install is one time thing.
But now with upgrades too I have to face all the craps & thats too much.
And I am sure there will be more craps with further upgrades like Avast.

Comodo going Avast way?

Reactions: Logethica
Y

yigido

Thread author
as Avast employees said, they need money to maintain all these free softwares and services.
You are experineced user, uncheck the offers and get your free software.
Avast do not let you to close ad popups... They advertise you daily..hourly..
But Comodo does not do this, you can close the upgrade button in the UI too.
Comodo gives this flexibility to its users.

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Funny, I did this procedure yesterday, had no problem, just uncheck Yahoo's option and clicked go, simple as that. I redid the procedure now and clicked cancel, and nothing was installed. I see no reason for such concern.

Reactions: yigido

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As always its a matter of preferences on how those bundledware are able to advertise, you should be shock if there's no option to exclude which already violate the users rights.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
COMODO copying Avast? No.

Comodo used to be bundled with Ask Search / HopSurf, looks like Yahoo is their new partner to monetize installations.

Edit: Yandex for Russian users? @Petrovic

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
If I remember correctly, with upgrades Comodo never pushed stuffs, atleast with CIS.
This is the first time I saw stuff with upgrades.

BuketB

Level 1
Apr 6, 2015
Hello yigido,

Thank you very much for your nice notification. Yes we are trying to give the flexibility for our users about anything that might annoy them.

Your recommendations about this case would be more than appreciated.

Kind Regards
Buket
as Avast employees said, they need money to maintain all these free softwares and services.

Reactions: yigido

59er

Level 1
Apr 23, 2015
Avast has made changes recently. Zero popups since mid-April. Never saw hourly or daily ad popups in the year I've used Avast free. I switched back and forth with silent/gaming mode for awhile but have it unchecked because there is no need. Even before the recent changes ads were rare.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Comodo has great software, asking you polite if you want to support them by switchng your search and home page to yahoo isn't a major issue. You can simple uncheck the box and you're ready to go. Comodo Firewall is one great firewall, at the price of unchecking a box.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Opt-out is kind of purposely done. They know average users i.e majority will fall for them i.e their stuffs will be installed on their system.

Though I dont like additional stuffs but if they want to add other software why not give the option as Opt-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.