Battle Comodo Sandbox vs Sandboxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapeBuffalo

Level 2
Verified
May 12, 2014
Use both and set comodo sandboxie settings high
why use 2, well sandboxie will give error when trying to run certain programs "not a valid win32 error" and so far comodo sandbox runs everything
which one is easier to use? for me its sandboxie , it has tons of option and recovery settings
also sandboxie has been taken over by another company so not sure how long it will be great since big corps focus more on selling

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Nothing beats good ol' Sandboxie. However, I used to be confused and internet connection was slow, so Comodo might be better at simplicity.

Keep in mind that companies all have specialties, but none have all of 'em. So Comodo has brilliant Firewall and abymisal AV and Sandbox. Zone Alarm excels in Parental Controls, but falls short on AV. Bitdefender has quite good AV and Firewall, but falls short on Parental Controls (and doesn't include a sandbox). Nothing can protect you from everything. Sandboxie is better simply because they are focusing on the sandbox, while Comodo is focused on AV and Firewall. If one product could excel in everything (Firewall, Malicious/Phishing Site Blocking, Performance, Usability, Parental Controls, Detection, Removal, and UI, just to name a few), then everybody would switch to that product.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This is a splendid question, Tony, one which I've wondered after, and even alluded to. Although I have only used the one called Sandboxie, it is probably the very 1st protection method Staff & members shared when I was (noob) new.:):) I have heard many praises especially on this thread.;) So, could my clearly one sided experience & somewhat sheltered view add up to being unfair to Comodo??:rolleyes: Mm... No. I may be joining:eek: the mob, but at least this is an honest, non-biased, and friendly, group of altruistically motivated un-Troll-like members whom I would implicitly trust ..even under bridges!o_O Yes, I confidently choose Sandboxie too!:cool: ;):D

D

Deleted member 178

Sandboxie but tweaked. default setting has some adnormal behavior , for example a ransomware is isolated but still allowed to run and lock your system until you close sandboxie via hard-reboot; issue should be fixed in future release by a killswitch keyboard shortcut.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Sandboxie but tweaked. default setting has some adnormal behavior , for example a ransomware is isolated but still allowed to run and lock your system until you close sandboxie via hard-reboot; issue should be fixed in future release by a killswitch keyboard shortcut.

images

Doeth Lord Umbra sense The Power of Sandboxie's Force as enough to contain the disturbance that is ransomware if it's un-tweaked?

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, Tony, for "Bridging our social communications with mental (+ computer system improvement) health, and providing strong leadership throughout the (thread) care pathway.";;):) :) and I hope you'll approve I took the liberty of drawing a small parallel from your signature with what members shared here because I admired how beautifully fitting it was worded.:) :D

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
From Comodo's website, talking about the Sandbox settings:
  • Partially Limited (Default) - The application is allowed to access all operating system files and resources like the clipboard. Modification of protected files/registry keys is not allowed. Privileged operations like loading drivers or debugging other applications are also not allowed.
Compared with Sandboxie on default:
(kb.ncomputing.com/kb/afile/234/122/)

By default Sandboxie will create a sandboxed file store. The software will then copy any files the application uses, like the exe and dll’s and data modules into the sandboxed file store. It will also create and contain any registry changes, file changes and created files. Thus if you opened and application that changed a registry setting, you created files with this app and you opened a virus infected file with this app. All the changes, virus and all would be trapped/contained in the sandbox file store.

So to answer your question @Tony Cole, Sandboxie is the most secure on default settings. Access to system files and non protected registry keys is available to an application running in Comodo, meaning there is potential for actual damage to occur to your system (for example, your documents could be encrypted by ransomware), whereas in Sandboxie, any documents or registry keys that are modified are in fact only a 'copy' (your actual files are not modified), meaning as @Umbra Polaris said previously, ransomware will simply create an encrypted copy of your files in the sandbox and your actual files will remain untouched.

Hope that helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.