Computer Security's Security Configuration

Computer Security

Thread author
Oct 10, 2015
Hello everyone,
I am using K7 total security as my primary antivirus(i know many have not heard of it,but it's a descent security software,not one of the best though),malwarebytes anti malware premium,malwarebytes anti exploit,Open DNS service,Virus total,CCleaner,Windows firewall,Web of trust chrome extension,Mcafee site advisor,(mayble will donload hitman pro and Ensisoft emergency kit in a few days)along with average to good browsing habits(do not download something very often,unless i am sure that it is clean)
Having all this,is this enough for complete computer security(using windows 7).
If not,what ELSE can i get,or replce to ensure that my computer is FULLY protected all the time(I know that complete,100% security is not possible but still.)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would like to suggest some backup software such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a very good free version. ;)

Then if you do get an infection you can use it to get your machine straight back up and running again. :)

Thanks for sharing. ;)

Computer Security

Thread author
Oct 10, 2015
Yes,i would take a note of that Sir.
But do i really need a third part Firewall,HIPS,Behavious Blocking as suggested by some of the members,or would the windows firewall alone suffice.Should i get Spybot search and destroy due to its immunisation function(HOSTS file editting to block thousands of websites).Also please suggest some on demand scanners(I have MBAM premium as one),or other security softwares/addons or some other softwares which can help me to completely secure my PC.
Thanks!

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
You could give Voodoo Shield a try it works well, also Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a good on demand scanner and HitmanPro for scanning purposes. ;)

Voodoo Shield is like UAC on steroids.

L

LabZero

Follow @frogboy advice to increase security but if you don't download malware for testing, as you infected your machine?

It is essential to be careful what you download and what sites you visit.

You can add Sandboxie (freeware) to encapsulate the browser in a sandbox environment: This greatly increases the security of your system.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kent and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
K7 product is fine for your system so that should?be supplement already. In terms of siteadvisor which you may choose one as your primary checker and better optimize on browsing.

Well better steer away for Spybot since its unnecessary and let your current AV perform the job.

Reactions: Kent and frogboy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Are you using Windows 7 x86 or x64 and do you have SP1 installed ?
Windows Firewall should suffice
Consider some type of backup solution
You could add one or two more on demand scanners
Consider an additional back up browser
I would also consider adding Sandboxie
Reference this thread on how to update your config [MUST READ] How to update your security config without creating a new thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent

Computer Security

Thread author
Oct 10, 2015
I am using Windows 7 Home Basic 64 bit Service Pack 1.So,should i get any king of HIPS,or Behaviors blocking software,or any other kind of software.Please suggest me the one that would serve the best.Also please recommend me some Good on demand scanners,if i need one(I already have Malware-bytes anti malware premium as one).
Thanks!

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am using Windows 7 Home Basic 64 bit Service Pack 1.So,should i get any king of HIPS,or Behaviors blocking software,or any other kind of software.Please suggest me the one that would serve the best.Also please recommend me some Good on demand scanners,if i need one(I already have Malware-bytes anti malware premium as one).
Thanks!
On demand scanners such as ESET Online Scanner,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Hitman Pro,Herd Protect

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
On demand scanners such as ESET Online Scanner,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Hitman Pro,Herd Protect

I use Herdprotect for the last 2 days and all i can say is they needs to fix false positives ASAP. I upload the false positives onto Virustotal.com and it shows Avira and Dr.Web did not detect it, but on their program it states that Avira and Dr.Web still detect it. So to my question is are they using up-to-date signature across the engines? If they are using up-to-date signature across the engines then i shouldn't receive massive false positives from Herdprotect.

Reactions: frogboy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Herd Protect is know for FP's so this is why you have a couple three on demand scanners.No AV,Suite or Antimalware is FP free this includes on demand scanners

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Herd Protect is know for FP's so this is why you have a couple three on demand scanners.No AV,Suite or Antimalware is FP free this includes on demand scanners

I never receive any false positive from MBAM for the last 2 years, but i do receive some false positives from Emsisoft Emergency Kit. But i do agree with your statement that all AV do generate false positives.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.