Cowpipe Windows Config (Updated)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Updated configuration. Still haven't decided upon a backup solution that I like, therefore manual burning to DVD/DL is my current system.

Interesting Points:

ICD 2.3.1 ~ Interrupt Control Driver
A small driver coded by myself that I use to block various API, system calls and other operations at kernel level. With careful configuration, this blocks a lot of attempts by malware to embed on my system. The configuration is complicated and not user friendly and incorrect settings can cause crashes or even BSOD. Therefore at the moment, it's a private tool for my own use ;) Coded in C language.

I2P ~ Invisible Internet Project
Like TOR, but designed from the ground up to host and access hidden services. In Darknet mode (connecting only to computers you trust), a private network is formed which is nearly invisible to the outside world and very secure. The darknet I participate in is nothing exciting or illegal, just a private forum for code sharing between several developers I know (it's a cypherpunk thing).

Gpg4win ~ Windows port of GnuPG
Allows me to send encrypted email from Windows. I use it for sending paperwork to people and other mundane uses :p

WinJail ~ Like chroot for Windows (or a kind of sandbox if you will)
Use this less often these days as there are certain restrictions which make implementing a meaningful jail on Windows almost impossible. The software has similar functionality to Sandboxie and the like, but I've found myself using it less, having been working more on Linux with native chroot.

Browser Configuration:
Chrome & Firefox: Java disabled, Flash enabled.

jen900

Level 4
Verified
Aug 24, 2014
Nice config after all. Now there is a question that come in my mind why do alienware uses win7 home premium for a gaming pc..

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
My Dear Cowpipe, your configuration's very cool!!:cool: It must truly be The Cowpipe whom makes the config, and not the other way around!:D I find nothing 'elementary' in the least (..well, except Ghostery's white listing which I like!:):)) as I've taken in your amazing set up and corresponding reasoning for how ..the Avast! bone's connected to the Ad-Aware bone!!;):p In fact, you'd answered more questions through your narrative than the number I'd thought of!:p
Coincidentally, I've recently installed Avast Premier (like you..), and just happen to have a license key for *drum roll, please*:rolleyes: Lavasoft Ad-Aware too.:p Again, any question was answered faster than a speeding "..but how?" as you'd posted 'Ad-Aware (compatibility mode)' showed me the the way!:D (..just like your explanation of WinJail!;)) ..sort of.:p

I like that you burn disks as your back up. For it is a far far better thing I do to burn (today) than being burned (tomorrow)!:D

Lastly, my friend, "SoftICE (anyone who knows me will know why) :p"

Tell us more, Dr. Cowpipe! We want to know!!:p:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpipe and vrb93

wisd0m

Level 2
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Nice Config
only one question why do you prefer Avast over the other antivirus on the market ?

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Nice config after all. Now there is a question that come in my mind why do alienware uses win7 home premium for a gaming pc..

I'm not exactly sure but I would assume that it's because the more feature rich versions of Windows actually provide no advantage for gamers over the more stripped down versions. In fact, the additional services and 'bloat' that are activated by default can slow the computer down, and we all know how whiney gamers get about their FPS dropping ;)

My Dear Cowpipe, your configuration's very cool!!:cool: It must truly be The Cowpipe whom makes the config, and not the other way around!:D I find nothing 'elementary' in the least (..well, except Ghostery's white listing which I like!:):)) as I've taken in your amazing set up and corresponding reasoning for how ..the Avast! bone's connected to the Ad-Aware bone!!;):p In fact, you'd answered more questions through your narrative than the number I'd thought of!:p
Coincidentally, I've recently installed Avast Premier (like you..), and just happen to have a license key for *drum roll, please*:rolleyes: Lavasoft Ad-Aware too.:p Again, any question was answered faster than a speeding "..but how?" as you'd posted 'Ad-Aware (compatibility mode)' showed me the the way!:D (..just like your explanation of WinJail!;)) ..sort of.:p

I like that you burn disks as your back up. For it is a far far better thing I do to burn (today) than being burned (tomorrow)!:D

Lastly, my friend, "SoftICE (anyone who knows me will know why) :p"

Tell us more, Dr. Cowpipe! We want to know!!:p:D

Well quite simply, SoftICE is an 'oldskool' debugger. It was the debugger of choice for software crackers and reverse engineers like during the early days of Windows up until it's discontinuation some 15 years ago. I actually used to use SoftICE on DOS and so it holds a lot of special memories. Just as IDA is generally regarded as the debugger of malware analysts, SoftICE is widely regarded as the debugger of software crackers and reverse engineers of the past, and as software having such close ties to the scene I grew up with and indeed having such good memories of it myself, it is for those reasons it remains my favourite debugger even today. And I still use it more than I use OllyDBG actually (since I work with older software and code frequently). I actually moved to using LinICE on it's release and do use it sometimes but since it's dead now it's just not practical in a lot of cases.

Nice Config
only one question why do you prefer Avast over the other antivirus on the market ?

Well, on my computer, Avast has proven to be the most stable and light-weight of all anti-viruses that I've tried with the exclusion of ESET (which was lighter). For example. Kaspersky IS ran so slowly on my laptop and there were bugs in the update function. Bitdefender slowed my start-up to a crawl which I couldn't put up with.

Having used Avast for four years previously as well, I'm used to it's quirks and features and it's offered me reasonably sound protection so far, with my last infection being human error rather than a fault with Avast. I also really hate it when anti-virus software takes decisions automatically, such as deleting files without my permission or consent which is another reason I like Avast as I've never experienced this trouble with them. I mean there are bugs in the software, I will guiltily admit to exploiting one of them in order to get a free two year license of Avast (yes, without their consent) but to me, it is definitely one of the more stable engines on the market and stability for me, is just as important as good detection ability. :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I thought that Lavasoft Ad-Aware died a few years ago when it couldn't compete against new, modern Antiviruses/Antimalwares ?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
An earlier Giveaway placed it (Ad-Aware) on the map for me!:D
The name Cowpipe grants it re-newed respectability, ..don't you think?!:p;)

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I thought that Lavasoft Ad-Aware died a few years ago when it couldn't compete against new, modern Antiviruses/Antimalwares ?

Yeah it died off but they brought it back with a complete overhaul and as a companion program I think it works quite well :) It's certainly one of the more stable programs out there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.