64-bit (x64)
Level of computer security knowledge and awareness:
Medium
Last malware infection on your computer:
A few years ago/So long that I cannot even remember
Virtual-Machine Malware Testing:
No
Number of users for this machine:
Other people are also using this machine (Shared)
User Account Control settings:
Maximum Setting
Real-Time Protection:
Eset Nod 32 | Comodo Firewall | Sandboxie Paid
On-demand scanners:
HMP, EEK, Comodo CE, MBAM
Default Web Browser:
Firefox / Internet Explorer 11 (with Smartscreen)
Backup Solution:
AX64 Time Machine

Browser Extensions/Add-ons:
Firefox: AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, IDM, Avast Online Security, Self Destructing Cookies
Other software installed on this machine worth mentioning:
CCleaner, Privazer, Process Hacker, Iobit Uninstaller, Iobit ASC 7, Internet Download Manager

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

good config, nothing much else to say; be sure to put other people accounts as guest (it will lower their privileges)

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
good config, nothing much else to say; be sure to put other people accounts as guest (it will lower their privileges)

noted ;) ..

Nice config, not much bloat which I like to see. Do you set Avast to detect PUP?

ive maxed the settings so PUPs are included

so far i really like the new AIS, they´ve improved a few things, but i liked the v7 gui much more. the overall performance is much better now. on custom installation ive unchecked the secureline VPN, Avast Gadget (the sidebar, very similar to comodo´s sidebar), Software Updater and remote access for service use.

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
but i have to confess :) .. iam always tempted to go back to Emsisoft Internet Security, its the Suite (or combo) with the least flaws IMHO. Avast hasn´t been able to fix its sandbox since v7 .. it still write´s outside of the sandbox, so for now its useless. and if you ask anything on the german avast support boards, you will get answers that are good for a laugh, but nothing more :) .. i asked about the agnitum firewall, then i was told that he wouldn´t know anything about that but i wouldn´t notice it, since it has nothing to do with the user Interface or gui, so its nothing to "see"

it really is a shame, because i like the concept of avast overall (besides the useless stuff you can install with it) its light, simple, doesnt Show you many popups and can protect you well if you configure it right. so for now, i will stay with it .. but maybe .. the other day .. i go back to EIS.

before avast i used eset .. i liked it alot, but its HIPS really needs a whitelist .. (always changing to learning mode is kind of annoying) .. and sometimes eset behave´s strangely .. at least on my system ..

so Avast, Eset and EIS are my favourite Suite´s so far .. from time to time changing inbetween the three .. haven´t found any other Suite i liked that much.

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
ok .. ive read you really like webroot all over the forums .. :) have you been able to test it alot against actual threats ? i know its detection is not its strong point .. and thats not its purpose .. but have its main features rewinded any changes made on your sys or virtual environment ?

D

Deleted member 178

yes , the detection is average because WSA is working differently (even some "serious" tests labs like AV-C said that).

WSA create a baseline upon installation then the system is monitored (as any other AV) but when a unknown process is detected , WSA use its cloud heuristics/signature; if it is a known malware , WSA quarantine/remove it; if not, the process is tightly monitored and its privileges reduced (what changes on the system it does, etc..)

if the unknown process is flagged as malware later by the cloud then all changes (if existing) will be negated if possible.

How WSA Works : http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-wsa-works.11871/

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
@Umbra Polaris

thx for the info ;) ..

anyone else experiencing high ram usage with the newest program version of Avast IS ? .. the avastsvc alone is using around 70 - 90 mb on my system .. i dont feel that much of it but its higher than previous versions. Eset shows that high ram usage doesn´t have to be heavy for the system, but the high ram usage itself is unusual for avast.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
@Umbra Polaris
anyone else experiencing high ram usage with the newest program version of Avast IS ? .. the avastsvc alone is using around 70 - 90 mb on my system .. i dont feel that much of it but its higher than previous versions. Eset shows that high ram usage doesn´t have to be heavy for the system, but the high ram usage itself is unusual for avast.

I have seen similar complaints and the consensus seems to be that it could be attributed to the web shield or just using more ram to make the program itself run faster.

Reactions: cptredsox

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
could be both .. but it would fit to the overall feeling .. it feels kind of "lighter" and the performance is better overall, only the seen ram usage is way higher 5 - 6 times.

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
just tried KIS 2014 .. just out of interest .. really still pretty heavy :D the RAM usage is enormous .. around 300 mb total. the boot time is ok, not that much of a drag on it .. but making changes in the config, scans, etc. .. its so slow .. its features are cool but i think its not worth the heavyness .. at least now, for me .. so back to Avast

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
New Setup: Avast Internet Security Maxed settings without Firewall + Comodo FW BB and Hips on .. and back online with Firefox :)

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
nice choices

AXTM ist one of the best softs ive tried recently ;) .. and sometimes, for the setup, its time for a change ;) .. so far it is staying that way, need to test this setup a little but i like the overall performance and feel so far. and if i want to change again, AXTM comes in pretty handy :) ..

D

Deleted member 178

btw, did you turned off ESET Hips? i meant disabled it via reboot?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.