CPU Foreground Boosting of Applications: Helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello.

Several programs offer the ability to boost programs (esp. the launch times) by controlling the CPU by creating more threads to the foreground application on focus. Some examples:

ProcessLasso (this feature can be enabled but disabled by default. In fact ProcessLasso discourages it)
Ashampoo WinOptimizer
MZU CPU Optimizer

Is this ability needed? Is it helpful or could cause trouble? Is CPU handling by Windows enough? Thanks/

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Yes the application you boost benefits. But other processes and services suffers. So i never go for it.

D

Deleted member 178

it was a feature useful for Win98-XP but modern OS handle it quite good by themselves, no need for it.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
it was a feature useful for Win98-XP but modern OS handle it quite good by themselves, no need for it.

On top of that Windows will allocate the resources for a task as it is, the performance gain by foreground tasks is so small that its virtually non existent, and IMO it only screws up the balance.
My advise would be DO NOT change it unless you 100% know what you are doing.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
On top of that Windows will allocate the resources for a task as it is, the performance gain by foreground tasks is so small that its virtually non existent, and IMO it only screws up the balance.
My advise would be DO NOT change it unless you 100% know what you are doing.

Okay, thanks much. Does it also apply to those CPU programs who try to catch CPU eaters to prevent lags? Like the ProBalance of ProcessLasso? Or ProcessLasso good in this? I've been using ProcessLasso since June 8 and noticed that my system is more stable, lags are somewhat efficiently handled.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
D

Deleted member 178

You are lucky because when i used Process Lasso ling time ago it hanged my system

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I believe it's not needed. Even in my underpowered WinXP I don't use it.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Several programs offer the ability to boost programs (esp. the launch times) by controlling the CPU by creating more threads to the foreground application on focus. Some examples:

ProcessLasso (this feature can be enabled but disabled by default. In fact ProcessLasso discourages it)
Any link?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I use ProcessLasso but for assigning certain threads to games that are poorly optimized for multi-threading (1st world problems), it can help with an additional 10-20 fps overall.

From the features and how Pro Balance works, I'm sure it helps with lower end computers to focus resources where it's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.