Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Everyone!

I have a license key for CryptoPrevent but stopped using it (and no I am not offering it to people) as I had to stop the protection so it would not block Windows updates and software installation. I thought I'd give it another try and set it at default "set it and forget it" and I can install/uninstall software, plus update Windows. Have the settings changed, or is this a new feature?

Tony :)

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
CryptoPrevent has a lot of different level protections. The most basic one just place restrictions into the places where some ransomware is known to start from (and also affect some other malware).

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Yes, there is none, basic, default, maximum and maximum + program filtering, do not enable it messes up a lot - I tried it :( lost all my icons and sfc /scannow found errors it could not repair.

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
IMHO your problem didn't sound like one that CryptoPrevent can make - more like a hard drive error or something.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I'm running the free version on a XP desktop, and have been for over a year. The early versions did present an issue with blocking certain installations from running requiring that I temporarily disable it until after the install was complete. That situation has improved with later releases and I rarely have this problem now. But I don't a lot of installs on that system either, and with Windows updates disabled I can't say whether CryptoPrevent is a hindrance there, or not.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I've been using Maximum Protection with no problems. There are few times that some installer are blocked, so I have to switch if off temporarily. Haven't tried the + Program Filtering Beta option though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.