DCT ‘Best Of’ Freeware Awards for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
While 2013 has not seen a huge amount of activity on the freeware scene with most established products remaining largely unchallenged in the popularity stakes, there have still been a few relative newcomers that have managed to capture the imagination. It’s been my experience that it requires something pretty special to lure users away from long time favorites and try something new different anyway.

It’s rare to find a one-shoe-fits-all freeware solution that one can recommend for all levels of users in all circumstances. Consequently, our ‘Best Of’ selections are geared toward the vast majority of ‘average’ home users and based on a balance of criterion including; simplicity and ease of use, size and resource usage, effectiveness, and to a lesser extent, overall reputation.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree with most of these

Panda Free-I think there are some other choices just as good

CCleaner-of course but I am going to try PrivaZer which was mentioned in here

Open Office-I use it and like it

Uninstaller-I think IObit Uninstaller is worthy of mentioning

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Best Free AV - Avast
PDF - Sumatra like mentioned
Disk Cleaner - Wise & Privazer
Office - Kingsoft & Apache
Uninstaller - IObit
Backup - Paragon Backup & Recovery Free or Aomei Backuper

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
Jim excluded both Kingsoft office and Iobit uninstaller on principle rather than performance ;)

Reactions: Littlebits

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Jim excluded both Kingsoft office and Iobit uninstaller on principle rather than performance ;)
Performance is not the only virtue that adorns this software. You don't have to be expert to realize that...

D

Deleted member 178

Nothing really innovating, looks like a clone of the endless "redactor's choice" topics

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
first time heard about this GeekUninstaller, i will surely try it though, but love to stay with Revo free/ IObit...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

That wasn't right, just because they are Chinese companies doesn't mean their products are no good.
IObit Uninstaller beats Geek Uninstaller hands down compared both for yourself.
Kingsoft Office is many ways is better than LibreOffice, it is much lighter and more like Microsoft Office.

These two products should have been the winners.

Enjoy!! :D

D

Deleted member 178

agree with the comments above , i tried them and i can confirm.

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
@ Littlebits. Yes i agree if i have to choose office suits other than MS , my obvious choice will be Kingsoft office.
As far as Uninstaller there is so many good choices are there .

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have tried the many Uninstallers out there but for me personally ,IObit is the one I use.I think it does a better overall job especially scanning for leftover items.

I like open office but I have to agree that Kingsoft should have been mentioned.

Last edited:
I

illumination

Even though Revo Pro was my favorite for a long time, i have used IObit Uninstaller many times here recently, and find it does an excellent job doing what it is supposed to.

kevbo

Level 1
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
Too many questions surrounding Iobit's past practices for me to trust any of their software, just my opinion. Although Sandboxie is a great piece of software, it should be mentioned that they were just recently acquired by a different company, so the future direction of their software may be in doubt, in spite of current assurances.

Otherwise a good, if uninspired, list.

D

Deleted member 178

Too many questions surrounding Iobit's past practices for me to trust any of their software, just my opinion.

seriously this things still matter? if you go completely in this way, you will wear/use nothing and live as an hermit in the forest ^^

kevbo

Level 1
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
seriously this things still matter? if you go completely in this way, you will wear/use nothing and live as an hermit in the forest ^^
OTOH, if we held people and companies accountable for their past actions, eventually, we all could look over our shoulders a little bit less. But I'm old school like that. As I said: just my opinion.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I posted a commit on this blog about how Jim Hillier feels that Kingsoft and IObit are unethical but still recommends Aomei products which are also Chinese products. Aomei are known blog and forum spammers, I have deleted several spam posts on this forum and my own website. They also post fake reviews on download sites like Softpedia, Cnet, DownloadCrew, etc. praising their products with high reviews. Their free products are very limited and sometimes have trial features which are disabled after using for awhile. Aomei also hides their whois info (Whois Privacy Services Pty Ltd) on all of their domains from the public unlike Kingsoft and IObit which includes complete details. Who knows Aomei could be owned and ran by IObit, EaseUS or another Chinese company since many Chinese companies are known to create different company names, clone their own products and release them under different names. Since Aomei hides their whois info there is no telling who actually owns them. Legitimate companies never hide their whois info from the public which makes them look very suspicious.

I don't think Jim Hillier liked my commits which provided facts, so he deleted my commit.
Several companies run unethical practices but still develop excellent software (mostly Chinese companies), I totally disagree with any review site that refuses to recommend excellent products from unethical companies. Freeware developers for example have to do unethical practices in order to stay in business since most users will never donate a single cent.

Unethical practices like stealing source codes, false advertising, posting fake reviews, bundling adware, toolbars and rogue products, collecting user data, etc. has been going on for many years, just about every company has did one or more.

Thanks. :D

Reactions: tapoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.