Always notify
Real-time security
Norton Security
VoodooShield Pro [lifetime]
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
GlassWire Basic [paid, lifetime] (not a malware scanner, but not running in real time either, so I put it here)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, Firefox; LastPass
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Process Lasso Pro
System recovery
Acronis True Image [WD Edition]

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Updated 14 Aug, 2016
GlassWire Basic [paid] is also installed, but not running in real time.

Have also used Group Policy to harden system, such as blocking scripts, disabled elevation of unsigned applications automatically, and deny ALL elevation (signed or not) for standard/non-admin accounts, also the limited/non-admin account is the main account I use, only using admin when absolutely necesarry.

Last edited:

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
I just want to know why are you using Python 3 in place of Python 2. You are not updated to the latest stable version Python 3.4.3.
Other than that your config looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Because my Computer Science department uses 3.4.2, not exactly sure why. We also use an outdated version of NXDesktop client to connect to our linux server

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi, and thank you @Shran for sharing your well listed configuration. It was refreshing to read about your individual virtual machines, and their realtime protections in Virtual Box!:)

As you are a user of uBlock, I've read it is now available for Firefox (Thanks @exterminator20 !;)) and, earlier today, installed it on our Windows 7 SP 1.

(Edit: We prefer using uBlock Origin which is being actively developed by Raymond Hill @https://github.com/gorhill)
PS Your thread's title made me smile too! See? > :D

Last edited:

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Update 19 June, 2015:

Added: VoodooShield to host system (still using NSBU as resident AV).
Added: two new VMs: openSUSE 13.2 x64 & Linux Mint 17.x x64
Added: a software restriction policy using gpedit.msc to each Windows machine (VMs included) to block
the opening of the following script types: *.vbs, *.vbe, *.js, *.jse, *.wsf, *.wsh.
Added: Used gpedit.msc to block all autorun commands.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Great config! Very solid - its toughest spot must be AppGuard. Make sure you make full use of it and consider it one of your strongest layers of security - because it really is! :p

Be sure to use Acronis True Image to create a clean, full system image to restore your system to the exact state it was in when you created that image.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.