Battle Deep Freeze,Sandboxie and Shadow Defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
If you asking me to choose one from above, I prefer sandboxie :)
And if you like to combine, I'd like to use sandboxie and shadow defender, just in case for extra protection if you forgot or running unexpected program without being sandboxed. Although it sounds waste of money if we are aware enough with UAC and smart screen :)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Sandboxie is better for web browser & almost every home users infect there pc through internet or if u want full pc virtualization then use shadowdefender, it's better then deep freeze. But remember rare stealth rookit can bypass sandbox so nothing is bulletproof. and using sandboxie with shadow defender is really waste computer resources. use only sandboxie if u think u want browser & web protection or use shadowdefender if u want full pc virtualization.

ciprian

Verified
Oct 26, 2013
I have ShadowDefender and the only thing I am worried about is the ability to protect my MBR that is not implemented just yet. Also, the updates for SD are very rare but I must say I do not see any need as far as the program works so nice.
My biggest concern is that I haven't encounter a virus for more than 1 year I believe (having Avast Antivirus Pro) this rising concerns about effectiveness in general because I scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as well.
So, staying on the safe side makes the best protection I guess (even I am not always a Jedy)

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Author Pegr @ Wilder Security!

Here are some points to consider that may help you decide. Sandboxie and Shadow Defender are different types of virtualization, and it helps to have an appreciation of how each works.

First a general note about virtualization. Virtualization prevents the system from becoming permanently infected by malware and ensures perfect cleanup, with no traces of any malware remaining outside of the virtual environment; but it doesn't, by itself, prevent malware from running within the virtual environment, with the possible risk of data and identity theft.

Furthermore, there will always be some files and folders that the user won't want virtualized (in case of data loss as a result of forgetting to save changes to data before exiting the virtual environment). These may be a potential target for ransomware, e.g. Cryptolocker.

Virtualization is a useful layer to contain system change but shouldn't be thought of as a complete security solution. Some kind of additional protection is also required. This can be real-time AV/AM, or can be HIPS, policy-restriction, anti-execution, etc, according to user preference.

Sandboxie
Sandboxie is an application sandbox that works at the file system level, but only for those applications that the user chooses to run in the sandbox. Sandboxed applications have all file system and registry writes redirected into the sandbox container folder, isolating them within the sandbox. Sandboxed applications also have to be isolated from interacting with unsandboxed applications in ways that would allow sandbox security to be breached. Isolating sandboxed from unsandboxed processes introduces some complexities.

1. Application software updates can sometimes break sandbox functionality, which means that Sandboxie has to be kept updated to cope with the consequences of software changes in applications that are candidates for sandboxing, e.g. browsers. Unless a lifetime license was previously purchased before the Invincea takeover, keeping Sandboxie up to date will mean purchasing an annual license.

2. Sandboxie compatibility settings may be required for Sandboxie to work smoothly alongside some other security applications and utilities. There may be also a few applications which simply aren't compatible.

3. Sandboxie has to prevent the installation drivers and services within the sandbox, and cannot be used to test software that installs a driver or service.

One of the major plus points of Sandboxie is that it also has a rich set of policy-restriction features that can be applied to applications running in the sandbox. It is much more than just application sandboxing, which means that Sandboxie can be used as a complete security solution for the containment of untrusted applications.

Shadow Defender
Shadow Defender is lightweight virtualization that works below the level of the Windows file system to virtualize entire disk partitions. As a minimum this should include the system partition. Changes are virtualized by redirecting all disk sectors writes on a shadowed partition to a hidden temporary cache. Shadow Defender can be thought of as sitting between Windows and the running applications. This has some consequences.

1. Providing applications are making normal Windows file system calls (direct disk writes are prevented), Shadow Defender will handle disk sector redirection without the application being aware of Shadow Defender's existence. This is a simple and robust mechanism. Shadow Defender does not need to be kept up to date to cope with software changes in applications. Furthermore, the license is lifetime, covering all future software updates.

2. No software compatibility settings are required for Shadow Defender to operate smoothly alongside other security applications and utilities. The operation of Shadow Defender is invisible to applications running at the level of the Windows file system.

3. As all system changes are discarded when rebooting to exit Shadow Mode, Shadow Defender restores the system to a previous known state in order to eliminate unwanted change from whatever cause: malware infection, system crashes, etc. It's about more than just protecting the system against infection by malware.

4. Because the entire system partition is virtualized in Shadow Mode, all processes are running within a system-wide sandbox. No process isolation between sandboxed and unsandboxed processes is needed. Software that installs drivers or services can be tested using Shadow Defender, providing that it does not require a reboot to complete the install.

5. Because Shadow Defender virtualizes the entire system partition, care needs to be taken to ensure that changes to data aren't accidentally lost when rebooting. If the data folders are located on the system partition, Shadow Defender can be configure to permanently exclude them from virtualization. Alternatively, data folders can be moved to a separate data partition, if there is one. (As an alternative to folder exclusions, changes to data files can be committed manually but it does mean remembering to do it to avoid data loss.)

Unlike Sandboxie, Shadow Defender does not have any added real-time protection features beyond virtualization. This makes it essential to supplement Shadow Defender with additional real-time protection.

Finally, because they operate differently, they can be used together. Sandboxie can provide the additional real-time protection for sandboxed applications that Shadow Defender lacks, whereas Shadow Defender enables the system to be kept in a constant state that can also be useful for software testing.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Author,Cutting_Edgetech @ Wilder Security!

Moose, Shadow Defender will not prevent you from becoming infected, but any infection you get while in Shadow mode will be discarded once you reboot. You are operating in a virtual environment similar to a Virtual Machine. Shadow Defender protects you by dropping all changes made while in shadow Mode after rebooting. If you become infected while in Shadow Mode that infection will actively run on your machine until you reboot again. After you reboot all changes made to your machine while in Shadow Mode will be discarded, and your machine will return to the exact state it was before entering Shadow Mode. You can test this yourself by uninstalling some software, and deleting some files while in Shadow Mode. After you reboot you will see that the software you uninstalled, and files you deleted are still there. Shadow Defender will not allow you to make any changes to your machine while in Shadow Mode unless you define exclusions in Shadow Defender's settings. If you want to test this just make sure the software you uninstall, and the files you delete are located on the volume that you are running in Shadow Mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xtwillight

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
U don't need any shadow defender, why u gonna pay buck for another security software? first think where u gonna get those pack of malwares which u r afraid of?? second for exmaple think if u mistakenly downloaded a malware which is unknown stealth rootkit/backdoor( in case it's happen less) & shadow defender will not gonna guard u coz it will not guarantee u 100% protection & then u will reboot ur pC, everything will back change but that malware will still float in ur pc which u & ur shadow defender r unaware of & u need to wipe ur hard disk or maybe a earlier clean backup will do that job. Most malwares comes from online & from inserting infected usb sticks/ cd/dvd & sharing files/folders through network drives or sharing PC. so aware usrelf wut u r doing & a free version of sandboxie is nuff for ur browser protection ( beside keyloggers will still able to steal stuff even in shadow defender). Protect ur browser, protect ur online activity & likely u will get any malware.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
shadow defender creates a lots of problem and a average or basic users will face problem plus my config is old, i changed my config many times to get more knowledge that i really need this or not plus I didn't updated it coz i'm too lazy to type :)

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
I am using both SandBoxie and Shadow Defender!;)
And I do not have fast boot disable!

Built-In Security Operating system:Windows 8.1.1 X64 Bits O.S.

User Account Control: Highest Setting
Windows Defender: Disable
Windows Firewall: Enable

Protection:
Emsisoft Anti-Malware,
Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware,
Trojan Hunter

SandBoxie
Shadow Defender (Trail Version)

Been using Shadow Defender trail with no problems!
The only problem that I had was Windows 8.1.1 X86 Bits Operating System.
When I first install Shadow Defender! On the X86 Bits Operating System.

On-demand scanner: herdProtection one a week scan
Web Browser(s): Internet Explorer11 and Opera NextBrowser
Extensions/Add-Ons: Adguard Web Filter,Disconnect, History Eraser,IvlogSafe and Zenmate.

Back-up: Windows Back to a External Hard Drive
Process Monitor: Processor Explorer
Update Checker: Patch my PC
Recovery: Hiren Boot CD
Clean up and privacy software: Privacy Eraser

With kind regards;)
Could you share the problems that Shadow Defender was making for you? Please!

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
it's overkill but it's ur choice. Leave trojan hunter alone. why u gonna pay for that which only provide a average real time protection & ac t as on-demand scanner & who is costly $39.95 where u can buy another good full suite AV with less money? there r better freeware out there like avira pc cleaner, EEK, Dr.WebCureit. actually when u have already EAM then u don't need any other paidware protection like trojan hunter. just keep a MBAM free version, u already overdoze with a virtual environment. Problems like sometimes i configure some programs settings/system settings i can't commit it & like that.. disable shadow defender before window update or u will face boot loop. Also be aware the longer you are in Shadow Mode and the more system Changes occur the more space the shadow Volume will consume, so would be advisable to restart every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.