Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The last months, I have noticed that when using Avast on my two computers (PC & laptop), Google Chrome does not open almost instantly (warm start not cold, no extensions activated). Even with Kaspersky the time needed for Chrome windows to open is shorter.
I think Avast has become heavy even if you only keep the 3 basic shields while installing.
I am sad for it as Avast has protected me for many many years till now.
Your experience? :)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The last months, I have noticed that when using Avast on my two computers (PC & laptop), Google Chrome does not open almost instantly (warm start not cold, no extensions activated). Even with Kaspersky the time needed for Chrome windows to open is shorter.
I think Avast has become heavy even if you only keep the 3 basic shields while installing.
I am sad for it as Avast has protected me for many many years till now.
Your experience? :)
I don't use Avast,but here are some tips that may help in speeding up your browser:
http://powercutin.hubpages.com/hub/how-to-speed-up-google-chrome-browser-downloads
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027...it-faster-smarter-and-better-than-before.html

These tips may, or may not help you but you can give it a shot!:)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I hope the devs to fix such issues soon. I created a post in Avast forums yesterday too, but only one reply that wasn't even related :cool:

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The issue continues to exist. Fed up.. From now on I ll use avira free, windows defender (8) or panda cloud free. All of them are lighter.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I'm assuming this is could be related to the Avast WebRep plugin being slow to load into memory?

Do you get the slow down with the entire Avast suite disabled (including stopping running services)?
Hmm I dodn't remember anymore. I 'll test it in my system and will reply in a few minutes. It's not a system-specific issue, it's happening in all PC's I 've seen Avast.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Avast webrep is not installed, only file, web & mail shield are installed.

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Shut down Avast via the Avast GUI, then try to stop any services running in services.msc The driver might still be loaded so may disallow this, but you should be able to change the start type to "manual" and reboot (make sure you stop avast from starting too with msconfig.exe) And of course, make a note of everything you change so you can restore everything correctly later :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.