Do I really need an antivirus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbz

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2014
Just wondering... Do I really need an antivirus if I have shadow defender (Permanent mode), MBAM premium, NoVirusThanks Driver Radar pro and sandboxie installed ???

D

Deleted member 21043

I recommend using Emsisoft or ESET. They have always worked well with me, and they are compatible with Common Sense 2015.

I usually use either one of the above on my PC (well I switched to ESET recently) and then I use my knowledge to fish out things before clicking on highly suspicious websites etc, and double check im safe after encountering something which I would call "strange". Like when Google told me my account had been accessed from U.S, and beforehand that email I was told it was in China, I was very confused and had to think about how that was possible. Had they guessed my password or was I just attacked by a phising scam and never realized/wasn't thinking? Or, even worse, a PSW Stealer hooking into my keyboard and sending my keys and the site address (you can inject browsers to get the website etc, if im right some AVs do that for shield protection :D )... I guess that is a question ill never have a answer for...

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I personally think antiviruses are necessary.

Common sense will work against most threats. But sometimes common sense cannot keep up with another human more knowledgeable in computer science than yourself. For example, if you're an "advanced" user with no programming/Windows experience, you'd be pretty doomed if you do not realize you're being DNS-spoofed. Antivirus starts where your common sense fails.

RƎDSPYGENTLEMEN

Level 2
Verified
Aug 14, 2014
If you're an advanced user, the need for an antivirus is low.

If you're a newbie, the need for an antivirus is high.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Hmm i even talk better block than cure.
With system hardering (SRP/LUA off autorun and other risk services, tweeks)
and Firewall/HIPS Sandbox you can get more light system than stand alone av ofc is depend which soft you will use. and complet better security lvl ofc if you will use system and programs with head

Last edited:
Reactions: vrb93

dbz

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2014
I personally think antiviruses are necessary.

Common sense will work against most threats. But sometimes common sense cannot keep up with another human more knowledgeable in computer science than yourself. For example, if you're an "advanced" user with no programming/Windows experience, you'd be pretty doomed if you do not realize you're being DNS-spoofed. Antivirus starts where your common sense fails.

What does DNS-spoofed means?... And how to prevent that?

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
What does DNS-spoofed means?... And how to prevent that?
DNS is an acryonym for Domain Name Server. It converts https://www.google.com to machine-readable address.
DNS spoofing is, @Cowpipe correct me if I am wrong, when malware/hacker tries to "spoof" your DNS into thinking you're being redirected to google.com, while you're actually being redirected to EvilWebsite.com

Reactions: Cowpipe and dbz

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
DNS is an acryonym for Domain Name Server. It converts https://www.google.com to machine-readable address.
DNS spoofing is, @Cowpipe correct me if I am wrong, when malware/hacker tries to "spoof" your DNS into thinking you're being redirected to google.com, while you're actually being redirected to EvilWebsite.com

Correct. A legitimate DNS server will have a table like this:

google.com 142.10.29.92 # Google IP address

Your computer looks up "google.com" and sees that the IP address for Google is 142.10.29.92 and connects you to that site.

In DNS Spoofing, we change the IP address linked to the entry "google.com" to a malicious one, and so whilst your browser thinks your connecting to the google.com official IP address you're actually connecting to the hackers IP.

That's pretty much the simplified version of it :) Exactly as NPE said

I

illumination

Just wondering... Do I really need an antivirus if I have shadow defender (Permanent mode), MBAM premium, NoVirusThanks Driver Radar pro and sandboxie installed ???

Nice set up. Mbam while "anit-Malware" is good enough for this config you have listed, you could probably get by just running On-demand scans with it as long as you continue to use Shadow Defender set to "Enter Shadow Mode on Boot". Having Sandboxie for other applications like your browser, and SD, should keep you pretty well safe..

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I think no!
if you are medium user ,i suggest use a full scan monthly by eset online scanner or another online scanner.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I think no!
if you are medium user ,i suggest use a full scan monthly by eset online scanner or another online scanner.
But antivirus is much more than the old signature based system, which is a part of it.
It has HIPS/BB. It has Firewall. It has in-depth scans. It has everything you can possibly think of, give a try to Emsisoft Internet Security Suit and you'll understand.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I'm going to stand my side on the other post, just a more informative one:

There's a conundrum here that a lot of people have:

- Too much protection is bad
- Not enough protection is bad
-No products offer the exact balance

Another one:

-Without Protection, You Are Vulnerable to Exploits
-Protection Programs are Vulnerable to Exploits

If you are not understanding the second problem, it means that obviously without protection, you are vulnerable to exploits, so you install protection. However, even the protection software can be exploited, so there is a never ending loop to it. Only 2 ways can end this extremely hard problem:

-Developers will stop making Exploits
-Vendors create a non-exploitable product.

Both are near-impossible. So you are not much better with MBAE than you are without... hmm :p

(Note: I am not telling you to ditch your protection. Security Vendors try their best not to get exploited, so they are harder to exploit than your favorite browser. However, more and more developers are targeting security products because many if not everybody use them)

Okay, so if that's bad enough, there's yet another one:

-Without Privacy Protection, you are subject to privacy
infringement
-Privacy Protection doesn't value your privacy very much

As
OpenSecLabs explained, you can't trust an antivirus that much. Many antivirus will send some data to the center, and although its not as bad as getting your passwords stolen, it's still an eerie feeling.

Conclusion: Obviously I am not telling you to not use protection, but more that you shouldn't trust protection as your soul. Remember vendors hire real people with emotions and problems, not perfection-robots that design a seamless product.

Oops, I just see I posted a loooong post, but hopefully this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.