Do the version of driver difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
Like i´m in windows 7 with amd 13.9 If i change to windows 8 the driver version is 13.1 This do some difference in performce when im playing? Ineed to know fast and thank you :):D:rolleyes:

GPU: amd radeon hd 2600 pro
There is the information of driver for windows 8:
Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes for the 64 bit version of Windows 8:
Display Driver ver. 8.97.100.7
OpenCL(tm) Driver 10.0.937.2
Catalyst Control Center 2012.1116.1514.27190
Languages:
Czech, Danish, German, Greek, US English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified)

Last edited:
Reactions: nissimezra
I

illumination

Like i´m in windows 7 with amd 13.9 If i change to windows 8 the driver version is 13.1 This do some difference in performce when im playing? Ineed to know fast and thank you :):D:rolleyes:
Are you looking at this on the manufactures website, and if so, normally there is a date posted next to the driver version for the release date specific to your system and hardware. Most times, you will find, once windows 8 is installed, that driver will be updated along with many others. If you intend to upgrade to windows 8.1 from that point after installing windows 8, you will probably see yet another driver upgrade as well.

Reactions: nissimezra

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
Are you looking at this on the manufactures website, and if so, normally there is a date posted next to the driver version for the release date specific to your system and hardware. Most times, you will find, once windows 8 is installed, that driver will be updated along with many others. If you intend to upgrade to windows 8.1 from that point after installing windows 8, you will probably see yet another driver upgrade as well.
Have a big difference in time. In windows 7 the last update was in 10/15/2013 and windows 8 1/21/2013

I

illumination

Have a big difference in time. In windows 7 the last update was in 10/15/2013 and windows 8 1/21/2013
As stated above, windows 8 has been out for a bit. You are referring to the manufactures website, if the driver does not have a more recent update after installing windows 8, you can always visit AMD's website and manually find any upgrades available to upgrade with.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Avoid headache, stay with 7.
You can run any Windows 7 driver in 8, just choose comparability mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
But why they do driver for windows 8 and for windows 7? Have to be a difference.

Forum atualized. See up

As stated above, windows 8 has been out for a bit. You are referring to the manufactures website, if the driver does not have a more recent update after installing windows 8, you can always visit AMD's website and manually find any upgrades available to upgrade with.
Forum atualized. See up.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some drivers may contain different version due to compatibility issues, therefore its an important that is supported in order to work fully

But in terms of performance it should be same at all.

Windows Update will detect those drivers that needs to be update based on hardware installed on a system.

I

illumination

This is up to you, but if you still want to upgrade to windows 8, you can either follow your manufactures website to install all drivers, or you can do it manually if you know what your hardware is depending on the Brand and Model as stated in the PM I sent you.

WIth AMD, they have a downloadable detection program, that will detect what you are running for you if you do not know, and offer available updates to install, or you can use their menu selection and enter your info of whether on a desktop or laptop, and the GPU, Operating system ect to see what the latest driver version available is.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Manufacture websites are not always kept up to date with latest drivers, especially if the model has been out for some time.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
This is up to you, but if you still want to upgrade to windows 8, you can either follow your manufactures website to install all drivers, or you can do it manually if you know what your hardware is depending on the Brand and Model as stated in the PM I sent you.

WIth AMD, they have a downloadable detection program, that will detect what you are running for you if you do not know, and offer available updates to install, or you can use their menu selection and enter your info of whether on a desktop or laptop, and the GPU, Operating system ect to see what the latest driver version available is.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Manufacture websites are not always kept up to date with latest drivers, especially if the model has been out for some time.
Hi, a 2 week ago i install windows 8 for test and when I went to play, i see a difference in FPS (frames per second) and a little lag than windows 7. I dont know if is a problem with my driver or windows 8 is the problem for my computer!

I

illumination

Hi, a 2 week ago i install windows 8 for test and when I went to play, i see a difference in FPS (frames per second) and a little lag than windows 7. I dont know if is a problem with my driver or windows 8 is the problem for my computer!
Did you apply the driver from the manufacture website, or use AMD's downloadable detection program? The link i provided above you can manually enter your system in the fields and find what latest version is available as well.

You can also use the task manager in windows 8 while game is open and see what resources you are using while playing, like if you have plenty of memory or if the processor is being taxed.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
Did you apply the driver from the manufacture website, or use AMD's downloadable detection program? The link i provided above you can manually enter your system in the fields and find what latest version is available as well.

You can also use the task manager in windows 8 while game is open and see what resources you are using while playing, like if you have plenty of memory or if the processor is being taxed.
Hi, i manually download the driver from the manufacture website, AMD and no problem in windows 7.

I

illumination

Hi, i manually download the driver from the manufacture website, AMD and no problem in windows 7.
You downloaded from AMD's website? When i say manufacture i mean the Brand of computer like Dell, or Sony. The manufacture websites sometimes lag in version releases.

Have you tried tweaking the settings in the AMD Catalyst Control Center. Have you tried adjusting your power settings as well?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Device manufacturers often offer the better performance if you get the most latest driver for specific device. Of course, when new device comes out (for example new released Nvidia GTX970 or 980), first driver can be unstable or not really well optimized, second and third one fixes what has been missed in the first one. All the next releases should offer a better stability or performance but unmeasurable in real world.

So long story short, if your device is older than a year, it should do just fine with a driver that Windows Update offers via it's update service (in situation that your current driver installed with Windows Update is not the latest one compared to one that is released on manufacturers official site)

Reactions: illumination
I

illumination

Device manufacturers often offer the better performance if you get the most latest driver for specific device. Of course, when new device comes out (for example new released Nvidia GTX970 or 980), first driver can be unstable or not really well optimized, second and third one fixes what has been missed in the first one. All the next releases should offer a better stability or performance but unmeasurable in real world.

So long story short, if your device is older than a year, it should do just fine with a driver that Windows Update offers via it's update service (in situation that your current driver installed with Windows Update is not the latest one compared to one that is released on manufacturers official site)
Exactly, he is concerned with performance, it is why i directed him to AMD's website.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
You downloaded from AMD's website? When i say manufacture i mean the Brand of computer like Dell, or Sony. The manufacture websites sometimes lag in version releases.

Have you tried tweaking the settings in the AMD Catalyst Control Center. Have you tried adjusting your power settings as well?
Sorry, error mine. I download form AMD Website, not from manufacture website. But i found a update in Windows Update, look the image:

Sem Título.png

Im Portuguese Sorry. Im translate the second update who say: Atualizacionof estruture of controlers of mode of kernel version 1.11 for windows 7 for sistems in x64

I hop you understand.

I

illumination

Sorry, error mine. I download form AMD Website, not from manufacture website. But i found a update in Windows Update, look the image:

View attachment 34764

Im Portuguese Sorry. Im translate the second update who say: Atualizacionof estruture of controlers of mode of kernel version 1.11 for windows 7 for sistems in x64

I hop you understand.
I am slightly confused, as that shows windows 7 not windows 8

I

illumination

I forget, ... a 2 week ago i install windows 8 but i back to 7
ok, so to get on the same page, the problem seemed only in windows 8 not in windows 7 correct?

The update in question is normal above for windows 7.

I have to apologize here, im trying to follow you, but not understanding what you are asking at this point.

MalwareFire

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
ok, so to get on the same page, the problem seemed only in windows 8 not in windows 7 correct?

The update in question is normal above for windows 7.

I have to apologize here, im trying to follow you, but not understanding what you are asking at this point.
What im asking is im in windows 7 right but i want to upgrade to windows 8 but the problem is driver version which is 13.9 in windows 7 and 13.1 in windows 8. When im playing video games in windows 8, lag is so much than windows 7. And if version of driver do some difference in performance. If doesnt its problem of windows 8 who my pc cant run correctly.

I

illumination

What im asking is im in windows 7 right but i want to upgrade to windows 8 but the problem is driver version which is 13.9 in windows 7 and 13.1 in windows 8. When im playing video games in windows 8, lag is so much than windows 7. And if version of driver do some difference in performance. If doesnt its problem of windows 8 who my pc cant run correctly.
Ok, lets try this. If you want to upgrade to windows 8, go ahead and do so. This time, let windows 8 install all available updates as Bora suggested, it will install the version of AMD's graphics you spoke of, run that version for a bit, if it is not up to the task, then use AMD's website to install latest version, it will offer to uninstall the other version before upgrading. Try tweaking some of the settings in the catalyst control panel, adjust your power settings to performance "if available", and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.