Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In Opera 26*, the new start page is available upon launching a new tab, and clicking in the bottom right corner.

For a comparison here is the old start page, with top navigation buttons.

upload_2014-11-24_17-11-6.png

Switch between new and old start page for Opera web browser.

upload_2014-11-24_17-9-34.png

Opera's New Start Page.

upload_2014-11-24_17-8-51.png

In the New Start page, users can navigate easily using the side-tabbed column. The user can access their Bookmarks and by utilising browser functions they can return to the start page, without closing any tabs or windows, simply by using the Back button.

upload_2014-11-24_17-12-41.png

The Bookmarks already contain a pre-defined list of folders to assist the user to organise any existing or newly imported bookmarks. Imported bookmarks are stored under the 'Imported bookmarks' folder if they previously chose to import any from their other browser. The Bookmarks incorporate an in-built search function to help users find and locate their bookmarked sites.

Adding New folders is a breeze and can be done in less than 2-clicks - if you hit Enter. If you user the mouse or touch-screen, remember to hit the Add button.

upload_2014-11-24_17-28-9.png

There's an intuitive way of adding bookmarks in Opera. Once on the desired website, clicking on the heart-icon displays a drop-down window illustrating the site's favicon icon - which appears somewhat pixelated as it appears to be a stretched image. Favicon icons are unique to every site you visit, they should be anyway.

A site can be bookmarked to a target folder, a newly created folder, or by default left in the Unsorted folder if you're in rush to get your coffee.

upload_2014-11-24_17-18-44.png

Now that you have gotten your much needed coffee, and back at your computer. From the Unsorted Bookmarks folder, the user can Select (if multiple), Edit (Name and URL), Add to Speed Dial or Delete all together.

upload_2014-11-24_17-34-50.png

What do you think of the new Start page in Opera? Remember you can vote in the Poll at the top of this thread. :D

* And possibly earlier versions, since I am a new Opera web browser user.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

As for me, I like to use both of them from time to time, they look good, just like the whole browser :)

Last edited:

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
It's not bad, really.. But I'm a little bit tired of all this tiled thing that's goin' on.
I agree that it's more structured and thus more configurable, but (aesthetically) I think themes look better in the old start page.

Reactions: Prorootect

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
It's not bad, really.. But I'm a little bit tired of all this tiled thing that's goin' on.
I agree that it's more structured and thus more configurable, but (aesthetically) I think themes look better in the old start page.
Luckily, you can switch between both of them anytime, so everyone should be quite happy with it :p

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
In my opinion i think the new start page is a step forward,it seems to be much easier for users to do some tweaking in the browser
and to customize it to their needs;):)
Maybe i will give it a try.
Last time i used it i had problem with flash player:(( chromium based not with presto engine ) but it was a some time ago.
Thanks your informative Huracan:)

Reactions: Ali80 and YuanJiawj

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
Hello.

My vote : No, I prefer the old one.

Why ?
For a simple reason : to irritate Tailhey.

No, I joke. ;)

I dislike the new design because, when i do a drag and drop on a favorite, into a folder, the name of any folder is hidden.
With old design, I see the name of all folders.

Yes, i prefer to see the name of folders, no mistakes done.

Sorry for my very bad english. :D

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello.

My vote : No, I prefer the old one.

Why ?
For a simple reason : to irritate Tailhey.

No, I joke. ;)

I dislike the new design because, when i do a drag and drop on a favorite, into a folder, the name of any folder is hidden.
With old design, I see the name of all folders.

Yes, i prefer to see the name of folders, no mistakes done.

Sorry for my very bad english. :D

It's cool that you've made your voice heard, even if it's not for something very useful lol

Indeed, "the name of any folder is hidden"... As long as you don't hover them with your mouse ;)

Yes, you can be sorry for your English (although mine isn't perfect) :p

Šovelén

Level 3
Verified
Mar 29, 2014
No, but as a realist, i know old times will not come back...
Progress and "progress" is inevitable.

(I'd appreciate more development v.12.17, but... :( )

Last edited:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Opera is dead, it's user base is so small that I'm impressed that they still pay the web hosting. When it was presto based, it had a lot of unique features, and a lot of settings. Now is another chrome, with less to offer.

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
Hey.

Indeed, "the name of any folder is hidden"... As long as you don't hover them with your mouse ;)
I want see their name, when i drag and drog too.

My folders are classed by Category, by using a specific title. It allow me to see at any time, their name.

Thanks taihey for you post.

It's amazing this topic... :rolleyes:

It's a survey on the new design of the startpage, and Some members seem to be off-topic here.

Please, respect to the author, Try to not be off-topic. : thanks a lot. ;)

Best regards,
Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
When it had Presto engine it froze up alot.
It did freeze some times, but at that time it happened to me in all major browsers. Sadly, freezing up a bit has nothing to do here, Opera is a joke on nowadays, a couple of days ago their forums were full of random spamm, not even a single moderator in 3 days lmao. In the other hand, barely 2% uses opera worldwide, have a sit. Firefox is playing the "Step by Step I wanna be opera dead" game, just watch them fail as Opera did.

Reactions: Šovelén

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
This old version "presto" had many features, i was slow but with many features usefull.
The new version is a little useless just a another clone of chorme.
The unique feature which is usefull is the speed dial.

Reactions: Malware1

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
This old version "presto" had many features, i was slow but with many features usefull.
The new version is a little useless just a another clone of chorme.
The unique feature which is usefull is the speed dial.
You can get a speed dial as an extension in most gecko based browser lol. MAxthon does have a built-in one.
A clone of chrome sounds 2 good, I'll just call it an uncompleted clone

Reactions: Šovelén

Šovelén

Level 3
Verified
Mar 29, 2014
Opera is dead, it's user base is so small that I'm impressed that they still pay the web hosting. When it was presto based, it had a lot of unique features, and a lot of settings. Now is another chrome, with less to offer.

I do not like your answers friend...
You stab dagger into the heart of old man - old man remembers the old times. :(

Although i'm giving the likes reluctantly - iI'll give it them because you have the truth...
And let me take the devil in the day when i prefer my hypocrisy from the truth. :)

Sorry for the translation of (mostly) Uncle Google. Czech language loves "deployed sentences" that my brain does not fold...and Google does not help much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.