Do you use the Browser Add-ons that come with your Antivirus?

Do you use Browser add-ons by your Antivirus software?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Antivirus and Internet Security suites nowadays include their own web browser extensions, usually installed automatically or given user choice. These may include any of the following;

Malicious website blocking, Anti-Phishing protection, Typo-squatting protection, Password management, Ad-Banner blocking, Anti-Tracking protection and more.

POLL: Do you use the extensions that are installed into your default (if supported) web browser? Or do you disable / uninstall them?

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I am using Bitdefender TS. It has two browser plugins:
  1. Bitdefender Wallet. I allowed this plugin to be installed, only because its icon has a nice looking. I disabled it because I am not used to managing password with softwares...
  2. Bitdefender Toolbar. I enabled this add-on, because I like its feature that can sandbox the current webpage. Sadly, Bitdefender has removed this toolbar from the latest version (2016).

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
I like the addons comes with AV's but some of them are really annoying or heavy on resources or just slows down he browsing like norton identity safe if u don't make an account in norton identity safe then it will continuously ask you to make account on every website you open and other example is mcafee live safe that is heavy on resources and slows down the browsing

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
POLL: Do you use the extensions that are installed into your default (if supported) web browser? Or do you disable / uninstall them?

I like things light, and don't use a program unless I really want or need. I have nothing against those extras. Avast has some nice extras but I didn't want to install.

MY VOTE: DISABLE

I like CCleaner and Wise Care to remove the junk files, privacy risks and tracking cookies.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
It's important if the AV software interacts with its browser extension compliment. Qihoo's does: if you go to a shopping or banking site, it scans memory for any questionable processes.

Yes, it works. I removed YNAB from the trusted list while it was running and when I'd gone to a banking site, it scanned memory and brought the unknown process to my attention. Spiffy.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I like to choose my extensions rather than the other way around; and just don't like when add-ons attempt to install themselves.:mad: There are times we're silently encouraged to feel obligated to use unecessary features which appeal to the fanboy/or -girl in each of us.:p
I voted "No" for this reason, but do remain open, however, as with Avast! there is a Online Security reputation add on I have used on occasion though it remained disabled for the most part before I'd removed it along with Firefox which (I suppose) is also, in a sense, disabled for the present!:D. Their so called "safezone" Chromium Browser that provides sandboxed browsing provides what I already have, and so I do not consider this an essential feature.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well currently not, I will choose based on my preferences and the risk level conducted.

However for me still an opt in feature because its part of the product; well even though WebShield is already in action, but for better confidence a site reputation is fine.

Yes privacy will be an issue but again no one interest to gather information except if you're in the big company. ;) Let's be practical cause through the years no one reported any misalign cases + in my observation and encounter; no one complain or suffer issues.

;)

sonylxn

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
i use avg IS for half a year now. as i remember when first installed it, it didn't offer any avg toolbar and it didn't have any addition to IE extensions, and surf-shield still works great to this time.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
L

LabZero

Currently using FSecure IS and I allowed the installation of Web Protection add-on in Internet Explorer and Firefox.

All Google results are filtered and harmful sites are blocked; considered that this extension works well, I use it.

However, we need to have the ability to recognize false positives.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I don't use these browser add-ons from my AV because i have an old laptop and most of the time these add-ons are slowing down
my browser so i prefer not to install them.
Now if i can't uncheck them on installation i disable them.
Just to be clear i am talking only for add-ons and toolbars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.