• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
None I can see any problem, permissions are prior match to access the download section and clipboard which primarily normal.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
What about the permissions for copy & paste file, manage extensions & themes, read & change visited website data?

Does software from github means safe?
The software & developer is from github.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I read some reviews on Chrome page, quite a few have mentioned it adds affiliate code to amazon.com urls.
Whats that & anything to worry?

helicoptervulkan

Jul 17, 2015
Have had this installed for a few months now. Just noticed today that this POS Download Manager extension was redirecting Amazon links to ones with the affiliate code webtoolsandtec-21.

Fortunately I was able to disable and re-enable my countless extensions alphabetically until I detected the culprit.

Surprisingly, I stumbled onto this thread only after searching the extension's Chrome store URL [which I could access because it was still an active and enabled extension on Chrome still even though it's now been pulled ಠ_ಠ].

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/daoidaoebhfcgccdpgjjcbdginkofmfe

I read some reviews on Chrome page, quite a few have mentioned it adds affiliate code to amazon.com urls.
Whats that & anything to worry?
Amazon gives a commission [from like 2%-15%] for stuff which you buy on the site after you've visited it via an affiliate link -- which online deals stores, tech blogs, YouTubers etc use everywhere for extra dough which can be quite a significant source of revenue.

I use a website which gives me [the customer] most of the commission Amazon gives them when I shop on Amazon using their referral code; they take a very small cut.

I must have spent about $50 on Amazon & lost a few dollars of cashback thanks to this fraud.

This asshole dev must have made a killing.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I had removed the extension within 3 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.