Not open for further replies.

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hi All,

I was a Big fan of Emsisoft. I got few major problems with Emsisoft IS.

1. After installing Emsisoft IS my internet connection was not working. I had to disable and enable firewall to get access to network. I was on with that.
2. yesterday full day I was not able to work because I was getting constant pop-up from emsisoft IS. Even if I am clicking allow or block the same pop-up was not going away. I had to uninstall it with no choice.

Now irritated by Emsisoft IS I though of trying ESET Antivirus Pro. I installed it. My system was working good.
But after 2 hours I noticed that my Outlook 2010 is not updating the inbox anymore. I disabled mail checking in ESET. Still no use. Finally today also when I face the same problem ( mailbox not updated since 24 hours), I had to uninstall it. Now everything working fine.

So in my Windows 8.1 system right now I have Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Everything working great but not sure how much protected I am. But anyway as I don't surf unknown site and I am cautious about my click, I think I am good as of now. But really irritated at Emsisoft IS and ESET now.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
am evaluating emsi IS too the only problem so far is that it eats memory like a "cookie monster" besides that no problems... i know EIS may cause some BSOD but at least for me is ok... and for ESET emm this is an outstanding product in your case, if i were you i would open the ports used to receive emails and exclude outlook from the filter list. windows defender for me is useless as it miss A LOT OF wild spread threats (even after submission) and at least for me ( and for others users) it eats a lot of CPU so.. avoid using it... and wel windows firewall tweaked in the good way can rock.

PST: some times letting the ESET firewall in learning mode is enough to solve any connectivity issue

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Anupam-> add wot to your addon list. WinDefender will do fine, well you've Herdprotect which scans your file with 68 Engines.
I use MSE & MBAM Free edition and no infection till date. If you suspect infection try running Kasperky Virus Removal Tool.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
360 not good(false positives)
avg( ...)
avast( yeah good choice)
i do't see any bug from eset (but emsisoft yeah i see) , contact their support.if you want change them,
another idea use kaspersky or avira :D
avira has good detection, fast, nice, and great support.
kaspersky is paid but great.

Mod Edit.

i suggest u !
1-kaspersky
2-avira
3-avast

Last edited by a moderator:

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
contact the support service Eset and Emsisoft :)
they certainly have the answers and solutions to your problems :)

I already reported few bugs to Emsisoft. Not going to again contact support. Need peaceful software. Emsisoft Antimalware was good. Emsisoft IS is not mature yet.

Reactions: tonibalas
S

Sr. Normal

With a micro i-5 + 8 Gb RAM I would go to Qihoo TS.

Your configuration is similar to mine and that I have this av. It has 5 engines, including Avira and Bitdefender , with your hardware is not going to slow down your computer , and yes it has some false positives , few, but is there any perfect antivirus ?, well do not be bothering with advertising.

My advice is try with Windows firewall, as it comes with HIPS and Sandbox.

http://i.imgur.com/vUFymgW.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
With a micro i-5 + 8 Gb RAM I would go to Qihoo TS.

Your configuration is similar to mine and that I have esta av. It has 5 engines, including Avira and Bitdefender , with your hardware is not going to slow down your computer , and yes it has some false positives , few, but is there any perfect antivirus ?, well do not be bothering with advertising.

My advice is try with Windows firewall, as it comes with HIPS and Sandbox.

http://i.imgur.com/vUFymgW.png

Thank you you made my choice clear. I am not bothered about little bit false positive ;). I used Qihoo TS it never detected any of my program as FP. I use very limited softwares and mostly well known softwares.

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Why?
You are entitled to get support if you have a license :)

I know. And their support is good too. But I hate facing problems and writing to them each time and get reply after 24 hours.

For example the pop-up problem I faced, I was not able to play Multiplayer Online Games with my Friends on long weekend. Which made me pretty furious as I started getting them in between a multiplayer clan match :mad::mad::mad:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
considering you have UAC, Windows Defender is enough + windows firewall.
Alternative, you can go FortiClient which is free, as well as avast or even avg.

I checked ESET AV and have not been able to recreate the issue you had with your email, nor could I find any reported issue like yours on ESET forums. Have you checked the settings? Perhaps disabling the email protection until you report the issue to ESET.

Reactions: Anupam

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Haven't had an issue with either ESET or Emsisoft.

If you're looking for a free alternative besides Windows Defender, then Avast would be good.
A lot people say its hardened mode is good.

Reactions: Anupam

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I f you want a free software i want to suggest Comodo.
Before winning Emsisoft in MT giveaway i was using Comodo AV and was very happy with it.
Comodo is light on RAM usage it's using 10-20 MB of RAM with 4 processes.
If you leave on default settings you will see that is very light but with yours pc specs you can tweak the settings for max protection,you won't notice any slowdowns and you won't get infected.
In my opinion you should give it a try;)
I hope i have helped:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Add Sandboxie, I use it mostly for trying software but you can use it more often. And Unchecky to catch the odd PUP. Use Process Explorer as it has VT integration, but for most cases, you will be malware-free with using Windows Defender and UAC.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This case, a pretty close inspection of a firewall feature when installed (3rd party) since sometimes default rules (differ from WF) are already taken over that may cause issues on some program may not work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.