Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi everyone:

I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 installed but it keeps stopping and shutting down, so I'm looking for a new security suite. I like the look of Emsisoft Internet Security and wonder if it's any good?

Tony :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Van2r

Level 1
Verified
Oct 14, 2013
not shocked from your problem anyway.
It depends on your needs but if you want a strong product yes emsisoft is good choice.
It have lower impact on resources better and fast performance on scanning removal ....
about firewall im not very interested on emsisoft firewall i think online armor still is stronger but impact is crazy... but i dont think you want Emsisoft AM suite with other company firewall,anyway its better than KIS 2015 dont worry youre doing right!

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
When it start stopping and shutting down?? After latest Windows Update or?? Do you have other security software installed?? Look into Event Viewer to see what kind of error you dealing with? Do you use Registry Cleaners?? If you do not want to bother with such things feel free to install Emsi as it's good :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi Tony, your query is a good one as well as applicable to my own upcoming decisions. Emsisoft may very well be the next Antivirus we install on our Windows 7 SP 1, though I'd prefer it for our 8.1, it would most likely be assigned the duties of guarding my wife's lap top as her ESET shall expire first!.:)
I have always heard very pleased and confidence inspiring impressions of Emsisoft products, particularly their Internet Security 8, though version 9 is now available.

That said, I remember reading about a specific problem with their version 9 on one of our threads which sounded quite similar to your own.
Here it is: http://malwaretips.com/threads/emsisoft-internet-security-9-bsod.37130/#post-298603

My personal opinion is that you try it for a trial period which will allow you to go where you've yet to go, ...before making your final decision, :D as so shall I.;):)

Last edited:

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Yep. Kaspersky does it often. They started to make too complex products that do not respect the Windows own routines. That is source of problem. For example Eset Nod 32 is designed from begining in cooperation with Microsoft. The result is very stable product ;) Product without annoying toolbars, add-ons, etc. So yes, i would change Kaspersky for Emsi :)

R

rkkdjb

Hi everyone:

I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 installed but it keeps stopping and shutting down, so I'm looking for a new security suite. I like the look of Emsisoft Internet Security and wonder if it's any good?

Tony :)
what do u mean by when u say "stopping and shutting down", can u explain ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Things to try:
  • Check that you have the latest version of Kaspersky, including any new builds.
  • Restart Windows 8.1, you can check how long Windows has been running from the Task Manager. This should iron-out any programs that need to make changes, the standard Windows 8 shutdown does not do a complete recycle of the OS.
  • What Security, Backup or Other software do you have running in the background (ie. real-time)?
Emsisoft Internet Security - http://www.emsisoft.co.uk/en/software/internetsecurity/

"Emsisoft Internet Security is a complete security suite that provides protection against all manner of threats lurking on the Internet. Two full virus scanning engines are used to ensure optimal detection and cleaning, while three-layered, real-time protection prevents new malware from infecting your PC. Firewall included." - See more at: http://blog.emsisoft.com/2012/04/04/tec120404/

And you say Emsisoft doesn't offer a lot? What features are you exactly looking for?
If you're looking for that extra edge, download and install Sandboxie Free version to test any software, isolate your web browser or File Explorer when inserting an unknown USB device.

Exploit Prevention?
How about keeping all applications up to date, or if you're still unsure, run them isolated (as suggested above).

Rollback?
Keep multiple copies of your data, on external mediums or in the cloud. Create a system backup image or disk images with any free or built-in tools.

You can even go the extra mile and create custom recovery images (Guide by HTG)
http://www.howtogeek.com/167831/eve...reating-custom-recovery-images-for-windows-8/

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you Cats-4_Owners-2.

I do not use any registry cleaners, it's a new laptop with Windows 8.1 update 2, 32GB of RAM so not sure why, but Kaspersky is starting to annoy me.

It just seems to me Emsisoft does not offer a lot of features, but that may mean nothing if it's protection is excellent?

I had a similar sense (specifically with ESET NOD 32) yet it's popularity with our fellow members here, very much like Emsisoft, weighs in a great deal in my own decisions. We have been happy with ESET.
..and as Ali80 and jamescv7 each have mentioned, compatibility with Windows 8.1 as well as our recent updates can have a noticeable effect on behavior.
*I just can't type fast enough!:oops::rolleyes: (as I read latest posts by Huracan & jerzy601!:p)

Reactions: Ali80
I

illumination

If KIS is stopping and shutting down, i would figure out the cause of the problem before uninstalling and replacing it with something else to make sure the problem does not carry over.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree with @illumination.If you can pinpoint when this problem started then you might be able to pinpoint if there is a problem with something else.I am running KIS 2015 on Windows 8.1.1 and have no problem at all. Have you tried uninstalling KIS and reinstalling it? Just when asked on uninstall do not untick the save options ticked by default.This will keep your license information when you reinstall the program.If you wanted to try EIS and then go back to KIS this information will be saved.
I also use EIS 9 on Windows 7SP1.The new version 9 which is now an all-in-one suite performs very well,much better than when EAM & OA had to be installed separately to make EIS. As far as features KIS does have a lot more however most will never use all of these features and personally for me the protection provided is the most important aspect.Of course system impact also plays a part in your decision.@Huracan also made a great point that SBIE is free and a great program to have in your security configuration.Bottom line both provide excellent protection.

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thank you everyone for your replies/info. I'm going to give Emsisoft a shot and see if I like it.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.