Epic Conversation with Microsoft Support: Windows 10 User Accused of “Tricking” Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
“You contacted Microsoft support, it was the first mistake”
Back in 2014, when Satya Nadella took over from Steve Ballmer and became the new Microsoft CEO, he promised to revamp the software giant from the ground up, and just by having a look at the things he’s changed in the last 12 months, it’s pretty clear that the software giant has a new vision (we’re not saying that it’s good or bad, it’s just a new vision).

But there’s one small side of the business that Nadella actually forgot to look into: Microsoft support.

The service that should be there when you need help and that should actually get you in touch with professionals working for Microsoft and having much more experience than you is going from bad to worse. And it’s no secret that, every time you contact Microsoft support, you’re actually connected to an individual who’s either not trained to help you or who puts a thousand questions for the simplest possible thing.

But this time, we’ve got an example that is as funny as it is sad. Reddit user Mercarcher has revealed a conversation with a Microsoft support engineer that he had when trying to get help with Windows 10.

Here’s some context on this to make sure you read the conversation (which we provide in detail at the end of the article using the screenshots published online by Mercarcher himself).

Common problem, unexpected answer
The reddit user jumped from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using the standard upgrade path to benefit from the free offer, but soon after that, he decided to replace his HDD with an SSD. Everything worked smoothly, but once he performed a clean install on his new SSD, Windows 10 failed to activate.

Microsoft says that, in order to do a clean install and activate successfully, you first have to complete the upgrade from a previous Windows version to Windows 10 so that the new OS can verify your product key and activate. After that, you can reinstall as many times as you wish.

But in case you change your hardware (the license is usually tied to the motherboard, but replacing the HDD could also mess the activation), reactivation might be required, so getting in touch with Microsoft support is needed. Usually, all it takes is using an automated call system that verifies you, but this time, the Windows 10 user had to talk to a real person.

And you know what he did? He tricked Microsoft and he might get his Windows 10 license banned. Just as one commenter said, “you contacted Microsoft support, that was the first mistake.”

Good God, Microsoft, why is this still happening?

The conversation is priceless,see the conversation screenshots in the quoted text.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
"Hardware issue is not Windows issue"
Is he serious?:confused:
Seems to me that if your Windows product deactivates due to changing hardware, it is indeed an issue.

Reactions: Kuttz

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
You see, people defend Microsoft tracking voice and keyboard to "Improve service" And then you get this service, people is flying high IMO. Improve a service spying you, what about, Improving a service with quality support?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
That's what you get from outsourcing and Microsoft ain't alone...

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

And there you have it ... Microsoft Windows Support.

Microsoft only supports a few ways to install Windows; if user does something outside of what is supported then they are beat - they got nothing !

cLcL

Level 1
Verified
Jan 6, 2015
hahaha.. poor guy. well, afaik, the customer shouldn't put any serial number when installing windows 10 in new harddrive. leave it blank then connect with his microsoft account. afaik (again) only change the motherboard needs new serial number.

but yea, the support guy is terrible. :)

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Instead of the customer keep saying "I have the extracted Windows10 key". He could have said his problem more clearly by saying that:

I already did the standard upgrade procedure and activated Windows 10 and now after upgrading the HDD to SSD I lost my Windows 10 activation and ask MS what should I do than keep repeating he extracted Windows 10 key using an app. He could have stated his original Window 8.1 key instead of keep saying he has the extracted windows 10 key. MS could have confused him as a fake Windows 10 user who try to make his Windows 10 OS as genuine. There is communication problems between them.

From what I know so far, as long as customers original Windows 8.1 OS is not an OEM, Microsoft has the obligation to make customers Windows 10 activated even after hardware upgrades. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd

cLcL

Level 1
Verified
Jan 6, 2015
There is communication problems between them.

From what I know so far, as long as customers original Windows 8.1 OS is not an OEM, Microsoft has the obligation to make customers Windows 10 activated even after hardware upgrades. Correct me if I am wrong.
yep bad communication. the customer shares some of the fault. considering he changed the harddrive and install windows by himself, he is not so newbie in these kinda thing. so he should know what to do when installing windows to new harddrive.

even oem got updated to windows 10 for free (eg: laptops that have win8/8.1 pre-installed). after the update is done, connect the internet to get activated, then you can re-install anytime you want in same laptop (without put any serial keys when installing then connect the internet after installation is done). only the changing the motherboard wont get you activated (afaik, cause the keys consists of HWID of the motherboard, and maybe change the motherboard means new PC), the rest of the hardware (supposedly) wont matter. if you change the mobo, contact the microsoft supports and tell them what happened (without un-necessary details, just say you change the mobo cause of something). i think it's pretty basic and anyone that can install Windows 10 (not update) by themself should have this knowledge.

Reactions: Andytay70

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Misinterpretation, that's the one thing happened.

1) Since the user mentioned extracted the license key, therefore any logic situation will be considered as invalid license key per policy where Microsoft knows only that license should be genuine by purchased or from free update.

2) The user should clarify clearly the details to be send for the support, however Microsoft didn't get the point on the customer problems.

Moral Lesson: Make a straightforward statement to ensure the expectation that Microsoft's response should suppose to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.