H

hjlbx

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Unable to create process dump using ProcDump due to "Access is denied."
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Tried Admin powershell; same result.
Hello,

During an Emsisoft Internet Security app hang (forced for testing) I attempt to create full mem dumps for both a2guard and a2service.

I am logged-on as user with admin privileges (whoami confirms), open an administrator command prompt and then run from procdump directory:

procdump.exe -ma a2guard

procdump.exe -ma a2service

I've also tried the -64 switch.

In each case, CLI returns: "Error 5: 0x00000005 Access is denied."

Any suggestions?

Use psexec.exe to raise CLI to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM ?

Thanks.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
In your case, you could use Process Explorer to create the mentioned dumps.

Hello vivid,

You are absolutely correct.

However, from what I understand, that type of dump contains a lot of "noise."

The -ma dump contains only threads and handles.

I'm waiting for a reply from Emsisoft as to whether or not they can use the type of dump you suggest.

Upvote 0

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
The -ma dump contains only threads and handles.

procdump <process name or service name or PID> implies simple dump with thread and handle only
procdump -ma <process name or service name or PID> implies full dump with all process memory

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.