Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
IT security vendor launches ESET Online Scanner for Facebook to protect all Facebook users against malware.
ESET®, the global leader in proactive digital protection, joins Facebook’s anti-malware initiative and offers ESET Online Scanner for all Facebook users for free. ESET’s solution will help users to scan and identify malware that was posted to their Facebook account after logging onto an infected computer and safely remove it. ESET Online Scanner for Facebook is going live today and will be available for all Facebook users.

“Our goal is to offer our users the right technology to improve their experience of our services and better protect their devices. ESET Online Scanner for Facebook will significantly decrease the number of malicious links from among the trillions of clicks that take place every day on Facebook,” said Chetan Gowda, Software engineer at Facebook.

ESET Online Scanner for Facebook was designed to detect and clean infected computers of Facebook users.

“ESET is pleased to offer its services to Facebook users all over the world. Signature low system footprint and ESET’s top rated detection technology used in ESET Online Scanner guarantee effective and easy detection for free,” said Ignacio Sbampato, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer at ESET.

When a Facebook user logs into their account, Facebook checks for signs of any suspicious behavior – like sending spam messages or infected links to people’s friends. If this kind of activity is detected, Facebook displays a message offering the user a chance to use ESET Online Scanner for Facebook – utilized directly within Facebook without a fee or interruption.

If users download and run the scanner, they can continue to use Facebook and other services on their device without any loss of performance. When the scan is complete, they will receive a notification through Facebook and also be able to review the results of the scan. Cleanup begins after the scan is complete if any malware is discovered. In the end, the user is provided with the result and link to www.eset.com.

This service for Facebook is based on free product ESET Online Scanner, which protects millions of users online. Out of more than 44 million of scans, ESET Online Scanner successfully detected malware in almost half of all of instances.
Source

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Glad to see other vendors getting on this. Trend already has this....

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
The Zero day protection is good but it can be improved, the smart mode is good but if you want a excellent zero day protection, manually mode is better (only for advanced user) and it's a little problem :/
And there is a lot of product with a better zero-day protection :)
But Eset has the best detection of the world i think ^^

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
they may what to work their zero day protection before doing this

Excuse me but the Online Scanner is about scanning, it has nothing to do with zero-day protection in terms of behavior blocking or reputation / fingerprinting. This is about finding threats after the fact or to check if the system is still clean. Signatures are what's important here and in this area ESET excels. Maybe you should work on understanding what the article is actually about before you spin up your broken record condescending mantra once again.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Excuse me but the Online Scanner is about scanning, it has nothing to do with zero-day protection in terms of behavior blocking or reputation / fingerprinting. This is about finding threats after the fact or to check if the system is still clean. Signatures are what's important here and in this area ESET excels. Maybe you should work on understanding what the article is actually about before you spin up your broken record condescending mantra once again.
no one can keep up with malware anymore and Signatures can be a hit or miss.the reason why i point their zero day protection is because in a few reviews it let things into system 32 and other important windows folder and files while its zero day protection was an asleep

D

Deleted member 21043

no one can keep up with malware anymore and Signatures can be a hit or miss.the reason why i point their zero day protection is because in a few reviews it let things into system 32 and other important windows folder and files while its zero day protection was an asleep
That isn't related to what this article is about. @FleischmannTV has already told you this.

no one can keep up with malware anymore and Signatures can be a hit or miss
Really? As far as I'm concerned, ESET is acing detection through the signatures. I almost always see them either top or second when it comes to the detection/s. Also, check the Malware Hub. Chances are you will see them with at least 80 - 100% almost all the time. While, other vendors will be behind at maybe 50 - 80% detection.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Please enlighten me, how is ESET going to protect Facebook accounts with Behavior Blocker or a Firewall? Detection is everything. You don't understand ; its antivirus is not going to be in file systems of Facebook's servers, but it is rather going for the accounts. No, they cannot program BB or Firewalls for FB.

Reactions: Malware1

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
As far as I understand it this is neither about protecting the Facebook account. It is the well known ESET Online Scanner, just as a Facebook app. It scans your computer just like the Online Scanner. So for people who are already using the Online Scanner this offers nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.