Battle ESET Nod32 Antivirus 7 VS Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surtur

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 11, 2013
Damn that's a hard decision because I like both.
smilie_frech_002.gif
I vote for Emsisoft at the moment.

Reactions: kaskuser

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
That's really hard.. I'll take it step by step:

Resource Usage: ESET
Real World System Impact: ESET
User Friendliness: Emsisoft
User Interface: Emsisosft
Level of Protection: ESET for detection - Emsi for BB

Overall Winner: ... ESET, I guess.. (Both, are great choices, though)

Last edited:

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
  • Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM):

ESET, but it shouldn't matter if RAM is available and not needed elsewhere.

• Real World System Impact:

ESET, though EAM can be set to scan on execution only. ESET can be set this way as well, though I don't recommend it because it could mess with Live Grid. Live Grid is out of the picture on execution if I recall correctly.

• User Friendliness:

Close match, slight advantage for ESET imho, because signature detection is more user friendly than BB alerts

• User Interface:

I like both

• Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker):

ESET has the best signatures in the industry, period, though EAM is close behind. Both have a strong stand against PUPs, a must-have imho. Emsisoft has better zero-day protection. None have a firewall, though EAM's behavior blocker will probably detect and block dial-home activities in the early stages of an infection attempt and disrupt it the same way most firewall components of AVs do today. My vote goes for EAM. ESET has a hips though, but it's useless at default.

• Overall Winner:

I would choose EAM if I were to rely on detection for protection because of its behavior blocker.

dowN1

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 11, 2014
wow. this is really hard to choose. That's why I have them both installed (PC/laptop) :D
As OneDay said, eset is definitely better in detection (PUP especially)..but on the other side who can compete with emsisoft's BB?
I think eset is lighter on windows startup; in idle state emsisoft is much lighter..so again thought decision

almost forgot - I have Online armor installed with both products.

My vote goes to ESS/NOD32 (with OA installed). Otherwise, EAM/EIS

kaskuser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
That's really hard.. I'll take it step by step:

Resource Usage: ESET
Real World System Impact: ESET
User Friendliness: Emsisoft
User Interface: Emsisosft
Level of Protection: ESET for detection - Emsi for BB

Overall Winner: ... ESET, I guess.. (Both, are great choices, though)
Eset is better of protection :D

kaskuser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
  • Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM):

ESET, but it shouldn't matter if RAM is available and not needed elsewhere.

• Real World System Impact:

ESET, though EAM can be set to scan on execution only. ESET can be set this way as well, though I don't recommend it because it could mess with Live Grid. Live Grid is out of the picture on execution if I recall correctly.

• User Friendliness:

Close match, slight advantage for ESET imho, because signature detection is more user friendly than BB alerts

• User Interface:

I like both

• Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker):

ESET has the best signatures in the industry, period, though EAM is close behind. Both have a strong stand against PUPs, a must-have imho. Emsisoft has better zero-day protection. None have a firewall, though EAM's behavior blocker will probably detect and block dial-home activities in the early stages of an infection attempt and disrupt it the same way most firewall components of AVs do today. My vote goes for EAM. ESET has a hips though, but it's useless at default.

• Overall Winner:

I would choose EAM if I were to rely on detection for protection because of its behavior blocker.
behavior blocker EAM is better :rolleyes:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Technically speaking, EAM is designed to be a companion AV. You can install it alongside eset if you want. However, do note that emsisoft is a little heavy on resources, so if you run both, your computer's performance can be significantly hit. If you like emsisoft's behaviour blocker only, you can disable file guard and surf guard as per recommendations of the emsisoft website:
Can I also use Emsisoft Anti-Malware as a behavior blocker only?
Yes.
It is possible to configure Emsisoft Anti-Malware with a few clicks to disable the File Guard and Surf Protection. Both programs would thus behave in almost the same way. However, in order to ensure the best real-time protection possible, we advise against doing so.

Surtur

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 11, 2013
@Surtur you like emsisoft ? why you used eset ?

FleischmannTV describes exactly the same thing I think. The behavior blocker of Emsisoft is better in my opinion. Don't fret ! I have 3 machines and on one of those is running ESS 8 Beta very well. And that's why I wrote that I like both. Anyway both offer excellent protection against all types of threats.:)

Reactions: dowN1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.