Verified
Apr 26, 2015
Hi,
The main aspect is the high level of protection and user friendliness

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SillyBilly299
H

hjlbx

BD might work on your specific system. Lots of users cannot get it to work. You have to try it first before committing to it.

Better choice is between NOD32 and EAM.

EAM is clear choice - it has HIPS-like Behavior Blocker and Surf Protection. Most reliable option for any W8.1 system - essentially bug-free.

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I can't say anything about BD Antivirus Plus since i haven't tried it ( although i am looking for a license).
One thing i can say for BD in general is that they have improved lately in the system performance section.
I mean that the latest versions of BD are lighter on system resources.

About Eset i have to say that is very light on system, it has great detection
but you have to play with HIPS settings to have better protection.
Another plus of Eset is that it has zero impact on boot and shut down time;) on my system.
Overall Eset is a great software:).

Emsisoft also has very good detection and it also has a Behavioral Blocker which is very useful when signatures missed a malware.
Emsisoft 10 has improved a lot on system performance and from my experience is very light on system, the same as Eset:).
Another plus for Emsisoft is -that if you are running a low memory pc 1 or 2 GB of RAM- it uses less RAM than Eset about 20-30 MB.
Emsisoft uses more RAM when it's updating and while scanning the system.
Emsisoft is a set and forget software;).

I hope i have helped:).
Voted Emsisoft

P.S: the best software for me would be Eset with Emsisoft Behavioral Blocker:p:D

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
my Vote is for Emsisoft.

I tried both. I had issues with ESET, specially with it's Mail Protection. It made my outlook almost dead.

Later I tried Emsisoft. It's near to perfect product.

1. High Protection
2. Surf Protection at domain level. So does not matter which software is trying to connect to Internet, it will detect it all. ( You can try checking it. Ping one malware domain from command prompt. it will block it)
3. According to may test labs, Emsisoft collects least user data. So Privacy wise it's the best.
4. Have two engines.
5. Support team is very responsive and they are very proactive to fix the bugs.

I

illumination

The problem with this type of thread is... You are going to receive peoples personal opinions based on the hardware they are running, their knowledge of the product "which may vary", and their uses of the machine they have it on.

It is better to utilize the 14/15/30 day trials of these products and test them out on your system, to determine which would work best for you,your machine and uses.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
By the way i didn't know that Norton has a roll back feature:eek::)

Here "system roll back" refers to an interesting feature of the Proactive-Defense/Behavior-Blocker module of Norton (Sonar).
As far as I know, when sonar detects a running threat, it will not only terminate it, but also try to "revert" every action of the malware.
Certainly, not all action could be reverted. For example, if a malware encrypted a user document with RSA algorithm, then reverting the encryption action will be computationally unfeasible. Of course, sonar may have blocked this malware before it encrypts anything, but that will be another topic.

It is my understanding that the rolling back function of Sonar is different from the repairing function of the antivirus engine.
The latter one could also revert some changes made by malwares to the system files, but it usually depends on the repair routine written into the library.
In such case, it could only deal with the malwares that are known and analysed in advance.
By contrast, the rolling back function will track the behavior of malwares in the real time, therefore it could deal with unknown threats.

To the best of my knowledge, some other antivirus products also have the feature of rolling back, such as GData.
But Norton(Sonar) might be the best of them (in terms of rolling back, here we only discuss rolling back), at least the most famous of them (still, we only discuss rolling back).

Sadly, the Proactive-Defense module of Bitdefender, Active Virus Control, does not have this feature.
It could block and terminate malwares in time, but it will not try to roll back.
In my own opinion, "active virus control" may be the best in detecting and blocking unknown threats, which has been verified by both av-comparative's tests and fan's double-clicking-malware tests. So I guess it could become "perfect" if it has the rolling back capability of Sonar(Norton).:D

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
BitDefender slows the Internet otherwise I would have choose it first. So my choice goes to ESET NOD32, Emsisoft is good too.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Using eset since a long time no issues so far (Eset smart security 8), Had tried emsisoft but in comparison to eset it EM was consuming more power.

userone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2015
at the moment we know that both programs offer similar level of protection but definitely big difference is the price. I need protection on two computers and find advantage in the EAM 10 because in my country NOD32 two station costs 65 euros and eam 10 costs 30 euros

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since the OP mentioned for:

User friendliness

Verdict: Emsisoft got the best interface with ease, since the purpose is to navigate without any problems and confusion.

Protection:

This makes it totally debatable, so highly suggest to sum all the information content here as test are varies due to limited samples.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Running Bitdefender TS 2015 now, never lost so much as a kb of download speed.
If I had to choose between Eset or Emsisoft, Eset would win every time. (jmpo)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I can't say anything about BD Antivirus Plus since i haven't tried it ( although i am looking for a license).
One thing i can say for BD in general is that they have improved lately in the system performance section.
I mean that the latest versions of BD are lighter on system resources.

About Eset i have to say that is very light on system, it has great detection
but you have to play with HIPS settings to have better protection.
Another plus of Eset is that it has zero impact on boot and shut down time;) on my system.
Overall Eset is a great software:).

Emsisoft also has very good detection and it also has a Behavioral Blocker which is very useful when signatures missed a malware.
Emsisoft 10 has improved a lot on system performance and from my experience is very light on system, the same as Eset:).
Another plus for Emsisoft is -that if you are running a low memory pc 1 or 2 GB of RAM- it uses less RAM than Eset about 20-30 MB.
Emsisoft uses more RAM when it's updating and while scanning the system.
Emsisoft is a set and forget software;).

I hope i have helped:).
Voted Emsisoft

P.S: the best software for me would be Eset with Emsisoft Behavioral Blocker:p:D
and I get pulled over for excessive smileys lol that's too funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.