Battle ESET NOD32 vs. Webroot Complete in Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hi.

Well, I think many would say that I should not match ESET NOD32 with Webroot Complete, because Webroot in this version have some additional features. Well, I like the "simplicity" of ESET NOD32 over ESET Smart Security.

But what about overall protection? I'm a careful user. I just want more lightness... both are light but Webroot is lighter.

Well, I could also have Webroot + Voodooshield :)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Cannot speak for Webroot because I've never used it before but have to say that ESET is extremely light, I would say the lightest AV I have used yet. (Comparing with Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, 360)

H

hjlbx

Does anyone know if Webroot fixed the disabled firewall controls in Windows 10\8 - or - is Webroot still saying nothing about the fact that the WSA firewall controls are disabled on W8/10 systems ?

Mark my word... someone will post a link in this thread to Webroot that states the WSA firewall controls cannot be enabled because of the OS. OK, it's a technical issue... I get that. In light of this technical issue - and until Webroot figures out what it is going to about it (this has been going on since fall of 2012) - Webroot recommends installing a Windows firewall outbound notification soft - like BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control...

However, Webroot does not notify users that the firewall controls are disabled on post-Windows 7 systems prior-to installation; the user only finds out after installing WSA. The whole premise of WSA's firewall "protection" is that it adds some (outbound) notifications to the built-in Windows firewall - that's it. So if the WSA firewall controls do not work - regardless of the reason(s) - the user is left with nothing but Windows firewall's built-in protections = no outbound notifications.

Webroot has been charging W8/10 users all along for those non-functional WSA firewall controls since W8 was released. Think about it. Slimy...

Last edited by a moderator:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Does anyone know if Webroot fixed the disabled firewall controls in Windows 10\8 - or - is Webroot still saying nothing about the fact that the WSA firewall controls are disabled on W8/10 systems ?

Mark my word... someone will post a link in this thread to Webroot that states the WSA firewall controls cannot be enabled because of the OS. OK, it's a technical issue... I get that. In light of this technical issue - and until Webroot figures out what it is going to about it (this has been going on since fall of 2012) - Webroot recommends installing a Windows firewall outbound notification soft - like BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control...

However, Webroot does not notify users that the firewall controls are disabled on post-Windows 7 systems prior-to installation; the user only finds out after installing WSA. The whole premise of WSA's firewall "protection" is that it adds some (outbound) notifications to the built-in Windows firewall - that's it. So if the WSA firewall controls do not work - regardless of the reason(s) - the user is left with nothing but Windows firewall's built-in protections = no outbound notifications.

Webroot has been charging W8/10 users all along for those non-functional WSA firewall controls since W8 was released. Think about it. Slimy...

Good on you for sharing that information.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Either choose on a fully cloud component or optimize protection that binds with traditional signatures.

The third option is highly acceptable, which you shouldn't provide any lapses unless a user mistake from configuration.

I

illumination

Aren't both in Beta for Windows 10?
Webroot released a stable version in June for windows 10.

Version 9.0.0.64 (Released June 29th, 2015)Implemented
  • Correct OS version reporting for Windows versions 8.1 and above.
  • Windows 10 compatibility.
Improved
  • Path normalization for Internet Explorer cache paths.
  • Further scan engine improvements.
  • Aligned agent states.
Fixed
  • Bug fixes.

Reactions: Moose

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
i have used webroot before for three months in Windows 8.1 and never noticed it!

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm assuming anything Webroot would be the lightest and also great at protecting.

Although I voted without full experience, but I do remember things I've read on posts. So I went with Webroot+Voodoo

ESET is also really light, so you're good to go either way ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.