Battle Eset Smart Security 5 or VIPRE Internet Security 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Both have their good and bad.

For an advance user like myself, gaming being the main usage of the laptop, with the specs I have (see signature), which one do you recommend?

Could you provide some constructive feedback and reasons (considering both have a decent web shield and HIPS)? I know there are threads all around with info available, even I provided some.

I currently have a year license for both.

You can also base your feedback on Detection/Cleaning/Speed/System resources.

Configuration wise, either one would be fine (ie: able to tweak a lot or not)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
IF you have ESET you are better of with it than Vipre. Two things I dislike on Vipre is
1. Its on acess scanners do not scan inside Archives
2. HIPS has to be set either for allow or block. IT does not have a system where it temporarily suspends the application until the question is answered. Also it does not have a white list of same applications. They also removed ClearCloud DNS service.

mattfrog

Jun 5, 2012
One thing to consider, and I've not used VIPRE so I can't say it's a unique feature, but ESET has a "Gamer Mode" which silences alerts and reduces certain functions to free up resources :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
On Wilders, there is a drama about the result of ESET on AV-test for its repairing capacities...

P

Plexx

Thread author
I have did some tests on cleaning/repairing and well I do understand the drama for ESET results.

The Gaming mode of ESET is ok like any other gaming mode, but for some odd reason mine gets deactivated after awhile (been reported already if memory serves me right, if not I will report it).

ESET HIPS and VIPRE HIPS are both handy but both have to be configures: ESET to make it Learning mode, while VIPRE to block all but list, so I can create the rules.

I tested ESET and VIPRE and both gave more or less the same results.

If its cleaning/Repairing, I do use other tools too so thats not a prob.

And since I have a license for both, im still not sure which one to use as a main.

mattfrog

Jun 5, 2012
biozfear said:
I have did some tests on cleaning/repairing and well I do understand the drama for ESET results.

The Gaming mode of ESET is ok like any other gaming mode, but for some odd reason mine gets deactivated after awhile (been reported already if memory serves me right, if not I will report it).

ESET HIPS and VIPRE HIPS are both handy but both have to be configures: ESET to make it Learning mode, while VIPRE to block all but list, so I can create the rules.

I tested ESET and VIPRE and both gave more or less the same results.

If its cleaning/Repairing, I do use other tools too so thats not a prob.

And since I have a license for both, im still not sure which one to use as a main.

At a certain point it just comes down to which you think is prettiest.. :D

One thing you may consider is the short-medium term future of each product, with ESET 6 to evaluate, you can see where the product is heading. Not sure about VIPRE, is it adding more cloud features etc.?

P

Plexx

Thread author
I barely touched VIPRE. To be honest I was a Kerio/Sunbelt firewall user after sygate got discontinued, then moved to Comodo's old version of firewall before I started using Internet Security suites. So I am not sure how is VIPRE being developed.

I suppose I need to do further tests in virtual with both products plus some of the online games etc to see the system impact etc...

In the end it seems to boil down to personal preference, unlike a comparison between let's say ClamAV vs Avira.

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Go with VIPRE, as its definition update is twice as fast than ESET. I stopped using ESET for two months after having problem with its HIPS configurations. There was a bug particularly on learning mode if I'm not mistaken, where some remembered rules weren't saved, and I'm not even sure whether they have fixed it or not. Page loading time is quite the same with website protection enabled on both suite.

There isn't much to play with VIPRE by default. I don't see any noticeable impact on internet speed during automatic updates while playing online games. Just stay out from the install beta updates checkbox and you'll be fine.

Both products are good. Pick the one you like and suit you the most.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Roti said:
Go with VIPRE, as its definition update is twice as fast than ESET. I stopped using ESET for two months after having problem with its HIPS configurations. There was a bug particularly on learning mode if I'm not mistaken, where some remembered rules weren't saved, and I'm not even sure whether they have fixed it or not. Page loading time is quite the same with website protection enabled on both suite.

There isn't much to play with VIPRE by default. I don't see any noticeable impact on internet speed during automatic updates while playing online games. Just stay out from the install beta updates checkbox and you'll be fine.

Both products are good. Pick the one you like and suit you the most.

I have checked the rules in HIPS for ESET and they are all there (been running in Learning mode as I can be considered lazy.

My issue with internet security suites/Firewalls is the patchers for the games.

For example, on ESS, with firewall on, I keep getting disconnected form Eligium. Same happened on VIPRE, but if I swap to ESET AV trial + PF, no problem. Still haven't figure it out why is that happening.

I can see both products being good while one is slightly more expensive than the other.

Like I said on another post, if only I could use my ESS license on NOD32, I would not think twice.

That is also the sole reason I have removed any real time protection from my main config and doing the gaming in VM for now.

If I am unable to decide, I will probably go to Avast for now.

This is like shopping for a graphics card!

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Have you put it under whitelist? I have experienced similar problem with Dragon Nest & RoM before (with IDS & HIPS enabled) where I keep disconnected, turns out that the firewall was causing the problem. Then I manually add the executable programs in application rule and switch them to allow for both in and outbound and I was able to connect to the server. Can you connect to the server if the entire firewall is disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.