Battle ESET vs Bitdefender

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Hi, I am wondering which is better for me, in terms of protection and performance.
I need one which gives great performance, good signatures and zero day protection, and low impact of system.
Which do you think is better?

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Hi, ESET gives you better performance, has great signatures ( zeroday protection is almost inexistente) but its fast updating their signatures so he catch alot of new threats and with lw impact.

Bitdefender has great detection but is more heavy in system and some users report slow internet conexion with Bitdefender web shield.

I already used both AV( currently I use ESET) so Its my opinion according my experience;)

Reactions: dhwan and PrMi

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
I just want to tell u that here are much eset "fanboys" they will vote for eset anyway without a statement or knowlegend. so u can chose eset. (I would chose bitdefender),better zero day protection,the newer versions are quit light(lighter than eset on my system),low false positives and bitdefender becomes less buggy.

Reactions: PrMi and Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I just want to tell u that here are much eset "fanboys" they will vote for eset anyway without a statement or knowlegend. so u can chose eset. (I would chose bitdefender),better zero day protection,the newer versions are quit light(lighter than eset on my system),low false positives and bitdefender becomes less buggy.

bitdefender less buggy and improving performance? good to know...

you are right. bitdefender has best zero day protection tecnologies: B-have, AVC( active virus control) to catch new and unknow threats... but when I use it they slow a bit my net conexion:( and when my 2015 - 6 months licency ends, I change to ESET.

I think that is a Dilema between performance and protection, ESET has "less proctive technology" than Bitdefender. If you want protection- Bitdefender is the deal. ESET can protect you but against very recent threats no. ... in version 9 "beta" he block all the unknown threats so its improving...

PS: I'm not a "ESET fanboy":p ...I love Bitdefender, was hard for me living Bitdefender after 3 years on my computer and without any malware.

Reactions: Venustus and PrMi

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
bitdefender less buggy and improving performance? good to know...

you are right. bitdefender has best zero day protection tecnologies: B-have, AVC( active virus control) to catch new and unknow threats... but when I use it they slow a bit my net conexion:( and when my 2015 - 6 months licency ends, I change to ESET.

I think that is a Dilema between performance and protection, ESET has "less proctive technology" than Bitdefender. If you want protection- Bitdefender is the deal. ESET can protect you but against very recent threats no. ... in version 9 "beta" he block all the unknown threats so its improving...

PS: I'm not a "ESET fanboy":p ...I love Bitdefender, was hard for me living Bitdefender after 3 years on my computer and without any malware.
Yes, I saw "The pc security channel" review of eset beta... Got a clean sheet :D
Well, also, most of us don't deal with recent malware, so ESET is better...
Also, Bitdefender is a lot buggier than ESET. I have never seen ESET crashing. But, I have seen Bitdefender facing critical failure.
So according to everything I feel both are good at their fields. Bitdefender at Sigs, and zero day and ESET at Sigs and performance.
So I conclude
ESET=Bitdefender
But, I will use ESET because it provides low impact and better performance.

Reactions: Piteko21

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
We can compare about their identical characteristics:

ESET = more in-detailed/comprehensive techniques which malware/viruses are no way to slip as possible especially in zero day but of course when bypass, a configured HIPS should take care for that.
Contains sandbox components for detecting and run in a isolated environment for analysis.

Bitdefender - optimal detection rates but if bypass then AVC should blocked any suspicious actions without any user interaction. B-Have also acts a sandbox component for analyzing the samples.

In stability well Free version of Bitdefender is fine as I test but that could vary on paid ones. ESET totally proves on well fine resource consumption on the system.

Reactions: Venustus and PrMi

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree Bitdefender can be quite heavy on the system, personally I have not used ESET so I cannot comment on that but from my experience with Bitdefender I think I might not go back. Don't get me wrong their protection is really good, but with bitdefender, start up can be quite slow, and during their updates my computer is almost unusable. And I'm actually using quite a powerful laptop so there should be no reason for this.

I had bitdefender for 6 months with the trial and it occasionally crashed on me (less than 5 times over the use of 6 months). My advice is actually to test it out first, take their 30 day free trial and see how it plays with your computer, some people have reported that it has been very buggy but personally I feel that the bugs can be tolerated with except the one with the update that causes my computer to become very very slow.

Might test out ESET with their free trial some time soon, but I'm quite content with my antivirus right now. :)

dhwan

Level 4
Verified
Jan 10, 2013
Recently I move to Eset after more than year with Bitdefender (see my post at here forum before).
sometime if I must remove threat from removable device, bitde need more and more time, and sometime like no change.
But now with Eset it's very fast, I not boring to wait more time

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.