European Court of Justice declares legal framework for Europe-US data transfers invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In what is being called a “landmark decision”, the European Court of Justice has ruled the Safe Harbour Framework, the legal agreement between Europe and the United States that governs the transfer of personal and private information, invalid because of US law enforcement requirements. This comes after a challenge from Austrian privacy advocate Max Schrems in 2014 to an Irish Data Protection Commission decision to not investigate Facebook’s transfer of European data to US data centers following revelations by Edward Snowden of US intelligence practices.

The decision by the ECJ makes it clear why they decided as they did, saying

".. the national security, public interest and law enforcement requirements of the United States prevail over the Safe Harbour scheme, so that United States undertakings are bound to disregard, without limitation, the protective rules laid down by that scheme where they conflict with such requirements.

The United States safe harbour scheme thus enables interference, by United States public authorities, with the fundamental rights of persons, and the Commission decision does not refer either to the existence, in the United States, of rules intended to limit any such interference or to the existence of effective legal protection against the interference,"

The decision could mean that 5000 businesses believed to be taking advantage of the Safe Harbour Framework will have to revisit their data transfer procedures, and current procedures may run afoul of European data protection laws because of NSA mass surveillance. Facebook, in particular, is at risk due to Schrems’ initial complaint being directed at them.

Some critics to the decision are saying that this may cut Europe off from the online services offered by the United States, leading to businesses who rely on a known legal framework to transfer data to depart Europe. The Computer & Communications Industry Association is urging the EU and US to devise a new Safe Harbour agreement to ensure that businesses are not affected by the decision.

This decision follows in line with previous European rulingss leaning towards personal privacy, such as the so-called "Right to be forgotten" which has been upheld and expanded, as well as supporting Microsoft in it's fight against the US overreach on data in overseas datacenters.

Source: Forbes

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Don't even get me started on the EU court of justice, nor human rights both a load of crap, and do more harm than good. I hope the UK leaves the euro.

Edward Snowden is a liar and a traitor to his country, so many contra-indications from what he did in Hong Kong then Russia. I just hope and pray we do not have another 9/11 because the security communities cannot do their work.

D

Deleted member 178

It is obvious that my datas belong only to the country im citizen and no others...im not US citizen and i will surely not allow them to collect my infos.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Of course a typical people should highten the alert if such piece of information from himself/herself is transmit from other regions without any approval process.

No one deserve to be treat in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.