Advice Request Exclusive first look at some of the new features in Windows 8.1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
The Start screen in Windows 8.1 features a variety of tile sizes including a new large and new small tile, so you can organize your Start screen exactly the way you want it.

467225_10151522560692669_1424374709_o.png

Windows 8.1 offers more colors and backgrounds for the Start screen – including ones with motion.
You can even choose your desktop background as your Start screen background, creating a greater sense of unity and familiarity.

467757_10151522560827669_637097821_o.jpg

In Windows 8.1 your files can be saved directly to SkyDrive, so you can always have your files with you. The new SkyDrive app gives you access to your files that are on your device or in the cloud, and files are accessible even when offline. Also, when you log on to your Windows 8.1 device with your Microsoft account (Outlook.com by default), your device magically becomes personalized with your settings and apps, making switching or setting up a new device really easy.

474348_10151522560977669_951041744_o.png

Windows 8.1 brings variable, continuous size of snap views.

You will have more ways to see multiple apps on the screen at the same time. You can resize apps to any size you want, share the screen between two apps, or have up to three apps on each screen.

963781_10151522560952669_2059313592_o.jpg

Source(Windows Official Facebook page)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Any info if Windows 8.1 will include the traditional Start button? I find that Windows 8 is mainly designed for the touch screens, hopefully this update, will make Windows more desktop friendly!\

EDIT: And it's back : Microsoft 'U-turn' sees Start button back on Windows 8 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22714048

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
From that article it seems the new Start Button will still just take you to the Metro interface, which isn't exactly backtracking on what they're done with Windows 8.

N

Nige_40

Windows 8.1

Info about Windows 8.1

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

and this: http://mashable.com/2013/05/30/windows-8-1-start-button/

I hope this guide help all the Windows 8 users :)

Regards

Nigel

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
Will existing windows 8 users be able to upgrade to windows 8.1 for free, also is there any idea of when it will be released to the public?

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
A preview download of Windows 8.1 will be released to the public in June, and a final version before the end of the year. Both will be free of charge to existing users.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Tom172 said:
From that article it seems the new Start Button will still just take you to the Metro interface, which isn't exactly backtracking on what they're done with Windows 8.

It will not make the user experience more friendly since it just runs in the metro environment. Another fail for Microsoft.

Most users don't need two work environments, it is just stupid to have to switch between metro and desktop to do simple tasks.

The only thing that I even use metro for is playing games, everything else I do from the desktop.

It is just too late for Microsoft to recover from the loss of sells for Windows 8 especially offering an incomplete start button. The small amount of users who have already adapted to Windows 8 metro design will not benefit from Windows 8.1. Most users who are already using a start menu replacement for Windows 8 or who have chosen to not upgrade will also not benefit either.

Maybe Microsoft can regain the sells with Windows 9 if they choose to listen to their users needs.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ditto.

I play Radiant Defense and other puzzle games (ie. Blocked In), but not the Xbox games because they connect with your Microsoft account.

Littlebits said:
The only thing that I even use metro for is playing games, everything else I do from the desktop.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
carl fish said:
Will existing windows 8 users be able to upgrade to windows 8.1 for free, also is there any idea of when it will be released to the public?

It will be available on Windows Store once published from Build Conference this June perhaps.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I still personally think it looks the same and should of been a service pack....

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I believe it's a trend of current software releases, hence ditching the "Service Pack" title.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They can use Service Pack when most dealing security enhancement component so I think having 8.1 is ok since they provide additional features and changes.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I just think it's turning into what Chrome and Firefox does. Releasing updates every month. IF they decide to keep doing this Windows 8.1 and so on I reckon by the end of the year it will be up to Windows 8.9.32.1.

Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Might have to fix the images, as I heard Neowin has picture hotlink protection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
McLovin said:
Might have to fix the images, as I heard Neowin has picture hotlink protection.

Yes, Neowin images are not easily displayed when visited nor log in however those images appear on my browser even didn't browse on that site.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
By the way, IE11 will be coming with Windows 8.1, as you may have read.

James and McLovin, you can view the images only after having visited the main URL of the Article, for now I recommend using an image file hosting site. I have replaced the image URLs to Imgur. Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.