Not open for further replies.

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I never used any of the two suites, but would like to install one. What do you think better? Adding all the pro and cons on average which would be better?

Thank you! Sorry for my English, I have learned a lot here lately but I'm still not fluent!

Reactions: Lailson

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
According to me both are very close performer.
Kaspersky is slightly better than F Secure.

Kaspersky is more resource intensive. Requires 4 GB RAM or more. Daily updates are huge. Expect 50 MB daily update. firewall takes most of the decision itself.

F Secure is light on system resources. daily update are small in size. Sometimes F secure will refuse to delete malwares saying its an archive file. You need to manually upgrade f secure using there updater.
F secure deepguard asks user a lot whether to allow running an application or not.

Reactions: Fel Grossi

mmmory

Level 2
Verified
Nov 4, 2013
I think Kaspersky is just perfect in every way. It performs 100% protection rate constantly in every professional test. It also has a constant 80%+ detection rate of malware packs posted here which I check every day. I'm using on my both pcs and with the latest patches all the bugs and slowdowns is fixed and it's running flawlessly on my system. It may feel a little heavy on older computers, but security wise I can't find a negative thing about it.

F-secure is lighter than kaspersky for sure since it's a cloud based program. It also doesn't have a firewall like KIS, so in terms of complete protection I suggest KIS.

mmmory

Level 2
Verified
Nov 4, 2013

Kaspersky is more resource intensive. Requires 4 GB RAM or more. Daily updates are huge. Expect 50 MB daily update. firewall takes most of the decision itself.

F Secure is light on system resources. daily update are small in size. Sometimes F secure will refuse to delete malwares saying its an archive file. You need to manually upgrade f secure using there updater.
F secure deepguard asks user a lot whether to allow running an application or not.

Am I using the same kaspersky with you? I've never had a huge update after I did my first update which is big on all antiviruses anyway.
The daily updates on kaspersky is literally 1 or 2 megabytes. I think you confused it with bitdefender or gdata..

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

I have used KIS for a long time and never found it to be a problem.I know for a fact it does not require 4GB of ram
Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 Minimum Requirements

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
  • Microsoft® Windows 8.1 /Pro/ Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit**).
  • Microsoft® Windows 8 Pro/ Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit**).
  • Microsoft® Windows 7® Starter/Home Basic and Premium/Professional/Ultimate (32-bit or 64-bit**).
  • Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Basic and Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate SP1 (32-bit or 64-bit**).
Hardware Requirements:
  • CPU: 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) / 64-bit (x64)
  • RAM: 1 GB (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hardware Requirements for Microsoft® Windows® XP Home/Professional (32-bit) SP3 or higher Professional (64-bit**) SP2 or higher:
  • Processor 800 MHz or higher
  • 512 MB available RAM
  • 400 MB of free space on hard drive

Reactions: Koroke San and arsh

arsh

Level 1
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
I have used KIS for a long time and never found it to be a problem
Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 Minimum Requirements

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
  • Microsoft® Windows 8.1 /Pro/ Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit**).
  • Microsoft® Windows 8 Pro/ Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit**).
  • Microsoft® Windows 7® Starter/Home Basic and Premium/Professional/Ultimate (32-bit or 64-bit**).
  • Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Basic and Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate SP1 (32-bit or 64-bit**).
Hardware Requirements:
  • CPU: 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) / 64-bit (x64)
  • RAM: 1 GB (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hardware Requirements for Microsoft® Windows® XP Home/Professional (32-bit) SP3 or higher Professional (64-bit**) SP2 or higher:
  • Processor 800 MHz or higher
  • 512 MB available RAM
  • 400 MB of free space on hard drive
for x64 2gb available or 2gb physical memory....

Reactions: Koroke San

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
What a difficult choice to make!
Having used both, I would have to say Kaspersky,but F-Secure, even without a firewall, is a superb piece of software and lighter to boot!!:)

F-secure is lighter than kaspersky for sure since it's a cloud based program.
By this logic Kaspersky uses the cloud too,but they are not per-se, "cloud based",like Panda or Webroot which almost use the cloud exclusively!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lailson

Infrared

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Feb 15, 2014
Wow this a tough one!! I would prefer Kaspersky if i had to choose between them but really they both are good products so if you had to go with one neither will hurt :)

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
F-secure is lighter than kaspersky for sure since it's a cloud based program. It also doesn't have a firewall like KIS, so in terms of complete protection I suggest KIS.

Compared to Kaspersky, it may not be as customisable, but F-Secure still provides Firewall protection from implementing the use of Windows Firewall - (likewise as do Avira (free & paid) and some other security products). Check the Comodo Leak Test of Windows Firewall on Windows 7, or visit http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/cltinfo.html (safe download).

Finally, a self-built-in Firewall does not mean better, many suites use Anti-leak software or some form of IDS/HIPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.