Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A recent blog post by Mozilla security head Daniel Veditz outlined a particularly malicious exploit that was found embedded in an advertisement on a Russian news site. The exploit, first discovered by a Firefox user, could sift through your local files and upload them to a Ukranian server, all without you knowing.

The vulnerability relied on exploiting Firefox's integrated PDF reader and, therefore, those versions which do not include the feature - the mobile version of the browser - were not affected. While the exploit did not include the execution of external code, it did allow for potentially violating users' privacy by searching through their personal files and uploading them to an external server. Additionally, once the payload was executed, all traces of the exploit were removed.

For a more technical account of what the exploit did, Veditz explains the following:

On Windows the exploit looked for subversion, s3browser, and Filezilla configurations files, .purple and Psi+ account information, and site configuration files from eight different popular FTP clients. On Linux the exploit goes after the usual global configuration files like /etc/passwd, and then in all the user directories it can access it looks for.bash_history, .mysql_history, .pgsql_history, .ssh configuration files and keys, configuration files for remina, Filezilla, and Psi+, text files with “pass” and “access” in the names, and any shell scripts. Mac users are not targeted by this particular exploit but would not be immune should someone create a different payload.

The company is encouraging users to update to Firefox version 39.0.3 - which has fixed the issue - and also exhorts users to change any password or login information stored in the above files.

While Internet malfeasance has always been a threat, the last few weeks seem to have been particularly troubled, with Yahoo suffering from a Flash attack that could have affected millions and the Stagefright vulnerability leaving almost a billion Android smartphones vulnerable to an attack.

Source: Mozilla

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
A recent blog post by Mozilla security head Daniel Veditz outlined a particularly malicious exploit that was found embedded in an advertisement on a Russian news site. The exploit, first discovered by a Firefox user, could sift through your local files and upload them to a Ukranian server, all without you knowing.
Source: Mozilla

Too many bad news about Russians :)

1) Russian Hackers Attacked the Pentagon's Public Email System
2) Malicious exploit that was found embedded in an advertisement on a Russian news site

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
We just cannot let these people win, and we must unite the world and come together - only then, will we stop these threats and attacks.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Based on the description, is it true that this is more dangerous concerning Linux systems rather than Windows systems (assuming no additional security software blocks it)?
I think Ubuntu systems come by default with the Firefox Apparmor profile disabled and few home Ubuntu users use SeLinux.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Based on the description, is it true that this is more dangerous concerning Linux systems rather than Windows systems (assuming no additional security software blocks it)?
I think Ubuntu systems come by default with the Firefox Apparmor profile disabled and few home Ubuntu users use SeLinux.

I read that NoScript blocks that exploit.

Nope, I have never heard of Ubuntu users running SELinux. Infact, majority of home users disable SELinux on distros that comes bundled with SELinux (ex. Fedora).

Reactions: Nikos751

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
By default, does Mozilla Firefox not update automatically?

Nope, Firefox does not update automatically in Linux distros as software packages are rolled out to the users via software repositories.

But at the same time, updates & upgrades in Linux distros are million times faster than Windows.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
By default, does Mozilla Firefox not update automatically?

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.08.10_14h01m11s_002_.png

By default automatically install updates is ticked as is the box below warning you if updates will disable an add-on
Also automatically update search engines is ticked by default
The user must tick one of the two other radio buttons to stop automatic updates

Reactions: McLovin and MrXidus

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Turns out my Firefox based browser (Cyberfox x64) was already protected since I had the affected in-built PDF reader disabled through the use of an add-on called Random Agent Spoofer, then again I don't browse Russian websites but that's not say something like this could have hit massively in western networks / large scale before being discovered.

RASMr_X.png

I don't recommend copying what I've done as it can and will break some websites and cause issues elsewhere.

How ever if you're focused on privacy and security then the features offered in RAS may interest and help you.

Random Agent Spoofer: https://github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer/releases

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
+1 for RAS.I use RAS in FF plus some tweaks to better my security and privacy

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Interesting to say the least. I am not a Firefox user but I have it installed. I just checked and it's on the latest version already. I only visit English & French websites anyways.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Russian an d Chinese hackers are real bad ass :p Thankfully I visit neither of them and I run my browser in SandBox :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Just upgraded to the latest. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.