Follow up on 'COMPUTER SEMI-FROZEN

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
I haven't not been here, I've been trying to study and figure out a course of action. Been all over the internet and back, still trying to see what slows down or freezes up my computer, and been trying to remove some things that came to my attention in Secunia. Mostly old programs that were out of date, and not updated and thus, vulnerable. I love you guys!! I never would have cared if something was not updated before. I thought....'OK, fine. It's expired. Put on something else!' I see now that that idea could lead to some serious problems!

In another article I put up , Paul B. (Paul B.,Friday at 11:39 PM) (http://malwaretips.com/threads/my-computer-is-semi-froze.41134/page-2) asked what my hardware on this computer might be, and, of course, "I don't know" was the answer. So, here is that info: CPU: Intel Celeron 440@2.00 GHz. measured speed: 2.00GHz. Motherboard: 945GCT-M3. Memory: 2039 MNHynix Semiconductor (Hyundai) HYMP112U64CP8.... etc., Video Card: Intel 82945G. Hard Drive: HD160 (160 GB).

Like I said in that thread, I have a zillion IDX folders here, which only double and multiply if I attempt to remove them. They are propagating!! I believe Paul said...'who is making them, where are they coming from?' So, I started looking. This is what I've determined might be a source:

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RealNetworks\RealDownloader\Flash\sharemedia.swf
File size : 840 KiB

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RealNetworks\RealDownloader\Downloader\madatastore.dat
File size : 80.0 Bytes

C:\Program Files\Messenger REALNETWORKS, INC.

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR REALPLAYER AND REALPLAYER PLUS

REDISTRIBUTION NOT PERMITTED

IMPORTANT -- READ CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SOFTWARE: This License Agreement ("License Agreement" or "Agreement") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or an entity) and RealNetworks, Inc. and its suppliers and licensors (collectively "RN" or "RealNetworks") governing your use of RealNetworks’ RealPlayer and RealPlayer Plus software (and any successor and replacement products thereto) which may include components provided by suppliers and licensors to RN (together defined herein as "Software"). The Software may include any Beta, trial, pre-release, free, pay and premium versions of the Software.

C:\Program Files\MSN Gaming Zone\Windows

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\PropertyPanels

C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem

I have attempted to get Real/Real Player off here, and it is in many, many folders. Am I proceeding correctly?

Now, more. I have not backed up this machine yet, due to ...fear, inexperience, and what to tell it to do... and what to buy. Do I need an external thing... like a Data Traveler? Hard disk and how many?? What specifically do I need?

Appreciate any feedback or help and ideas. I really haven't not been here: even if I get a new machine, what I am learning now will still apply!!! Thanks!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Seems to me that your PC is in dire need of some TLC....

-Partition refers to the HDD division.You distinguish that by the letters the OS assigns to them.(C: being the primary....)

-Just in case,Backup your data and Registry.I don't know if you're using your whole disk,but an External HDD(250GB and onward....I use WD) is recommended.

-When encountering rebellious software,I use Revo Uninstaller(I have Ver.2.1.1,which if I remember correctly...it's last version full version before they went with the 30 day trial) to completely remove traces of anything.

-Have you scanned for malware? MalwareBytes and HitmanPro(Hey,you can put Zemana AntiMalware to the test...) are your best bets here.

-After that,finish the job with a a Tune-up solution(Like I said many,many times.....Wise Care 365 Pro does a wonderful job of cleaning your PC and keeping it running fast.)

If you want,I can share with you The Majorgeeks version of Wise Care 365 Pro and the Revo.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallorder

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Seems to me that your PC is in dire need of some TLC....

-Partition refers to the HDD division.You distinguish that by the letters the OS assigns to them.(C: being the primary....)

-Just in case,Backup your data and Registry.I don't know if you're using your whole disk,but an External HDD(250GB and onward....I use WD) is recommended.

-When encountering rebellious software,I use Revo Uninstaller(I have Ver.2.1.1,which if I remember correctly...it's last version full version before they went with the 30 day trial) to completely remove traces of anything.

-Have you scanned for malware? MalwareBytes and HitmanPro(Hey,you can put Zemana AntiMalware to the test...) are your best bets here.

-After that,finish the job with a a Tune-up solution(Like I said many,many times.....Wise Care 365 Pro does a wonderful job of cleaning your PC and keeping running fast.)

If you want,I can share with you The Majorgeeks version of Wise Care 365 Pro and the Revo.
I have Malwarebytes on here, now, but cannot keep it in the tray: computer won't run very well with AVAM., Luckily, following a tip from MT, I had just put on Revo Ininstaller 2 days ago, and needed it desperately today!! It took off Panda, that I just thought I could use to scan, but that would be safe and easy to remove. It locked horns with AVAM, and wouldn't go away.

What is WD? I assume you mean an external hard-drive with HDD? Will it hold everything on my computer for a backup? The problem here is that I have never backed up, and can't tell it to just backup this or backup that: I do not know what to tell it to back up... (which I am noticing seems to be more than just my problem: was talking with another new member today, same problem.) I will be going to do that tonight, hopefully, or in the morning, with the program...Aoemi.. or ? suggested for the simple minded...

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi @tallorder WD is a brand of Hard drive, WD is short for Western Digital. Yes HHD is Hard drive Usually HDD Hard Disk Drive.
You can read about that here!! AOEMI is very user friendly. I use Macrium Reflect, but a lot of our members like AOEMI
I'm sure you won't have any problems with it.

http://www.wdc.com/en/

Last edited:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
WD is Western Digital.Usually,their newer drives comes with Auto Backup Software you can configure....They even come with Cloud Storage!

I've been eyeing this model for quite a while....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n_digital_2tb_blue-_-1E8-0005-00027-_-Product

As long as you treat them right,they will not fail you.AVAM? Do you mean AntiVirus and Anti Malware or is it a new brand?!

Believe or not,I haven't used any of those Backup Suites.I'm very old school in that aspect:I go to the Users folder on C:,locate the profile folder and either copy it completely or choose the important stuff(Docs.,Desktop,Pictures,etc) and verify if there's important files on the C drive.I heard good things about Aomei,so try it out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.