FONZs config

FONZACUS

Thread author
Oct 21, 2014
im still proud of windows 7. bought a toshiba something with 8 a few months before 8.1. even after udpating i still H8d it so im using linux mint cinnamon on it. its more of a casual laptop, my main computers still my ancient super PC.

i prefer the UAC disabled because i find it sort of annoying having to confirm every action. my computer ATMs still a basic install since i plan on reintalling, updating and stuffing my usual stuff into it after a few tips from here.

so yeah, just got a virus after so many years a few days ago and finished a basic reinstall after i was hit with 'win32 virut'. CIS did detect the infections, but was buggy during the scan and would often stop after just beginning a scan. after it was detected it was quarantined and no option to clean. the problem is many basic windows programs were deleted as well such as explorer.exe and so on.

after a while i decided to connect to the internet and read about what it was and finding a quick solution. AVGs 'virus remover for win32/virut' did manage to clean the infected programs without deleting it. after a boot scan everything was clean. my computer was still crippled though missing many basic windows programs.

now id like some suggestions to a free antivirus that has a 'clean' function that attempts to fix the infected programs without deleting if possible. i forgot which of the three major A brands (avira, AVG, avast) had it. i doubt other major brands are offering a complete security suite like comodo so id like some suggestions for a firewall too, and if needed an antimalware. TBH, i dont go to any sketchy sites, friends on the other hand...

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
FONZACUS, yours is an amazingly thorough narrative append-iced to your configuration!
Do you have any computer image, perhaps the original installation disks, for your windows 7 somewhere? I ask because someplace, don't ask me where,:confused: we'd created and immediately forgot about two or three recovery discs made the very first day we powered up our Vaio lap top with Windows 7.:oops:;)

It's possible the AV you've described may be Avira Free.
This was the AV we'd used on an XP desktop which sleeps whilst I fire up our old Dell which still sails the internet seas under the lubuntu flag!:) I think highly of linux, and am pleased to see I am not the only one.:p

As for the AV you've described, I remember Avira granted the option to choose which action (delete, quarantine, or ignore) to execute.
On Windows 8.1 we've been using Avast! which attempts to repair, and if unable, deletes the infection. There may be further options to forgo deletion though I'm not certain.

At one time I'd thought UAC annoying too, but Malware Tips and it's wisened oracles whom dwell in the Hall of Malware Prevention, high amongst the clouds of knowledge, convinced me otherwise!:D Today, I read this thread
My family and I recommend and use on our own systems:
  1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, on demand secondary scanner https://www.malwarebytes.org/
  2. CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download which is a tool that primarily removes accumulated temporary files and, in the process, protects your privacy as well. It's safe enough to use every day!;) At the bottom of the page under "Builds" is the portable version I use.
  3. Malwarebyte Anti-Exploit Free https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/ silently protects browsers & apps from exploit threats.
Thank you for sharing your configuration with us!:):)

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Definitely enable UAC! I know it can be a pain but after a while it becomes 2nd nature.
Having one ,two or 3 on demand scanners at your fingertips is also a good idea.Malwarebytes,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,HitmanPro and ESET Online Scanner or good options
Personally I would use CCleaner or Privazer.Im not big on the utility programs.
Only thing I would add to FF is HTTPS Everywhere
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: FONZACUS

FONZACUS

Thread author
Oct 21, 2014
thanks for the tips guys

only the basic 7 disk and a backup on my D. reinstalling and reupdating it agains going to be a pain but ill just get my little brother to do it for me.

having removed CIS and reinstalling avira it did look familiar with a quarantined then clean function. i cant open the malwarebytes site ATM but is it like other antimalware softwares? other sites dont really have as much detailed info as the official site. the last i tried was one that started with an S (i know, very vague) and it had an auto delete when detected. id prefer not to go through what happened with CIS. might even try avast again since i dont really remember why i didnt like it. still not too sure about UAC though, ive grown to hate it on windows 8.

as for firewalls a few sites did say windows firewall ranks near the top, and using windows (8) firewall control 'addon' improves it. i might as well jump into the deep end and hope i stay afloat.

as for general browsing, i usually have an SSH, but im too lazy to set it up ATM knowing ill reinstall it in a few days XD.

FONZACUS

Thread author
Oct 21, 2014
(sorry if im posting this in the wrong subforum, i cant find a 'general security software' thing. if it does exist please move it there for me)

im trying to find a decent free AV that can clean/fix/treat an infected file if possible. ill also use malwarebytes as many AVs tend to miss general malware. IMO comodo internet security (CIS) is a great package, but like many AVs it tends to just stuff whatever it finds into the quarantine until the user decides to delete it. in my config thread cat suggested avira, but i sort of feel like exploring other options on a few more reinstalls. its not that i dont like avira but yeah, the worlds big, might as well go out and about.

as for firewalls people do say windows firewall is good, and using 'windows firewall control'. ive been playing around with it and it has a good mix of settings and its easier to navigate than the standard windows firewall.

im not sure whatever security software id need. i rarely do anything sketchy, and the last time i was hit was because i forgot i hadnt scanned my friends external before using it.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well talking about antiviruses, i believe there are lot many threads discussing about product comparison, i suggest u to look over there for more information.
According to me what i have learned being in this forum is, if u have Windows 8 system i suggest u to use :
Default System security + MalwareBytes Anti Exploit + McShield Antimalware tool + Winpatrol Free for real time protection.
U may add MBAM and EEK and Hitman Pro for Ondemand Scanners.
With all this one tool u must have is CCleaner

FONZACUS

Thread author
Oct 21, 2014
thanks for the link to the emergency kit, it does look promising.

those threads usually have basic info and stuff, im looking for user experience, particularly an AVs 'cleaning' ability and not just quarantining and awaiting user deletion. of course id like the 'cleaning' part as an 'if its possible', if not i dont mind it being in the quarantine. surely avira cant be the only one?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
thanks for the link to the emergency kit, it does look promising.

those threads usually have basic info and stuff, im looking for user experience, particularly an AVs 'cleaning' ability and not just quarantining and awaiting user deletion. of course id like the 'cleaning' part as an 'if its possible', if not i dont mind it being in the quarantine. surely avira cant be the only one?
Not really if u are looking for an alternative, Avast Free/ Quihoo 360 Security would be a better if u havent yet tried.!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.